UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » hello to eveyone

Old 25-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
steve.degg

Bike: M600
hello to eveyone

Ive wanted a monster for a long time so i decided to knock on the door of a fella who i suspected had one stored away in his garage.the long and short of it all i persuaded him to sell it to me.it was last on the road in 2001,it last started 6 years ago so I've got my work cut out,oh and did i mention he took it to pieces including the wiring harness before he put it away.
I've bought myself a service kit including belts,today i cleaned the carbs so just need to get a battery then will see if it will start before i go for a full strip down to get it road ready.
its a 1995 m600 with 2900 miles on the clock i,m the second owner,
there,s a few wires and pipes that i,m not sure about yet so i was hoping for a bit of advise from you guys and all being well there should be another monster on the road by christmas
steve.degg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
garry

good man, looks great.
Old 25-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Pesky cheeky gits knockin' on the door pestering for motorbikes....

Well done mate..And good luck with the fettling.

I have heard that the 600s take a while to fill the carbs. So you might want to try and prime them with petrol somehow on the first start up.
Also beware of muck and water in the fuel system after the long stand up...Best have a new fuel filter ready.
Old 26-08-2015, 01:25 AM   #4
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Hi and welcome

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 03:38 AM   #5
cactus

Bike: M900ie
Hi and welcome, looks like you've got yourself a good buy there.
Old 26-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the club and you've got your work cut out but it clearly looked a good bike before he put it away.
Should be great when you've finished.
Lots and advice & help on the forum if you need it.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
steve.degg

Bike: M600
thanks for the warm welcome,will keep you posted on my progress I'm sure i will have lots of questions for you guys i.e. whats this bit do and where does it go but so far i,m enjoying this big kids jigsaw puzzle
steve.degg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
Dennis menace

Bike: Other Ducati
In my experience carbs and electrics are the main sources of problems on the M600. Take a good look at the carbs and make sure all adjusting screws still turn but make a note of the positions first. If you are doing a strip down the bike work on the carbs off the bike as you will inevitably strip a screw head unless you have perfect access. Also check and oil the throttle and choke cables as they are notorious for seizing up because they are exposed to dirt and rain. As Mr Gazza says the carbs may not fill with fuel if the bike has been standing because the mechanical fuel pump requires the vacuum from a running engine to prime and pump. I think it is Dookbob who fitted a hand primer. I was going to fit an electrical pump (about £50) but never got around to it. I fitted an AMG battery 'cos acid spills wreck the paintwork. If you have a spark but no fuel try using a makeshift fuel tank hung off the handle bars to fill the carbs by gravity. Be Careful! I used the tank off my lawnmower. Good luck. Great bikes.
Dennis menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
Dennis menace

Bike: Other Ducati
Whilst you are at it make sure the fuel tank breather pipe and overspill pipe are clear by blowing them through. They are also prone to blocking. Both can be accessed from beneath the tank and should be marked with a label near the fuel filter. It is worth changing the fuel filter (less than a tenner) while you are down there. Take the fuel pipe off the fuel tap on opposite side to the tank and open it briefly to make sure fuel can pass through the tap. Have a jar ready to catch the fuel! Lastly, make sure the vacuum take off pipe from the air intake to the fuel pump is in good condition and not perished or leaking as this supplies the vacuum to make the pump work.
Dennis menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hello and welcome.
Well knocked and persuaded ....if you don't ask, you don't get.
I bought my last house the same way.

At that age you might want to change the tyres as the rubber will probably have hardened.
If cost is a factor, "Paynep" on the forum will probably sell you a pair of ex Desmodue "scrubbed" race tyres for £70 or so. (but shhhh... don't tell anyone as I want another set myself soonish).
Or new, Michelin PR4s are rated.

And be wary of the tank prop....
Its use can strain the tank hinge and cause leaks if the tank is heavy with fuel.
Also, the rubber end perishes and can fail in use....your old one may be thus affected.
Save it for roadside emergencies and use a wooden prop between the tank and the airbox instead ...an 18 inch length of 3x1 is my personal choice.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote