UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Engine oil investigation.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Omar

Bike: M1100evo
Engine oil investigation.

Doing a bit of research as to which oil to use in my new (ish) to me 1100 evo, when I came across this comment on an American forum. I had no idea Ducati engines would run this long reliably.

"My bike (1993 Ducati Monster M900) was recommended for 20W/50. I use that weight in the normal riding season. When it starts getting cold in the autumn (morning temps regularly below 40F (5C)) I switch to 10W/40, and keep that through late autumn/early winter, winter storage, and when I get it back out in early spring. When morning spring temps rise back to being regularly above 40F (5C), I change back to the normal 20W/50, and use that until the next autumn switch. If it's a higher-than-average miles year, I may do an additional oil change in the summer.
This program has gotten my M900 to 260K miles so far, without the engine being opened up any more than for new piston rings (once, at 122K, now due for another)."

I gather Shell Advanced Ultra 4T 15w50 Fully Synthetic or Motul 7100 fully synthetic 10w/40 are the favourite choices on our forum. I will probably go for the Motul as I understand the Shell is not technically a true fully synthetic? (and at that price it should be).
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote