UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello and 600/750?

Old 22-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #61
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
On the same lowering theme, I've recently been wondering whether its possible to lower a monster with hoop type suspension linkage by replacing the locknuts on the rose joints with thinner ones, ie normal thickness for locknuts rather than the thicker std nuts that Ducati use.
I can't see it compromising the system in any way and it may allow you to screw the rose joints in by a further turn. This won't lower it much of course, but it might be the little bit that makes all the difference, and it would cost virtually nothing and be a whole lot simpler to do than getting the hoop shortened.

Incidentally, while I'm on the subject, its worth checking those rose joints on a newly acquired monster as they are prone to seizing.
Bounce the rear suspension and listen for squeaks. Then spray with wd40 or similar (I prefer gt85) and see if its any quieter. If so, remove and regrease or replace the rose joints.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #62
Nwsparky

Still 2 sleeps to go but I've managed to sort another picture!

I say sleep, not seemed to be able to get much this week!
Old 26-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #63
wurzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I disconnected/bypassed my sidestand switch a couple of years ago, and intended to buy one of the conversion kits (TPO ?) that link it to the neutral switch, so you can start the engine with the sidestand down, but only if its not in gear.
I never got round to it though and, like an idiot, a couple of months ago I ended up thumbing the starter while standing next to the bike, while it was in gear.
The bike jumped off the sidestand, fell sideways on a lamppost before I could catch it, and dented the tank.
So I wouldn't recommend just bypassing the cutout and relying on memory.
I now have a homemade mod which involves just 12 ins of wire, a bullet connector if you're being fussy, and a diode, which does the job.
I only did it a short while ago though, and since then I've had an electrical glitch which melted the alternator/reg.rec connector block. Its almost guaranteed that this is completely unrelated to the diode mod, but I'll give it a few weeks running with the glitch repaired (alternator is now hard-wired to the reg/rec ) before I post details, as electrics isn't my hot subject and I would hate to risk causing your electrics to melt too, despite that being unlikely.
The mod is dead easy to do though, and super neat as well as cheap.
Mind you, my monster is a carby, so I've got no expensive electronics to risk by an amateur mod like this. Again, I think that's unlikely, but I'm not really qualified to state that for certain.
Anyway, I'll post it up in a few weeks, once its been fully road tested.
I have been told that when the bike is on the side stand, and if the engine was running, the engine oil is not distributed correctly and may cause problems. Not sure if this is true..?
Old 26-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #64
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
I have been told that when the bike is on the side stand, and if the engine was running, the engine oil is not distributed correctly and may cause problems. Not sure if this is true..?
I'm no expert but wouldn't that mean bendy roads / tracks would do the same?
Old 27-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #65
Nwsparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
I'm no expert but wouldn't that mean bendy roads / tracks would do the same?
I would think a long sweeping left would indeed be the same....?