UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Bad news and Good News

Old 27-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #46
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Of course. Trite comments are the only thing left when your original contention has been shown to be fallible. Enjoy the rest of your day
More irony!

Bob out.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #47
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
If anyone has any questions about Ducati’s choice to pursue this technical direction let me know. i’ve been invited to an online meeting on the subject, so can forward on any questions you have.
I logged on to the meeting yesterday, basically we got the information from the link in the OP presented by Nicolo Antonelli (Marketing Dept, not #23) and Stefano Tarabusi (Product Manager) with the opportunity to ask questions.

They stressed that the design process was entirely engineering led, remember Domenicali is an engineer by trade.

The V4 was chosen for its adaptabilty. Note 'Multistrada' means Many roads. When riding off road at very low speeds you want a smooth motor at low revs, in a way that V twins aren't, The configuration of the V4 gives this, along with punchy V2 like mid-range and sportsbike type performance at higher revs.

The spring rather than Desmo choice was prompted by trying to extend service intervals, since this is what they think high mileage adventure riders want from the product. 60K Km is at least double what the competition offers at the moment, When challenged 'why not get a Aprilia then?' they pointed out that the service interval there is 20K Km. I've ridden a V4S Pani' on track and an Aprilia RSV4 Factory, as well as most of the Jap litre offerings, on the road, and frankly there's no comparison. Although The V4S is Desmo and revs to ~15K, the larger capacity Granturismo revs to 10.5K and makes about 40BHP less.
They will still be offering the V2 Multistrada, alongside the V4 if that's what you want.

They also stress that Desmo rather than springs will still be used in sports/race bikes going forward as it's still the right solution for ultimate performance.

They suggested, when asked, that there was no particular emissions advantage with traditional valve train per se. The rear cylinder ‘cut’ when stationary is purely to avoid cooking your backside, any reduced emissions are incidental.

They also talked about the sound of the bike. The offset crank gives it a twin-like rumble but they've made it quiet enough that you won't have a headaches all evening after repeated 800Km days.
Also they did static noise tests that come in at under 95dB, which is the strictest Italian limit (Sudtyrol region).

We talked a little about the Radar (the units themselves look the same as Audi's A3)
Which are forward facing: for adaptive cruise control, with software suitably modified to ensure the rider still gets full control and won't get tied in knots of someone swerves in front of you while the bike's leaned over. Rear facing: which will light a warning in your mirrors if someone gets in your blind spot.

Whether the Granturismo motor would find its way into other models and the trellis frame question were beyond the scope of the talk, although clearly the possibility of using the motor elsewhere is there, after all they've invested around 3 years in developing it.

The official bike launch for the V4 Multistrada will be on 4th November.

Last edited by slob; 31-10-2020 at 05:43 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #48
Luddite

Interesting. Thanks for that, Rob.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #49
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It makes sense to continue to use Desmos in the sport bikes but why not use conventional springs in the touring or more road oriented bikes if it means longer service intervals and cheaper running costs?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #50
slob

I’ve been invited to another of these online presentations, next week, this time about the new Monster frame, so of anyone has any questions they’d like to ask, let me know.
Old 20-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #51
stopintime

Bike: S2r
What are these presentations? Brain wash the avant gardists to be positive about a lost cause? Are you allowed to be negative, old and grumpy? (assuming that's what the subject deserves...)

BTW: How is your health these days? I hope you're still healing.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #52
slob

The last one was essentially the same as the press release, but with one of the design team and someone from marketing to answer any questions. They’re directed at European club presidents, hence me asking if anyone wants to ask anything specific in advance.

My back and ribs are mostly ok now, still having some problems with knee and ankle, somone else may be asking the questions next year, at this rate.

ps I haven’t been in contact with Vibeche for some time, are you still in the same DOC?
Old 20-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #53
Luddite

Hi, Rob

Perhaps you could ask what first prompted the design team to abandon the trellis frame.

How much does the new frame weigh compared to the trellis and how many manufacturing processes are involved in its construction compared with the trellis it's replacing?

Hope your recovery continues, Rob.

Thank
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 04:26 AM   #54
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
What are these presentations? Brain wash the avant gardists to be positive about a lost cause? Are you allowed to be negative, old and grumpy? (assuming that's what the subject deserves...)

BTW: How is your health these days? I hope you're still healing.
I think that describes the demographic of the majority on here; we're old so we're allowed to be grumpy!

Glad to hear you're on the mend too Rob.

If the monocoque frame is anything like the Panigale then its a good job the service is 40K. You have to split the bike apart (front wheel and frame/engine and rear wheel) to do any engine services on those.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #55
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
I hope your knee & ankle problems are resolved soon. This has been a long recovery and I'm sure you are fed up with it by now!
Old 27-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #56
slob

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58869