UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello, looking for a S4R

Old 23-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
kenloen

Smile Hello, looking for a S4R

Hi All - Jason from Tadworth..

Just joined your lovely forum.

I currently ride a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-7R which I have now had for 16k miles and 2 years. Its been a great bike but I but my commute is through the outskirts of central London and the sportsbike position is too extreme and I am getting bored of it quickly.

So I am looking for a S4R, love the styling of the Monster and S4R has that something little extra whilst just being affordable. I will be trailing through lots of posts trying to brush up on everything I need to know on my 1st Duke..

wish me luck, anything I might need to know from the outset please show me the way..
whilst I am still learning can I post directly to shops selling to ask for a more experienced eye? have seen a pretty cheap number available but there are 2 things not sure on... there is no stripe over tank and the seat has the full passenger seat rather than the colourcoded cover !?!?

rgds Jason
Old 23-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
markus

I have a very trick s2r for sale instead - more power than most will ever need - check the for sale section

good luck in finding what you're after
Old 23-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Commuting on an S4R in London will be hard work. The bikes are very torquey and might not be the smoothest or lightest bike to commute on. You might want to try before you buy from a garage somewhere so you can drive through London for a while and see what it's like.
I personally love the power, but don't commute. Phew.
And I'm sure there's one for sale in the 'For Sale' section, a blue one with Arrow pipes. Looks the nuts.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
kenloen

Yeah will do, I love the look of the blue S4R but its slightly out of my price range. I spotted a 11k miler for 3k so will be booking a test run. As for heavy, the 7 is 205kg and very front loaded, unless you are 40-50mph + very hard on the wrists. Whats the better commuter the 4R??
Old 23-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Sean Bailes

Cool S4 overheating

I have an 03 S4 and found that the bike heated up a little too quickly and spent most of the time with the "HI" showing on the instruments even though there was plenty of coolant. Following a visit to the main dealer, a new thermostat was purchased (£104 !!) and fitted. Still overheating. Checked the water pump- still overheating. After flushing the cooling system I fitted a new radiator cap and used new 50/50 coolant. Problem solved.
Just goes to show, that it always pays to look for the least expensive option first!
Old 23-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
kenloen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenloen View Post
Yeah will do, I love the look of the blue S4R but its slightly out of my price range. I spotted a 11k miler for 3k so will be booking a test run. As for heavy, the 7 is 205kg and very front loaded, unless you are 40-50mph + very hard on the wrists. Whats the better commuter the 4R??
wwoooaaa .. sorry the S4 doesnt have the single swing arm and exhaust all on one side.... gotta be the S4R then..
Old 23-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
kenloen

hows this look to the more knowledgeble? bottom left is a link to the S4R..

http://www.geomoto.co.uk/
Old 23-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Gotta say that looks alright to me, plus the warranty backup from them too.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Must be an early one as the S4R didn't officially make the model list until 2004.
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2004/d...delName=S4R-04
Old 23-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
neilbaldry

S2R 800 I would say is a better bet. (Not that im being biased!)
Aircooled engine,
Slipper clutch,
SR style,
cheaper than an S4R,
half as much to service,
cheaper to insure,
more than fast enough on the UK roads,
hold their resale value
Old 23-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
littlejimmy12

I agree I commute on my S2R 800 every day and its been very practical, resale wise I think you'll find it hard to shift an S4R. A Buddy of mine has had his up for months and apart from a couple of silly offers hasn;t had any bites.

Personally I'd buy Markus's S2R its the dogs Bolloks, I've basically copied his as best I could (afford) pissed off your selling it now though Markus as I'd have bought that 4 months back..............oh well
Old 23-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
james9327

S4R 2004 (54)
Blue/White,4,300 miles
Arrow exhausts,cat eliminator plus originals
usual overpolished,underused.
very nice as seen, £4500
call me on 07831 673545 if any intrest
Old 23-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
james9327

sorry forgot to change price to £4000
Old 23-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
Bodybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus View Post
I have a very trick s2r for sale instead - more power than most will ever need - check the for sale section

I've ridden this bike and its one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. The amount of work that Markus has putinto it would make the next owner one of the luckiest S2R owners around.

Having commuted into Westminster from Leicester every day on an S4, I can say the standard clutch is too heavy and as has been said already, they tend to overheat when not being used properly. i.e. ragged through country lanes.

You have to remember that the S4R is a 996 in a naked frame so its an out and out race engine. Not ideal for commuting.

Just my twopenneth worth.
Old 24-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #15
kenloen

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus View Post

Wow!!! that is stunning! I didnt realise you could mod these bikes like that.. Do you have anymore pictures for me scrapbook.. Wish I have that sort of money..