UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Standard ecu?

Old 24-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Dingdong Dom

Bike: M1100evo
Standard ecu?

Hi, My monster 1100 evo has the termi pipes, dp ecu and air filter fitted, when riding up to and around 4k rpm the bike feels like its misfiring, I am fully aware that these bikes are never what you'd call smooth but this is leading me to want to sell the bike, my question is, if I fit the standard ECU back on the bike will this improve? also if I fit the standard ecu back on do I need to disconnect the battery or is it okay to change with the ignition off. I don't really want to go down the reflash route as I'm sure these bikes were never this bad when new.
Dingdong Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
rollo22

You could try a TPS reset first
Start bike without touching the throttle wait untill you have 3 bars on the oil temp stop and restart and this resets the TPS.

The DP ECU for the termis runs lean when i had mine remapped.
Now runs like a dream
Old 24-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
They tend to run them intentionally lean around 3k rpm in order for the emissions. The standard ECU may be even leaner and will most likely require the Lambda sensors connected and servo valve (assuming you don't have them connected currently as I don't think the DP chip needs them?).

If your issue is not caused by some other problem a remap may be the best option.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingdong Dom View Post
I don't really want to go down the reflash route as I'm sure these bikes were never this bad when new.
Don't be too sure! The low speed running is pretty bad, even from the factory.

Do you have the carbon Termis or the stainless ones (they come with different ECUs)? The 'carbon' ECU will disable both the exhaust flap-valve and the lambdas while the 'stainless' ECU just turns off the butterfly valve. Consequently, the carbon cans will probably run smoother than the stainless ones. Having said that, both Termi ECUs still run lean and I'd definitely recommend a Rexxer remap from Neil at Cornerspeed if you want to see real improvements.

As rollo said, whenever you remove the ECU, you need to perform the 'warm' TPS reset. You will also need to give the bike 4-500 miles for the auto-adaptive parameters to re-trim themselves.

If you're running the stainless system and don't want a remap, consider lambda eliminators like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxygen-la...6/254516374946

More suggestions on achieving smooth-running here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54450

There's no indication in either the Termi installation instructions or the workshop manual that you need to disconnect the battery in order to remove the ECU but I always do just to be on the safe side.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
Dingdong Dom

Thanks for the info, I’m running the carbon termi’s, I’ll try the TPS reset and see how it goes. Hopefully things improve.
Old 24-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I would check and clean/gap all your plugs. These bikes don't really like to pootle around and the ignitions aren't great, so it could just be a build up of cr@p fouling the plugs for example if you do a lot of city riding. I've never ridden one of these before but I know they will be rough low down as my S4 was the same and from the amount of posts we get about bikes of that generation having low running issues (1100 and Evo especially). But 4K does seem a luttle high to be the lean <3K issue but you never know.

I would see what Luddite recommends as he has first hand experience of these bikes.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
Uncle Bob

I have an Evo with DP ECU, filter and carbon Termis. My experience started out the same as yours.

Rather than get shot of the bike I took the advice of a number of people on this site and had the ECU reflashed by Neil at Cornerspeed for £250. I also removed the lambda sensors and replaced them with blanking plugs (as they are no longer required after the reflash), then after refitting the ECU I did the TPS reset. Blanking plugs for the exhaust and also the electrical connections were sourced from eBay, with links provided by Luddite IIRC.

I also removed the exhaust valve motor from under the seat, since that's no longer required either. I've left the actual valve in place though as its static posotion is 'open'. Makes a nice space for a disc lock under the seat.

I haven't changed the sprocket, because after a few hundred miles (hard to say exactly how many) of the ECU\TPS relearning what it needed to, during which it didn't feel much different than before the reflash, the bike just suddenly became rather excellent and I could finally see why so many people recommended taking these steps!

Now the bike is smooth at low speed and 30mph zones are no issue, whether on my own or two up. I would definitely recommend it. For under £300 the bike is transformed.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #8
Dingdong Dom

Again, some more good advice which is much appreciated. I have done the TPS reset and put about 60 miles on the bike, if it ever stops raining I'll get some more miles done and see where I'm at.
Old 20-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
Dingdong Dom

Smile

thanks for all advice, TPS reset has made a huge difference and on a side note the Italian tune up on the front discs has worked a treat.