UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » I'm definitely not buying a monster..

Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #31
GWLS

As part of my ongoing plan to not buy a motorcycle, i've decided to install a "yanchor" in the front drive, just in case someone else ever wants to park a motorcycle on my driveway....

I'm sure it will increase the value of my house and could almost be considered environmentally essential

I'm not sure she'll allow me to put up the "ducati parking only" sign, also it might give the game away

Last edited by GWLS; 12-07-2015 at 07:15 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #32
jsnape

Welcome! Lovely bike!

I also bought mine under the assumption that forgiveness was easier than permission. The missus was angry for about 2 days but she was away with work and so she couldn't kill me.

Enjoy the bike and the forum!
Old 12-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #33
hatchback

Mon-steer in the city

Having added an M600 to my stable, (i.e. slightly older high mileage and much abused ZZR600), I have to wonder how you manage to ride one in a city with such narrow roads? The turning circle is monstrous, more akin to a barge than a bike. I was caught out whilst trying to repeat a fairly standard u-turn outside my house which the Kwak manages without a murmur; I ended up in a bush that knocked off the front indicator. Due to some fettling issues I was struggling to keep the engine running but I guess it goes down as, operator error!!
I deliberately went for the smallest engine because I can go plenty fast enough on big roads on the ZZR, with luggage and everything. The M600 is just for the twisties (and the awesome noise that definitely compares well with my Norton Commando's reverse cone megas).
Old 12-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #34
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post
Having added an M600 to my stable I have to wonder how you manage to ride one in a city with such narrow roads?
I'm sure the city folk will agree that you soon get used to leaning the things at relatively slow speed rather than relying on the steering lock.

Find a quiet car park and have a go at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_spT4_nqpY
Old 12-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #35
BigOz

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi,

My 696 was my first bike bought straight after passing my test and is a great first bike so don't have any concerns on that front. I was very green with almost no experience on the road as I still only have a bike license but the Monster looked after me well as it is a very capable bike.

I bought it new and as it is my first bike I have quite an attachment to it so where I probably should, if I was sensible, have sold it on and moved up the range I chose to keep it and start upgrading. I've changed a lot of it now but I'm still happy with it and the only reason I've looked at other bikes would be to add to the 696 for use on track days or just because I lust after them.

I hope getting the DAS complete goes well and you enjoy the 696 as much as I do.

Andy
Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #36
GWLS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOz View Post
Hi,

My 696 was my first bike bought straight after passing my test and is a great first bike so don't have any concerns on that front. I was very green with almost no experience on the road as I still only have a bike license but the Monster looked after me well as it is a very capable bike.

I bought it new and as it is my first bike I have quite an attachment to it so where I probably should, if I was sensible, have sold it on and moved up the range I chose to keep it and start upgrading. I've changed a lot of it now but I'm still happy with it and the only reason I've looked at other bikes would be to add to the 696 for use on track days or just because I lust after them.

I hope getting the DAS complete goes well and you enjoy the 696 as much as I do.

Andy
Cheers Andy!! I also hear you're the person to speak with if one were to buy a 696 and then start fettling!
Old 29-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #37
GWLS

Post Update

Well after FAILING my mod 2 for driving TOO SLOW (20 in a residential estate where it turns out that despite a school and limited space it was in fact a 30) my bad.... i went to visit Ghita at Rosso Corse today, as you can see she's... well she's in bits really!

BUT

Oh how clean, Ray and Marcus both commented on the fact that they have NEVER seen a better second hand bike purchase, not least one bought blind off fleabay!

I'm very pleased she's a good un BUT I have stopped paying for lessons and now i'm getting a bit antsy

So i might have a plan to get me on the road in the interim, i'm going to sleep on it... what time is the meet on Saturday if I can get a pass without death
Old 29-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #38
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWLS View Post
what time is the meet on Saturday if I can get a pass without death
Midday at the Reilly Rocket

Thread HERE

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #39
Georgeprice18

I have just got the 696'as my first bike and it's just quality. No doubt you will love it. They are great! So much character and when you open the garage door, make you smile for sure. Stunning bike all around - mines bright red though!
Old 29-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #40
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWLS View Post
........ FAILING my mod 2 for driving TOO SLOW (20 in a residential estate where it turns out that despite a school and limited space it was in fact a 30) my bad....:
Actually, not "your bad" in my book, but theirs.
30mph is the MAXIMUM speed limit.
Travelling at 2/3 of the absolute maximum allowable speed seems reasonable enough to me.
And now, to make matters worse, there is consideration of applying "zero tolerance" to speeding drivers.
"Thou shalt drive at precisely the required speed at all times".
Of course 20 probably is a bit slow but then so is 30, most of the time.
Its about matching speed to the prevailing conditions at the time, which in this case were ...you were trying to be particularly well behaved as you were on your test.
Hardly worthy of a fail, in my opinion.

Like the name.
Any connection with the Sanskrit "Song of the Lord" ...or just a happy coincidence ?
Two syllables too ...one for each thump.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #41
GWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Actually, not "your bad" in my book, but theirs.

Hardly worthy of a fail, in my opinion.

Like the name.
Any connection with the Sanskrit "Song of the Lord" ...or just a happy coincidence ?
Two syllables too ...one for each thump.
Utopia,

Thanks mate! It's been a little hard taking it on the chin, I had otherwise only 2 minor faults, but I though the Serious fault for "inappropriate speed" only to discover was for going to slow was a little harsh

Happy coincidence, but the logic was that Ghita in Italian means pearl, and she's pearl white
Old 30-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #42
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
close...

Pearl is 'perla' in Italian but 'Ghita is short for Marguerita, which is pearl in Greek

Hope to see you Saturday
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #43
GWLS

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Pearl is 'perla' in Italian but Ghita is short for Marguerita, which is pearl in Greek
Damnit!

Can't trust the internet these days! oh well my greek named italian princess owned by an irish south african, total mish mash!