UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Saying Hello

Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #16
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomp1 View Post
bored? impossible.
Tom, show us some piccies..
Agreed! Should never have sold it

Agree with the piccies though...
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluprintZ View Post
It's not usually the engine rattlin', more likely the clutch, which is normal.
Can be quite alarming for those who have never heard one before, makes them think something is wrong with the engine, when in fact it is just the "song" of the Monster, innit?
cough wet clutch on a 600, dry on a 900 cough

They can sound errr, rough on tick over when compared to jap stuff, but a good service and it'll be better. I'd also get the clutch fluid changed (the bit in the hose), just like bleeding the brakes so not difficult, and I'd suggest you get that down aswell if you're getting it serviced.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
tomscotland

Bikes back after it's service - belts replaced and the electrics sorted. Everything works and it's great. Had it out today and it I like it. I'll try to get a pic on this when I can find the time to figure out how to load one on. Thanks for all the advice. Tom
Old 13-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
tomscotland

The cowl behind the seat has a crack running about 3 inches - I know these will be scarce and I wondered if anybody has repaired one and how it turned out ?
I though I could take it off and glue it from underneath ?
Tom
Old 13-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Glue it or plastic weld it from underneath, that should do the trick!

Glad everything is up and running for you!

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
tomscotland

Thanks - I'll give it a try.
The bike seems to have a flat spot - it kind of sits back and then it catches and realy pulls away. Anybody else ever have this, I wonder if it's a carb problem or something ? Tom
Old 22-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #22
He11cat

Love the noise myself... ive worked my way through a lot of bikes ...would never touch a Tractor again..yawn yawn...
Monster is loads different then my inline 4 (of course lol).. but its kinda laid back and lazy... actually was hoping be a little noisier!
Things like R1's dont do anything for me always had something odd... quirky or plain daft.
Id say the monster has its own song too but its a nice happy one..mine will be when the wee beasts fixed!
Mines got bog standard cans on til I can sell my kidney!.. but even then it had a nice sound through the underpass..
My greybike I have to say does put a grin on my face as well as its like a dragbike and upsets the R1 sorts...they called it a nasty 80's throwback the other week... ..its not that old!!. oh pre haps they meant me!!
You will find out soon enough.. if your a speed freak then id say no.... but if you want to get somewhere in style and comfort and have something with a difference then cool!
Old 22-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #23
Gadget
wtf...

Bike: Multiple Monsters
For your neutral light problem check the connector at the rear of the engine. In the small recess near the rear master brake cylinder.
They sometimes come loose.

Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #24
tomscotland

Cheers guys. Its running well, now just got this power surge thing to sort out. My mate says to try a petrol cleaner additive in case there's a carb needle blockage ? I'll try that, other than that it's great and I love it. All the lights work - the neutral light as well.
I bought a workshop manual today so one way or another it looks like the bikes staying now, it's mine and has joined the family haha.
He11cat sorry to read you've got some jobs to do on yours ? Tom
Old 23-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #25
PhilLew
600 dark

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Hi Tom, welcome to the club. glad you got the bike sorted.

THIS is the 'best forum in the world, ever' for Monster owners but it might be worth checking out www.ducati-upnorth.com also.

It covers all Ducati's not just monsters and has a section devoted to SDC (Scottish Ducati Club) there are a few of us on here who are members there and it'll give you more of a chance to meet up with local Ducati owners.

Cheers Phil.
PhilLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #26
MonstaChicky

My neutral light is out too...I think it's a feature

They are loud and distinctive sounding bikes...gets lots of attention and turns heads...great!
Old 24-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #27
tomscotland

I know it sounds different it - had me a wee bit worried at first and I wondered if something was wrong with it ? Now I know it's just how it sounds. I'm not used to anything else so I'll prob keep it and just fix things as they go wrong, as long as it's not too often, doesn't leave me stranded anywhere horrible and doesn't cost me more than I want to spend on it. It's only for week-ends anyway.
They do look great though !
Old 24-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #28
Captain Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscotland View Post
I know it sounds different it - had me a wee bit worried at first and I wondered if something was wrong with it ? Now I know it's just how it sounds. I'm not used to anything else so I'll prob keep it and just fix things as they go wrong, as long as it's not too often, doesn't leave me stranded anywhere horrible and doesn't cost me more than I want to spend on it. It's only for week-ends anyway.
They do look great though !
Hi Tom,

i'd add to PhilLew's endorsement about Ducati Up North forums - there's also the Scottish Ducati Club - http://www.scottishducaticlub.co.uk - who are a really good bunch of folk and will be able to give you local support and info, plus organised ride-outs, social events etc...

hope you enjoy the monster - they do have a certain character and soul you'll get kind of attached to...

will miss mine when it goes soon...
Old 24-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #29
tomscotland

Thanks everybody. I'm enjoying it fine and I like how it looks but it's got something not right somewhere. I took it out tonight for a run - about an hour. It runs poor and then surges and runs totally different and is like a different bike altogether. It could catch me out as it surges when I don't expect it, it just suddenly surges and goes so well for a while, accelerates realy great and pulls from any speed, not for long though. I'll need to get it sorted. Has anybody else had this ? Is it likely to be a carb issue ? Is it me ? LOL
Old 17-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #30
tomscotland

I've put in the petrol additive and now the bike refuses to run. It won't start now. Has anyone else tried this and got this result ?