UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Monster or not??

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Monster or not??

Hi everybody,

I'm after some advice please, to help me decide about Monsters as a possible purchase (this may be akin to asking Sweeney Todd his view on pies!)

I've never owned a "modern" bike, and currently ride a 612cc R.E. Bullet cafe-racer (110mph, torquey mid-range, drum brakes, slow-steering but very predictable handling) and a 1986 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario (120+mph, 4-valve heads so very torquey, shaft drive, linked disc brakes which I like, stupid 16" wheels that make it rather twitchy over bumps). Both of these bikes have smallish handlebar fairings and get ridden "enthusiastically" all year round.

I want a smallish, lightish bike that will have significantly better suspension & handling than either of the above, radial tyres (wow!), and a bit more performance combined with decent reliability. I don't want a faired sportsbike, and have come to consider a Monster 750 or 900. however, I've noticed that most advertised Monsters and other Ducatis seem to have done only about 2,000 miles a year: are they unreliable if used more than that? are they basically just for poseurs in summer weather? All constructive advice will be very welcome - many thanks!
Martin C is offline   Reply With Quote