UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Winter commuting questions

Old 19-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #1
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
Got new tyres the other day…man what a difference! Got a motobatt too which is great.

Never used dielectric grease so that will be a Youtube video!

Cheers all!
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 08:05 PM   #2
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminbmx View Post
Got new tyres the other day…man what a difference! Got a motobatt too which is great.
Cool. Hope the AGM works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminbmx View Post
Never used dielectric grease so that will be a Youtube video!
It's a non-conductive grease, usually silicon-based. Clean your electrical connectors if/as necessary- and then apply dielectric fairly liberally. and re-connect. The pressure of remaking the contact displaces the grease - and then the connection is sealed from the air/moisture.

It just prevents air or water getting into the connector causing them to oxidize or otherwise corrode/degrade the connection. It's probably not so vitally important for the WeatherPack/SuperSeal connectors on the main harness (these should be weathertight anyway, if in good condition) - but that cheesy alternator block connector? Bullet terminals on the indicators? Pack that stuff in there, you betcha... LOL

I'd do battery terminals, multi-plug connectors, handlebar switches, spark plug caps etc. are all candidates. I'd probably also do relay bases etc and anything else I could find while I was at it for good measure. Basically everything on a bike is exposed to the elements, especially at any out-of-town speed...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 09:12 PM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The looms are usually OK it's the connecters that are the weakest spots, just make sure everything is lubricated and it'll be fine.
Oh and on one deep long wade on my way home a cheeky bugger on a BMW offered me a squirt or two of WD, hmmm who was misfiring when we got to the other side