UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Ducati Monster 900 rebuild

Old 17-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The bike is looking great actually btw, probably just how I would want mine to look.

I think the standard footpegs are rubbish too (foot position and levers) and like most would probably go for aftermarket rearsets as I did, but then I don't think we ever expected anything less than a bespoke solution for your build?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
buzzer

Bike: M900
I don't think a couple of thou makes any difference in centralising the crank...

On another note I went into the garage the other day and there was a strong smell of petrol... I sniffed around both bikes and it was stronger near the monster... on close inspection it was the fuel line from the tank to the tap, which I had replaced with some tube off Ebay. It had gone soft an porous. Looking back through my purchases and saw I have bought from two different suppliers... One looks to be OK, and the other is DEFINITLY not petrol proof, even though it said it was... I have just replaced it.

this is what I hate about Ebay... two more examples, I bought 10 Sanvick hacksaw blades... they were rubbish, and clearly fake.

what has really annoyed me though is I ordered some 3M wrap for the faded "C" pillars on our Mercedes SLK... I paid well over the odds for what I thought was genuine 3M only to find it has warped and bubbled after a few months. I took a spare piece into a place that does car wrapping and he took one look and said "fake" and showed me some genuine stuff, which was substantially different. you never know with stuff off there!
buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #3
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post
I don't think a couple of thou makes any difference in centralising the crank...
Guessed you would be talking about very small differences.
Yep, you just never know with ebay
Old 29-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #4
buzzer

the bike is going well! although i did run out of petrol the other day... looks like the reserve light does not work!

I made a couple if risers yesterday as I wanted the handlebars a bit higher...I could probably bought them for a few pounds but where is the fun in that �� made on my old milling machine which dates from the early 30's... no CNC here although i have now gone digital ��

Old 05-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
buzzer

My new project has arrived! It’s a 1999 M900. It has 9,000 miles on it. It was delivered by a courier from the North who I will definitely use again, he was brilliant! https://srcoupland.com/

I bought the bike sight unseen, save for a few pictures. It’s a none runner at the moment so who knows, but I bought it on that basis. I will attempt to start it over the next few days. When it arrived it was exactly as described, and I was very happy, especially after I sprayed the whole bike with gunk a couple of times and let it soak in for a few hours. Then a good jet wash and it has come up pretty well! It spins over OK, and I have checked the compression and that is all good.

Not sure what I will do with this one yet… it’s almost too good as it is for a full restoration, so I will get it running and then make a decision from there. It also has an interesting registration number that will appeal I guess to someone with say a new Ducati V4 as that is still an L 90 degree configuration!

Once I decide what I am doing, I will probably start a new thread…

Last edited by buzzer; 05-05-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That doesn't look too bad at all! and pretty in Blue.
It has adjustable forks and Goldline brakes. Well definitely Goldline levers, but I can't quite make out the caliper detail. Also seems to have the twin clock nacelle. I had a '98 which only had a speedo and the earlier brakes.

Interesting spec evolution. I wonder if you have V2 heads? As you probably gathered I'm always looking to see if it's an elusive "S" model. You have rubber covered footrests, so maybe?
Floating cast iron discs would confirm it, but they do look a bit too silver?
Old 05-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
On the face of it that looks half decent Tony,will be looking forward to another build thread to join the other brilliant ones on here at the moment

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
buzzer

They are W1 and W2 heads.... Disks are not rusty, but are magnetic... but i doubt they are cast iron.

how do I tell if they are goldline callipers?

Last edited by buzzer; 05-05-2021 at 10:07 AM..
Old 05-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

They would be brown! Come to think of it the carrier pattern would be different too.

Not an "S" then, but still very nice and adjustable forks are a bonus..

You snuck in with an edit while I was posting!!.. Goldline calipers have two lines cast in either side of the Brembo logo, I'll post a picture later when I come in for lunch.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 05-05-2021 at 10:12 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #10
slob

they're the regular old -style stainless ones, Ducati's (floating) cast iron discs have alternate triangular and circular holes in the carriers.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
they're the regular old -style stainless ones, Ducati's (floating) cast iron discs have alternate triangular and circular holes in the carriers.
Correct of course and the carriers I think would be billet alloy whereas the standard ones are steel.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I've realised that the calipers are not the "Goldline" ones as they have 40mm centre mounting bolts to suit the earlier forks.

1999 is an interesting pre-facelift year. as noted, it has the new remote reservoir clutch and brake masters and a twin clock dash.
In 2000 the M900(ie) got electronic injection, "superbike" forks with a different mudguard to suit the strap round mounts and the Goldline calipers with 65mm mounting centres. The tank and seat got a bigger radius in the kneepad area, the seat catch changed to a spike instead of a loop and the filler cap grew in diameter to get the fuel pump in and out.
The indicators changed to elliptical ones and the tea tray became more curvaceous. (Yours has been chopped off anyway!)
It also got new lightweight Brembo wheels with the thin end of the spokes at the rim end.
In 2001 it got a new frame without a hoop link on the rear and a more complicated ECU.

Yours looks cock on for a 1999 though apart from the tail dock when it was a kitten! Truly the last of the carburated M900's.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

750 heads though I'd be thinking St2 944 conversion since it is already chopped its never going to be an original '99 spec bike.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #14
slob

The only difference in the calipers is the mountings, both types have 30/34mm pistons, so should have the same performance
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
buzzer

Well there were a few electrical faults... one was a very poor earth, and someone had transposed the wires on the coils! Also, the HT leads were not very firm in the plug caps, relying on the rubber boot to hold it in. there was evidence of arcing...

It runs and sounds OK! the clutch is noisy, and the stack height is low, so I have ordered some plates, and some cam belts as although these look brand new its stood for a long time.

I have cleaned the carbs, but they were already VERY clean like someone had already been in there. One of the mixture screws was solid, and badly mashed up, but I managed to get it out ok and will order a couple.

New battery on order as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCEjPF5Ufdk