UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Finally, the wait is over..

Old 17-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
mogmachine

Red face Finally, the wait is over..

In august i got back from holiday where i had been flying around on a 50cc twist and go and promptly went and grabbed one as quickly as my cash could fly out of my pocket, ...having been used to skateboards, moutainbikes and kiteboards as my major form of transportation there was a smile on my face. ....for about five minutes.

It was inevitable, ..just as when i bought my first 3m kite i was always going to end up flying a 10.5m, ....how long was i going to last on a bike that didn't go downhill as fast as my skateboard (proven, . .almost at the cost of my pants).

So to cut a very long story short, ...today i walked my dog down to the vet, left her there to have a little something cut off her ear, and ambled over to Rex Judd in west hampstead to finally go and pick up my new 695.

To say i spent the next hour or so smiling would be an assumption, ..i didn't really look at my face that much, ...but i am smiling now that's for sure, ...even though it rained all day and i only got just over an hour on the bike before something inside told me "you only passed your test on wednesday, today is friday, ..go home and read the instruction manual".

...so am i one of you now, ..i think that would be a little presumptious, .but i guess i might be well on the way.
So is this the single longest winded hello ever, ..it just might be, ...

...quick, ..bail myself out, ..ask for advice, ..that's an idea, ...

...being a fairly pint sized 5"8 65kgs and having only really ridden the GS500 i learn't and did my test on, i did find myself a little unsure moving the bike at around at no speed, ...like walking it backwards to park, ....and making those slow sharp turns at -5mph .....any advice, ..pointers, ...or should i just do as i think best, ..which is shut up, ..keep practicing, ..and remind myself that i am in fact a good rider, ....just one who now has to pay for the damage if he drops the bike. ,...that and i would of course cry.

Hello.

-mog

Last edited by mogmachine; 17-11-2006 at 07:38 PM..
Old 17-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Gadget
wtf...

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Smile Brief and to the point.

Hi.
Welcome.

Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Welcome, remember the Monster has the turning circle of the Ark Royal!

Take it easy keep it sticky side down!

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
scrumpster

Congrats and they make a lovely first bike, and a new one too, you lucky
Old 17-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
GULLY

Hello

Hello and welcome to the club
you chose the wright bike monster are best

gully
Old 17-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Hi Mog,

Hope to see you down in Kent (Oakdene meet) when the weather improves

Congrats on the new 695 and take it nice and easy - it'll all slot into place with more practice
Old 17-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
Gilps

Hello and welcome. Not sure if the 695 has a ride height adjuster but if it does then get the dealer to make sure it is set low. It will make it turn in a little slower (you won't feel it really) but will make the bike a little lower. I'm only 5'6" with short legs and I manage OK. Get off the bike to back it out of the garage/parking spaces etc, then get on when it's pointing the right way. Works for me.
Enjoy it.
Old 18-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
CrashMonkey

Hello and welcome As said above, keep practicing and your control of the bike (At whatever speed) will keep improving
Old 18-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
mogmachine

Thanks guys, ...today was sunny and dry and everything was perfect, ...it's amazing the difference between the first and second days of a new bike.

I think i will go quiet now for a while whilst i learn and improve, ..and then no doubt i will be back, ...especially for exhaust and headlight modding time after my first service.

Thanks for your welcomes.
Old 19-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
Mand

Welcome!

PS - Nice kite.
Old 19-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
Tigerlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogmachine View Post
..and then no doubt i will be back, ...especially for exhaust and headlight modding time after my first service.

Welcome to the club Mog!..... Don't forget the all important tail chop too!

*cue argument about tail chop pro's and cons!*
Old 19-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
mogmachine

...the kite, ..that was my old frenzy, ..now i have a new frenzy, ..definite pattern emerging here, ...but if you kiteboard or snowkite then let me know as that is one of my other passions.

As for the chop, ....i am not taking an angler grinder to my baby just yet, ....not this week anyway.
Old 25-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
gremlin

Welcome to the club, I'm only 5"1 and haven't got my bike yet, but my 125 was quite tall. I've found surveying the area useful, trying not to end up on slopes or near potholes cos once you overbalance you're buggered so to speak. Or get off and lug it round. I was told to feather the back brake on slow turns to stop the front forks diving and getting you off, I dropped my bike once or twice until I got the hang of using the back brake instead of front. It was mortifying dropping mine outside the local bikers pub, not that they ribbed me too much. Have fun, don't try to do too much too soon. Other half made me do a two year apprenticeship on a 125 cos I'm bit of a loon in a car, now I'm one on a bike too.
Old 25-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
queen_gpants

Hello and welcome from another pint sized biker!

I'm 5'2" and the 900 is quite a tall bike for me but having ridden some pretty hefty bikes over the years, GSXR600 srad and Ducati 888 I have learnt not to paddle bikes backwards (dropping it hurts the pride and the bike!) get off and push it back, one hand on the bar and one on the seat, lean it into you a little to stop it toppling over - this happened to me once with the gixxer and I had to run to the local indian take away to get help to pick it up again, very embarassing !! lol

You'll get used to turning it and do remember it has the turning circle of a tank!

Like others have said you should be able to adjust the seat height but you get used to it and if all else fails buy some platform boots, they work wonders!
Old 25-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #15
gremlin

Wink

I was hoping to do my test on mine, but hearing about the turning circle I think I'll chicken out and borrow the schools Kwacker ER5 it's lower than a snakes belly and even I can get both feet flat. Platforms are a no no can't get toes under to change gear It's no biggy to get off and park it or move it, admittedly it's easier if you're a girly cos you can just do a Penelope Pitstop and the guys can't wait to help.