UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello from Nottingham!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Nottsbiker

Thumbs up Hello from Nottingham!

Hi All,

Just a few words to introduce myself and explain why I've signed up to this forum.

Previously I have owned a 996, been to the factory for a tour round and now have an early Aprilia Tuono.

Earlier this week I contacted a mate for a front tyre for the Tuono and was asked if I fancied a project...........anyways I'm off to have a look over the 'bike' this weekend!

Cutting a long story short, he's got a 900 Monster in bits that he wants £600 for and will let me pay him in small installments Hardest part will be explaining the purchase to the boss as we are about to spend big money on a new (very necesary) kitchen...

After I've paid him off I'm looking at starting on the Monster over the summer and doing it 'as and when' as money will be in short supply. Thinking red frame / bodywork, no fairing or bellypan, heat wrapped exhausts and shortened cans. Basically a less is more policy and a few upgrades like fatbars etc.

Cheers - Ben
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the club Ben. Lots of owners like the M900.
Good luck with the project.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
snot much if it's not in a lump, as long as the kitchen goes in it'll be OK, might get a few scowls though!!
Don't forget to add a parts washer.. sorry dish washer in, they work a treat .. just don't put anything really oily in them!!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
Hi All,

Just a few words to introduce myself and explain why I've signed up to this forum.

Previously I have owned a 996, been to the factory for a tour round and now have an early Aprilia Tuono.

Earlier this week I contacted a mate for a front tyre for the Tuono and was asked if I fancied a project...........anyways I'm off to have a look over the 'bike' this weekend!

Cutting a long story short, he's got a 900 Monster in bits that he wants £600 for and will let me pay him in small installments Hardest part will be explaining the purchase to the boss as we are about to spend big money on a new (very necesary) kitchen...

After I've paid him off I'm looking at starting on the Monster over the summer and doing it 'as and when' as money will be in short supply. Thinking red frame / bodywork, no fairing or bellypan, heat wrapped exhausts and shortened cans. Basically a less is more policy and a few upgrades like fatbars etc.

Cheers - Ben
Obviously it should be presented to her as a profit-generating investment project! Or will she know better than that?

Let me know if you want to borrow my Haynes manual (assuming it's a carbed 900) or clutch-holding tool at some point.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Nottsbiker

I first rode a 900 12 years ago and liked the lazy power when plodding along, but with enough grunt to have some fun when you wanted to get a move on.

I know it wont be a rocket-ship but looking for fun and simple biking - a 'proper' motorbike

Sorry just noticed the extra, new posts - might need some tools, but hoping my friend who's Ducati trained can help with the motor. Will be looking at places like SEP if any crank / bore etc work is required.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
SEP are very good.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Nottsbiker

Yes I've used them in the past for two stroke stuff and best of all they are only 10 miles away
Old 10-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Char
We're all mad here

nice one - dont forget to start a 'here goes' thread so you can keep us updated as work progresses.............
Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Rally
Taking life easy........

Welcome to the Monster fold Ben. You will get all the advise you may need on here and plenty more as well!
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
PETE.AKO

Smile

Hi and welcome
If you have any problems SPR at Ruddington is a exultant Bike work shop i have taken my 750 to them for the last 4 years,there good lads and know there stuff
Theres also a bike meet at
The Waggon & Horses,
Rempstone Road
Griffydam
Nr. Coalville
Leicestershire
LE67 8HP

on the last Thursday in the month its a biker friendly pub,the land lady has a bike, The Guzzi club meet there but all Italian Bikes are welcome and come the good weather we are hoping for a good turnout,theres always one or two hardened Bikers turn up on there Bikes
normally GUZZI'S and DUCATI (me)it would be good to see you even if you're in the car! till the bikes done. Pete
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
Nottsbiker

You obviously missed the Tuono part ;-)

I'm hoping to leave the bike alone until I can spare the money to do stuff but I know I'll be doing bits and Bobs along the way which I can document.

Just wish we didn't have a house renovation project that's going to take up all my / our money - might have to sell her pink speed triple...
Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Welcome to the club and good luck with the project

Remember to post lot's of photo's - we like rebuild stories on here
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #13
Lima071

welcome, good luck when it starts.
Old 13-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
Nottsbiker

Cheers! Now I have a decent phone I will keep you all updated with my slow progress
Old 13-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Twentytoo

Bike: M696
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE.AKO View Post
Hi and welcome
If you have any problems SPR at Ruddington is a exultant Bike work shop i have taken my 750 to them for the last 4 years,there good lads and know there stuff
Theres also a bike meet at
The Waggon & Horses,
Rempstone Road
Griffydam
Nr. Coalville
Leicestershire
LE67 8HP

on the last Thursday in the month its a biker friendly pub,the land lady has a bike, The Guzzi club meet there but all Italian Bikes are welcome and come the good weather we are hoping for a good turnout,theres always one or two hardened Bikers turn up on there Bikes
normally GUZZI'S and DUCATI (me)it would be good to see you even if you're in the car! till the bikes done. Pete
ahh, there's one I live close to and have never heard of.....Hopefully my shifts will allow me to attend one...

Welcome NottsBiker....
Twentytoo is offline   Reply With Quote