UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Saying Hello

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
tomscotland

Saying Hello

Just joined having bought a black 600 '95 Monster. Hope I 've not made yet another mistake ! It looks stunning but I don't know how they're supposed to sound ? Is mine ok if it's sounds a bit "thrashy" on start up ?
I'm new to biking and this is my 2nd bike. I don't know much about them really. Grateful for any comments ?
Tom
Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Good oil every 3K, belts at 12K or 2years, lots of love and attention.
They all have a bit of a loud engine, its all those big bits of metal slopping around, LOL you ought to hear the air cooled clutches!!
It isn't asnywhere near as fast a a Jap 600/4 but what you have is usable and you have some nice roads up there to use it all. Enjoy
Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
BluprintZ

Welcome mate!

Don't know what you mean by thrashy, mine sounds like two skeletons sh@ggin' in a biscuit tin...not that i've ever experienced such a thing but you get my point i'm sure?
They can be an acquired taste to some riders, although you're just starting out on the sometime rocky road of bikerdom, so you'll be more likely to adapt to a Ducati, than if you'd been hooning around on an R1 or similar before.
Because they are a V twin, or "L" twin as the engine configuration is referred to, they have a character of their own, so you'll either end up loving it forever and ever, or you'll hate Ducati's forevermore, it won't take long for you to find out, one way or t'other.

G : )
Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluprintZ View Post
Welcome mate!

Don't know what you mean by thrashy, mine sounds like two skeletons sh@ggin' in a biscuit tin...not that i've ever experienced such a thing but you get my point i'm sure?
They can be an acquired taste to some riders, although you're just starting out on the sometime rocky road of bikerdom, so you'll be more likely to adapt to a Ducati, than if you'd been hooning around on an R1 or similar before.
Because they are a V twin, or "L" twin as the engine configuration is referred to, they have a character of their own, so you'll either end up loving it forever and ever, or you'll hate Ducati's forevermore, it won't take long for you to find out, one way or t'other.

I'm a lover not a hater
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Pomp1

Quote:
Welcome mate!

Don't know what you mean by thrashy, mine sounds like two skeletons sh@ggin' in a biscuit tin

George, you should write a book anyway Tom welcome! as it has been said you either love or hate them, but most people will be fascinated by the machine and the engine. Most people that buy a Ducati they'll be hooked up for life. Some they go out, buy another bike and then come back because well, just isn't the same.Now enjoy the ride!
PS what do you mean "yet another mistake"? come on, tell us, we can be trusted!

Last edited by Pomp1; 06-08-2009 at 10:54 PM..
Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
tomscotland

I'm the kind of stupid guy that goes for looks, falls in love with it and dosn't care what comes next - if you know what I mean. It's just a bit noisy when I start it and it does vibrate a bit through the pedals and seat. I don't know much about bikes so it's going in for a service to get checked out and get the kind of things done that you'd expect. I hope it all works out as it looks really great. I want the service as it's sititng on 20060 miles so I think the belt need changing ? The thrashy is how I describe it and I hope it's nothing other tha the two cylinder thing as you say guys. Thanks for replying so fast - great ! Bye the way I forgot to mention that the nearside indicator doesn't work either, i hope it's a fuse or the switch just an easy fault to repair, and the neutral light on the display panel lol It look great though !
Tom
Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Welcome Tom!

Check the bulb, connectors and fuse for the indicator, it might be all 3!!

Vibration at tickover yep ive got that!

Quote:
mine sounds like two skeletons sh@ggin' in a biscuit tin
George, that is just you mate not the bike!

Respect!

Yorkie
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'm sure you'll love it mate, and end up doing what I'm planning to do today and ignore fact that I've got two phone conferences I'm meant to be on this afternoon and instead I'm sodding off in to the Peak District for a bit as I've had a ****e week!

Good luck with the service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
Vibration at tickover yep ive got that!

George, that is just you mate not the bike!

Respect!

Yorkie
Both of you... funny as f**k!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
boris
More Tools!

Boosting Numbers

Hello Tom and welcome to The Club.
Glad to hear that you've made that 'giant leap' for biking-kind. As others will say - it's a Marmite thing, love it or hate it. Mind you, saying that, I hate Marmite. LOL. It's about time there were more Monsters in this beautiful country. Just think, there are probably loads out there languishing in commuter land wishing they could be let loose on our fantastic roads. Don't tell too many people though!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
BluprintZ

Tom - It's not usually the engine rattlin', more likely the clutch, which is normal.
Can be quite alarming for those who have never heard one before, makes them think something is wrong with the engine, when in fact it is just the "song" of the Monster, innit?

Yorkie - cheers mate, hope you're feeling a bit better, you as well Albie.

Jim - you bothering with Rivvy Barn this Sunday bud?
I'm setting off up North in an hour or so, text me if you decide you're going.

Ciao..for now.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Quote:
Tom
Jim - you bothering with Rivvy Barn this Sunday bud?
I'm setting off up North in an hour or so, text me if you decide you're going.

Will do mate, hangover allowing!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
tomscotland

Thanks for your replies and yes I suppose I am a bit worried that I've bought a pup if you know what I mean ?
The indicator (nearside) doesn't want to work and the display for "in neutral" either but hopefully my local bike shop will sort it for me. I want the belts all done quick and then I know I can get out on it.
I bought it and drove it 60 odd miles home, thought I felt a miss and it sat back once or twice and then came back on when I was driving ?
It looks great though and I like the look much more than my first bike ( 535 Virago ) which was smooth and easy to drive though. Keeping my fingers crossed !! Tom
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomp1 View Post
Most people that buy a Ducati they'll be hooked up for life. Some they go out, buy another bike and then come back because well, just isn't the same.
I did exactly that… bought a 600 Monster as my first bike…loved it… got “bored”… sold it… bought a Thundercat… regretted it… Thundercat on ebay… looking for another Monster!

Welcome by the way!
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
tomscotland

Cheers - I'm sure I'll love it as it's different and I like that. I'm sure it's fine as well, I'm just nervy till it's serviced etc. Tom
Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
Pomp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
bought a 600 Monster as my first bike…loved it… got “bored”
bored? impossible.
Tom, show us some piccies..