UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » My First post with added questions.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Mattuk07

My First post with added questions.

Hello,

Yes... I WANT A MONSTER! Basically my reason for signing up here. I do have a couple of questions though that hopefully someone can answer.

I am looking for a Monster 600/620 as I am on 33bhp restriction. I was wondering how easy it is to restrict? There is a garage near to me who say they will restrict pretty much any bike for £100, but I have heard Ducati do a 33bhp throttle kit for much cheaper. Any truth to this?

I could do with a little advice on the best sort of Monster aswell . I have been told that I should get an FI Monster as the carb ones are unreliable. Any truth to this aswell?

Anyway, aside from the questions..... Id just like to say Hi..

Thanks
Old 06-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
gremlin

Welcome to the gang. Monnies are quite easy to restrict apparantly, I'm having mine done soon, I'm not sure but I think they do something with the inlet manifold, or put a fixing on the throttle so it doesn't open up all the way. The chaps I'm going to charge £80, thats for dyno runs and restriction kit. No doubt those more knowledgeable will tell you! You'll still get away from lights pretty well but will run out of puff at top end which when riding a bigger bike as a novice isn't a bad thing.
A 600 is a good starting point, they are relatively easy to work on if you want to keep costs down and if you get an older one you won't cry so much when you chuck it down the road. That's my other halfs theory anyway. The good thing too is you can get used to the bike and the handling and then upgrade to something with a bit more without it being too much of a shock to the system. I'm sure the rest of the guys will be welcoming you too and will answer all your questions.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
The carbed 600 is a good bike, but you could pick up an injected 620 for not a lot more money. Running costs would be about the same, but the 620 is a better package IMO - later spec electrics, suspension & brakes, plus an extra 10bhp. The restrictor kit (throttle) is easy & cheap to sort on either bike, and just as easy to convert to full power when needed.

Make sure you pick a bike thats been well maintained, and has a recent service history with paperwork to back this up. Then get a test ride if you can, and check out insurance quotes to avoid nasty surprises.

Happy shopping
Old 06-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
YoungDucS4R

Whatever the bike, if your having it restricted, its the Certificate your paying for and not the contents of the kit.
For some bikes it only consists of a couple of rubber washers!!
For your insurance to be valid, and/or in the case of an accident its the bit of paper you'll be required to produce, so beware of taking the cheapest option.

G.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
gremlin

I got raised eyebrows when I said I was going to get mine done, the guys were happy to do the dyno runs do the certificate and leave her full power but I'm one of those people who is going to get caught if I do it so I'm being good. Anyway it's a big jump from my 125 to the monnie so it will give me time to get used toher.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The standard 51ish brake isn't exactly high Gremlin, and it is a definitely much more user friendly kind of power output than a similar powered jap bike. The main difference you really notice isn't down to the BHP of the engine but the relatively flat torque the engine turns out. Best idea is to think harley/tractor engine (LOL they are rather similar tho' aren't they!) rather than race bike.

Get used to it quickly then carefully store the the restrictive bits in a disposal bin where they really belong.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Mattuk07

Thanks for the help guys.

If it was up to me I wouldnt restrict it. I rode around on a ZXR400 unrestricted, but have been on an SV650 33bhp recently as a hire bike. I thought the cert. of restriction wasnt required. By law all you need is the bike to make 33bhp and if whoever wants to test it they can. Cops like to say you need the cert. but most of them dont know much about 33bhp or bikes. Having the certificate just makes life easier. Insurance shouldnt be a problem and seems quite reasonable.

Going to start looking around the For Sale section on here .

Once again, thanks for the speedy replies.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Paivi

Welcome Matt! See, told ya so!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
YoungDucS4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattuk07 View Post
Having the certificate just makes life easier. Insurance shouldnt be a problem and seems quite reasonable.
Im not sure of your circumstances, but if you are required to run a 33hp bike then your insurance will be invalid if you dont have it restricted and the proof that its restricted (certificate)!!
Not good, especially if you've wiped out another bike, car, person, bus queue, shop window..........................

G.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
Scotty

FeaR the LAwr
Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #11
Mattuk07

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDucS4R View Post
Im not sure of your circumstances, but if you are required to run a 33hp bike then your insurance will be invalid if you dont have it restricted and the proof that its restricted (certificate)!!
Not good, especially if you've wiped out another bike, car, person, bus queue, shop window..........................

G.
A certificate isnt required by law so unless the insurance company asks for proof prior to getting insured then its all legal. On my licence all it says is that I have a power restriction so I can only ride a bike that makes that power. It would be like asking someone with a licence for a mini bus to show a certificate that is in fact a mini bus.

Bah, anyway... restriction is boring, looking for a Monster to buy on the other hand isnt . Off to the For Sale section!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #12
gremlin

My insurance company hasn't asked for my certificate but no doubt if I got wiped out it would be an issue. But I'm being a good girl for a change and will have one soon. Insurance was cheap too £117 fully comp with legal cover etc, but it helps being an old bird!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #13
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome Matt,
The IE is a better bike all round than its carbie cousin but harder to service yourself because of the fuel injection computer, if you're going to get someone else to do your servicing then no problem.
If you buy an IE, make sure you get a red key with it, black keys are for everyday use but you need the red key to program new black ones to work with the immobiliser.
Whatever you buy make sure it's been serviced regularly and if you're not sure the timing belts have been changed in the last 2years/12KMiles, ask for money off and get them done right away.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote