UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Just joined.tell me what I need to know before buying

Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #46
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quite a few folks on here buy spares from Moto Rapido (the Winchester based Ducati dealer) who are generally very helpful and get hold of stuff quickly - I believe there may be a discount if you say you're a member of UKMOC.

Pompone will no doubt be along shortly to try and sell you "trinkets" (shiny metal bits - not necessarily essential but the sort of bling which many Monsteristi find themselves drawn to).
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #47
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
yep, +1 for Moto Rapido.

I get my Ducati parts from there even though there is a Ducati dealer about 15 miles down the road from me.
It doesn't take long to get on first name terms with them, they are very helpful happy bunch.
I like that they take so much trouble to cross reference the parts to make sure you get the right bit for your model/year.

And yes they do give a discount for UKMOC members. I just got a pair of belts for my 2000 M900sie for £31...should be the same as yours Drum.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #48
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
It's always worth quoting chassis numbers on odd bikes like the 900ie. It had a lot of part changes over it's very short manufacturing run. This caught me out at least once when I ended up with the wrong rear brake master cylinder. I ordered one based on the 51 plate 2002 registration, but it was actually a 2001 spec 900ie. Many bikes sit around in storage before being registered, so number plate isn't an accurate indication of model/year for ordering parts. Ducati also had a habit of swapping things mid production run in the early days.

The hooped suspension model 900ie (2001), and S4 chassis non-hooped 900ie (2002) look very similar at first glance, but there are actually a lot of major changes. A few apart from chassis being wiring loom, factory immobiliser, clocks, ECU, electronic speedo, rear master cylinder etc...

The belts and many other parts should be the same, but it's worth quoting a VIN number to be sure

Last edited by gary tompkins; 06-01-2014 at 11:17 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #49
scrapps

Yep good point Gary as I got caught when ordering a chain for the 900ie as the S4 frame has a longer swinging arm.(drum yours will be the later non hoop S4 frame)
Old 07-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #50
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #51
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Are you 'avin' a go or what Dirty.?.

A Magpie is a Gazza in Italian.....And I do like shiney things..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 07-01-2014 at 05:04 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #52
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Ha, well I never! I'd like to blag it and pretend I speak fluent Italian and was making a clever cross reference but no one would believe me!

I like shiny things too!
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #53
pompone
MaleDucati

Bike: M900
I do not sell "trinkets". I'm not Halfords..
Old 19-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #54
Drumnagorrach

Scrapps ex Monster arrived yesterday,courtesy of twist grip bike movers justin@twistgripmotorcyclemovers.co.uk, I can recommend them. Delighted by how tidy the bike is and how light.A bit wary of the electronics,when I turned it on,lots of whirring ,lights and instruments doing stuff,being a bit of a Luddite ,it may take some time to get used to. Compared with the the throttle response of the Guzzi,this monster is amazing
So thanks Guys for your input over the last month and thanks Scrapps for the offer I couldn't refuse.
Lee
p.s.
See I've amended my bike details,chuffed.

Last edited by Drumnagorrach; 19-01-2014 at 10:19 AM..
Old 19-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #55
jarv

Congratulations!
Old 19-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #56
BeePee

Bike: S2r
Well done mate, now go and join Ducati Up North and the Scottish Ducati club, loads of runs, social meets and weekends away.........
Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #57
Drumnagorrach

Smile The roads were dry this evening

With the last rays of the afternoon sun today the roads finally were dry,still salty ,but dry.
So I sneaked my new( ex scrapps )M900 out for a bit of a ride.As I was advised a bit lumpy at low revs but 3000rpm and above ,it flies ,what a lovely engine , so smooth and tractable, no where near as thumpy in the hands as a Guzzi. I had ridden a friends ST2,I imagined the Monster would be similar but its a lot livelier.
It's taken me 54 years to get around to a Ducati,don't think I would have bothered with Guzzi's if I had ridden a Ducati first.
Now, better go and make sure it's not got salt lurking in the nooks and crannies.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #58
scrapps

Glad you got out for a spin on it at last. I would need a jet ski to get out today
Roll on the summer and some nice weather to enjoy the bikes.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #59
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
Well done mate, now go and join Ducati Up North and the Scottish Ducati club, loads of runs, social meets and weekends away.........

Worth a try to meet up with more local guys.

Though it seems to have become very quiet with a lot fewer participants from what I've noticed, the aftermath of the classic/modern clique spats I think.
I mostly stopped using it when events turned into a weekend away marathon club holidays and the day trippers were frozen out.
Shame really as I did enjoy a good day out.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #60
Drumnagorrach

[QUOTE=Dave G;476788]Worth a try to meet up with more local guys.

i have been quite envious of mentions by south eastern English chaps ,when they arrange meets,in the dead of winter.],Not a viable proposition "north of the wall" and You are probably 150 odd miles away from me,so even in summer it's a long way.
But I'm up for meets at Glenshee or Fort William or closer to home at Braemarr.
Cheers
Lee