UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Suggestions on my S2R, mods, how to do them and where etc

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
littlejimmy12

Suggestions on my S2R, mods, how to do them and where etc

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2005 S2R and I love it 2 bits, its fantastic to ride on long journeys and in town where it rocks.

Its been a month now and I now want to make it more my bike by adding some mods to it.

things I want to change - mirows (bar end??) exaust (termi - side by side or have seen this single box type affair on an S4 which I loved and looks v loud, does anyone know what this is and where to get) rear Hugger, Tail chop.

If anyone has any other sugestions please add as I'm looking at lots of monsters and would apreciate any suggestions.

tar

lil jimmy
Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Jings! Where to begin!
First mod I'd suggest is an unseen one but very noticable to you- a 14tooth front sprocket.
I'll go through some of the things I've done to mine, its also worth checking out a few others on here....Markus springs to mind here.
You can get some nice teardrop DP mirrors or bar ends as you mention, I think I'll just put pictures of my kids in them instead of mirror glass as you cant see anything behind you anyway,you get used to it though.
Get rid of the cat before any other exhaust mods,looks nicer and actually sounds nicer too.
I've 'cored' my stock exhausts, rebuilding the internals like most aftermarket ones, cheaper,not difficult but a lot of work.I also opened my airbox, a couple here have pod filters,I've seen mixed opinions about those
Spot the oil line on mine ....hypermotard oil delivery line is a straight bolt on,when I get time the starter wire and oil temp wire will be rerouted.
Which bring me to belt covers, these ones are as rare as rocking horse poo though there a chap in the US developing similar ones, throw money at them and you can get some rizoma ones.
Clip ons like I have are an aquired taste, I like them and have also lowered the headlight clocks and nose fairing and funky top yoke.
Bolt on some new brakes, mine are from an SS900.
Powdercoating anything alloy or chrome is always an option, my footpegs are next , to match the headlight assembly.
Crash bungs are common.
I have a DP short tail on mine, neatens up the back end without resorting to power tools, I do like tailchops too though.
Thats a gel seat there, your butt will love you for it.
Theres two types of hugger,I have the smaller DP one which lets crap through the gap in the swingarm, the bigger on is made in Germany,cant recall the make at the moment looks a bit clumsy in pictures but not noticable when fitted.
Smaller indicators, I had some really small ones but took them off and fitted some intermediate sized ones.
Thats a DP diversion front mudguard,you can also get carbon ones in the standard pattern,I've also seen SS and superbike mudguards fitted.
Lot here seem to like those air scoops into the frame,cools down the rear cylinder, bellypans also seem popular.

Once you done a few of those we can suggest some more if you'd like!

Last edited by Dave G; 11-05-2008 at 07:54 PM..
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Gosh
where to start?

1 de-cat pipe
2 termis (or you could get arrow) system with new ecu/power commander and open airbox
3 new Ducati performance mirrors
4 up-graded brakes (brembo gold caliper 4 pot brakes and discs)
5 DP carbon tail piece ( I was too chicken to cut the tail off, and termis are a bit long for a full tailchop without shortening them too)
6 small indicators
7 carbon or painted bits to replace the tacky plastic bits on the chainguards/sprocket cover/side panels
8 aluminium/perspex rizoma belt covers
9 cyclecat rearsets (beautiful)
10 DP comfort seat
11 new front adjustable forks from S4R and wilbers internals
12 new adjustable rear shock by Wilbers
13 hugger
14 pazzo racing shorty brake and clutch levers and new resevoirs and master cylinders.
15 billet aluminium caps for brake and clutch resevoirs
16 oberon tax disc holder
17 oberon fork adjusters
18 Carbon front fairing/flyshield.
19 A new, very big mortgage!

I bought a carbon bellypan but it doesn't fit with my DP de-cat pipe.
I may have the bike re-painted at some point.
That's about it for now - I may take some pictures tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
scrumpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Jings! Where to begin!
First mod I'd suggest is an unseen one but very noticable to you- a 14tooth front sprocket.
I'll go through some of the things I've done to mine, its also worth checking out a few others on here....Markus springs to mind here.
You can get some nice teardrop DP mirrors or bar ends as you mention, I think I'll just put pictures of my kids in them instead of mirror glass as you cant see anything behind you anyway,you get used to it though.
Get rid of the cat before any other exhaust mods,looks nicer and actually sounds nicer too.
I've 'cored' my stock exhausts, rebuilding the internals like most aftermarket ones, cheaper,not difficult but a lot of work.I also opened my airbox, a couple here have pod filters,I've seen mixed opinions about those
Spot the oil line on mine ....hypermotard oil delivery line is a straight bolt on,when I get time the starter wire and oil temp wire will be rerouted.
Which bring me to belt covers, these ones are as rare as rocking horse poo though there a chap in the US developing similar ones, throw money at them and you can get some rizoma ones.
Clip ons like I have are an aquired taste, I like them and have also lowered the headlight clocks and nose fairing and funky top yoke.
Bolt on some new brakes, mine are from an SS900.
Powdercoating anything alloy or chrome is always an option, my footpegs are next , to match the headlight assembly.
Crash bungs are common.
I have a DP short tail on mine, neatens up the back end without resorting to power tools, I do like tailchops too though.
Thats a gel seat there, your butt will love you for it.
Theres two types of hugger,I have the smaller DP one which lets crap through the gap in the swingarm, the bigger on is made in Germany,cant recall the make at the moment looks a bit clumsy in pictures but not noticable when fitted.
Smaller indicators, I had some really small ones but took them off and fitted some intermediate sized ones.
Thats a DP diversion front mudguard,you can also get carbon ones in the standard pattern,I've also seen SS and superbike mudguards fitted.
Lot here seem to like those air scoops into the frame,cools down the rear cylinder, bellypans also seem popular.

Once you done a few of those we can suggest some more if you'd like!

Jeez remind me not to go on a rideout with you and be put to shame!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
scrumpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
Gosh
where to start?

1 de-cat pipe
2 termis (or you could get arrow) system with new ecu/power commander and open airbox
3 new Ducati performance mirrors
4 up-graded brakes (brembo gold caliper 4 pot brakes and discs)
5 DP carbon tail piece ( I was too chicken to cut the tail off, and termis are a bit long for a full tailchop without shortening them too)
6 small indicators
7 carbon or painted bits to replace the tacky plastic bits on the chainguards/sprocket cover/side panels
8 aluminium/perspex rizoma belt covers
9 cyclecat rearsets (beautiful)
10 DP comfort seat
11 new front adjustable forks from S4R and wilbers internals
12 new adjustable rear shock by Wilbers
13 hugger
14 pazzo racing shorty brake and clutch levers and new resevoirs and master cylinders.
15 billet aluminium caps for brake and clutch resevoirs
16 oberon tax disc holder
17 oberon fork adjusters
18 Carbon front fairing/flyshield.
19 A new, very big mortgage!

I bought a carbon bellypan but it doesn't fit with my DP de-cat pipe.
I may have the bike re-painted at some point.
That's about it for now - I may take some pictures tomorrow.
And you Missus!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Half Man Half Mole

I second the suggestion of a D.P. bellypan (and a dremel to make it fit!) as a first step.

Moley
Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
singletrack

Unfortunately even a dremel won't make a DP bellypan fit onto an 07 S2R800with DP de-cat pipe ( I now have one useless, dremelled ballypan which will still not fit on the bike and is no good for any other bike now). I think you you are OK with older bikes (06 or before) or with different de-cat pipes so it will look great on jimmy's bike.
I really wanted a bellypan, but do not think there is any way it will fit.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Gilps

The trick is, if you want decent bling for your bike just wait for Singletrack to change bikes. She does this every six months and then sells off all the bits. A lot of the stuff on mine came from Anne's. She's had this bike now for a couple of months so keep your eyes open in the For Sale section.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps View Post
The trick is, if you want decent bling for your bike just wait for Singletrack to change bikes. She does this every six months and then sells off all the bits. A lot of the stuff on mine came from Anne's. She's had this bike now for a couple of months so keep your eyes open in the For Sale section.
Sorry to disappoint you Gilps but this one is a keeper - even if I never ride it again. I just love looking at it. I may add to the garage, but I won't sell it.

PS - Do you wanna sell a Superlight?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumpster View Post
Jeez remind me not to go on a rideout with you and be put to shame!!!!
Why would you be put to shame by anyone elses bike? Nothing wrong with yours, or for that matter, the stock bike.
I'm not trying to show off here and these mods have taken me three years to this point, a little at a time, some of them are relatively cheap too, the joy of doing them is to make the bike mine from an aesthetic point of view, personally I'm not too interested in performance mods otherwise I'd have bought a different bike.

Its sort of a hobby, ...what can I tinker with next.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
Sorry to disappoint you Gilps but this one is a keeper - even if I never ride it again. I just love looking at it. I may add to the garage, but I won't sell it.

PS - Do you wanna sell a Superlight?

Hehe, nice try. The SL's a definite keeper, as is the Monnie. The S2R was my first ever Ducati so has to stay just for that reason alone. Bozzie's a keeper too. Personally I can't see the point in selling a bike when you may as well just hang on to it.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Lots of the above after selling the 800 and buying the 1000

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
markus

Some ideas from mine.......

Strip everything off! - mirrors, panels, anything plasic or unnecessary (free)
de cat pipe, loud exhausts,
Pod filters,
power commander 3,
Reroute wiring and red clips to clean up frame (free)
Clip ons,
Rizoma top yoke,
Rizoma sproket cover,
Oberon Billet indicators on the front,
Oberon Billet filler cap,
695 Black Belt Covers (£20 - looks cool),
lowered clocks and light (free, just chopped and then powdercoated the bracket),
sprinkling of carbon fibre (seat pod, front guard etc),
Paint (tank) and Satin Black powder coat (inc wheels (gloss black) and all ancillary parts),
Drilled heat and heal guards (free),
Tail chop (this is a must)
Clear alternatives rear light with built in indicators
14 tooth front sprocket (best £20 i spent)
Lots of other bits - about to do suspension and brakes too.

Last edited by markus; 12-05-2008 at 02:28 PM..
Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Oh, I got this bug too.

You're probably better off having a look at the video, not quite the same bike as yours though.

I now have NO money whatsoever, will probably starve to death but who cares? My bikes pretty!

Silver nickel plated virtually every single fastener or part that showed any signs of corrosion, including the front and rear wheel axles and nuts, fuel tank bracket, seat cowl brackets, footrest hangar bolts, side stand and bracket to name but a few. In total well over 200 parts were plated (if you really can be bothered then PM me for a full list) and they have come up a treat!! Next was the full exhaust system and clamps which has been lovingly polished. Top and bottom yoke, swing arm end plates, fork bottoms and footrest hangars, brake pedal, gear change pedal, actuating arm and linkages plus a myriad of other bits have all been powder coated, along with the rear sprocket carrier too. Both front and rear wheels have also received the same treatment, as well as new rear cush drive rubbers and bearings and new polished stainless steel front disc rotor bolts. A considerable number of other fasteners have also been replaced with polished stainless steel items. New front steel and alloy rear sprockets and gold DID chain are also fitted, plus lashings of numerous billet alloy parts too numerous to mention. A host of carbon fibre parts like side panels, bellypan and headlight bowl. Um, Rizoma handlebars and grips, DPM mirrors, tail chop, Rizoma aluminium and perspex belt covers, billet reservoir caps, little funky LED indicators etc etc etc etc and etc

And an entirely unique holographic paint job.

The video has a link underneath my signature below.....

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Must say I do like those K&N filters.
Do you get much induction noise from them?
Also, the smaller one is it a breather?

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote