UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Wellcome from the YellaMonsta

Old 11-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
YellaMonsta

Wellcome from the YellaMonsta

Hi guys,

I have been looking to get a my first big bike after my DAS a few weeks ago. I was looking at SV's and the like, Bandit or Hornet. You know cheap biking.

My ultimate bike would be a Ducati Sport Classic 1000 Paul Smart replica. That’s the bike that floats my boat. Well I am not up for that kind of purchase quite yet. Next year may be different.

i never thought about getting a Monster because of the usual, it will break, its slow, its badly built, its not in your budget... etc.

I went to see a bike last night and my heart totally ruled my head and against my better judgement and that of my biking mates, I bought a 1995 Ducati 600 Monster. It was high miles for a Ducati with a genuine 23,000 on the clock. Well some of my mates seem to think that’s high for a Ducati.

I paid bang on parkers list price for it, which makes it so far under my budget its unture.
The nice chap I bought it from sells bikes for a living and delivered it to me and gave me a water proof cover from his Daytona as he knew it would be a while before I get a garage space for it. Very decent of him.
It’s yellow (the colour I really wanted) and it’s had two new tyres a full service and the belts done, new bearings and over all it’s a nice bike with perfect front forks and seals. It has a year’s tax and mot and it’s been fairly well maintained.

I am over the moon and can’t wait to clean it up to my standard and detail it. I can’t believe I bought a Ducati. My wife is so happy for me as this is the brand she likes the most.

I know its just a plain jane 584cc bike and only has around 50bhp, but I am dead chuffed. Its a DUCATI!!! What a great first bike and I'll maintain it to a high standard, do most of the work bar electrics myself.

I don’t have picture but this is what it kinda looks like.

It felt small though when I sat on it. So light compared to the CBF600 I learned on and the engine feels different when revving. V Twin??

Now I just need some insurance any recommendations?

Cheers

Al
Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Diego

Welcome YellaMonsta and congrats on your new bike!

People often underestimate the 600. When treated nicely service wise and tweaked to your liking it's a lotta fun. It defo has enough power for London use!!!

Get some carbon pipes as soon as you can.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
YellaMonsta

Which brand of pipe should I go for? i want the whole Ducati sound from the V twin.

Also I hope this bike performs on the B-roads. i know its not a sports bike but sporty enough to take on or keep up with my mates 00 Bandit and my other mates CBF600 then I'd be happy.

I just need to live with them between 40-90mph above that and i'm not interested.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
squiffything

Hi Al and welcome to the gang. There are quite a few old monnie owners here with oodles of knowledge for you to tap into. If you haven't already done so have a good look at Shandy's rebuild of his yellow 600 for complete inspiration of the sort of things you can do.

Get yourself out and about with the London boys if rideouts are the sort of thing you're into Slob and Headhunter (the London Reps) will be along to say hello soon I'm sure.

Excellent choice of bike and may you have many years of monstering ahead of you.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
YellaMonsta

Thanks buddy,

As I'm a new biker I just need to build up some more riding skills and easy myself in.

I was told by bloke who definatly in the anti Ducati club to expect to be left behind alot. Even by basic Jap 500's and 600's. Hmmn.. its cool I am still buzzing that I have Ducati. The big Ducati will come soon enough. I just need to learn alot about biking in general.

Al
Old 11-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
yantheman
Bronze Member

Bike: M620sie
Welcome, I am new to biking as well.

Thats rubbish.. Never been beaten at the lights by any Japs inline 4 at the range of 0-60. Thats enough to lose the license in one hit already.

Of course beaten by Diego... how do you manage to ride that fast Diego? LOL

Last edited by yantheman; 11-08-2008 at 08:05 PM..
yantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaMonsta View Post
Which brand of pipe should I go for? i want the whole Ducati sound from the V twin.
Depends on your funds and taste. I like the Ducati Performance pipes.

Quote:
Also I hope this bike performs on the B-roads.
Bike is at its best on b-roads!

Quote:
I just need to live with them between 40-90mph above that and i'm not interested.
Easily done!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
YellaMonsta

Excellent then I am chuffed. My mates are happy about my purchase but its mates of mates who are the experts.

Anyway I'm gonna sort insurance and bike locks tonight.

Where can I get a replacement rear hugger from cheap?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Nice one Yella, dared to be different and got a real bike
I don't know why there is so much ill informed rumour about Ducatis, perhaps the Japs have a secret rumour mongering scheme. They respond to TLC but all bikes do and I don't think are any less reliable than anything else. Water is OK too, they don't stop in the rain if they do it'll be your fault for not keeping the connectors clean and greased. Mines been up to the bottom of the headstock in water (last years floods) and didn't miss a beat over the 4 hours I was splashing my way home.
On the miles 23K isn't that high, it's still below the current 'normal' annual averages, mines done 20K now with 15K of that in the last 18 months!
The only time I've been let down was a snapped chain and a flat tyre.

It will be slower than a jap 600 in a straight line but when you get to real monster territory (twisties) the roads level things out and it's more about the rider, and when you get it right it is very good. Plus the engines are so nice to ride but do take a bit of getting used to.
Having said that there is a lovely clip on you tube with a 600 (called Pinky) leaving a much bigger jap 4 off of the lights on a 'run what ya brung' day.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
[QUOTE=Now I just need some insurance any recommendations?
[/QUOTE]

ebike insurance are pretty good.

Congratulations on your choice of bike - I had a yellow 1995 M600 as my first bike. I wouldn't worry about the mileage issue as long as the bike has been regularly serviced and had the belts done on schedule. Contrary to popular belief Ducatis like to be used regularly - keeps them running sweet! Bikes that have been stood for ages often suffer from perished rubber components(fork seals, wheel bearings + belts can harden over time) + electrical gremlins from moisture getting in. Use the bike as much as possible and enjoy!
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Hey, welcome! 600 is a fantastic bike for London and the mileage isn't a problem if it's been looked after. Make sure the cam belts have been replaced within the last two years and the oil changed regularly etc and it will be fine.

I'm off on one here, but these guys who say Ducatis are unreliable - what a crock of sh*te. They're mostly people who buy new or nearly new J*p bikes and have never had a Ducati but know a mate of a mate of.... who had problems with his because it was 15 years old and he/she never maintained it or maintained it themselves badly. Ducatis seem to last longer than J*p bikes cos they're cared for and are still good bikes whatever there age. Any old bike will have its problems, just like old cars will. There you go - I'm done.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
YellaMonsta

Well my bike did come with some evidence of service history but not fully documented. The previous owner knows his Ducati’s and maintained it fairly well.

It’s been properly serviced, but I may do it all again next month apart from the belts which he had proof.

I am pretty handy with the spanners so this bike will be highly maintained. Need to learn about bikes though.

No I am intending on cleaning the bike up as it’s grimey in places. I’ll lube it up, but with electrical connectors should I just unclip WD40 them all and put em back?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome to the club, what end of London are you in?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Got a spare Haynes '91 on manual if you want it?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #15
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Hey fella, welcome to the club and excellent choice of bike.

Hope to catch you about, if you fancy meeting up with some other Monsters.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote