UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Starter motor

Old 06-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Starter motor

Hey guy’s,
So my evo pops up with the odd starting issue every now and then so I decided to have an investigation of the starter motor.

The main connection is really pretty rusty and might be contributing to it. Is there anyway to clean this up? Changing the starter motor out looks like a right pain.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
Luddite

Do you mean the terminal under the rubber boot, Ron?

If it's looking rusty, then removing the cable and cleaning both parts will definitely improve matters BUT be very careful undoing the nut. If it is badly corroded, then there's a danger the terminal itself could turn with the nut, which can tear off the attached wires inside the starter itself. I believe there's a hex at the base of the terminal, which you can get a thin spanner on to stop it turning.

I think the most recent removal/replacement of a 696/796/1100 starter was by MrsC_772 and there's lots of useful info. in her thread.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56223
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
Ron1000

That’s the one Lud. Thanks again for the info. I’ll stick a pic up of the terminal so you can all laugh at how bad it looks

I’ll probably just ACF50 it and keep an eye on it.

Last edited by Ron1000; 07-04-2020 at 08:11 AM..
Old 07-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Ron1000

Offending item. Don’t think it looks too bad now I see it better from a photo. Anyway I’ve sprayed it with ACF50 then coated it in copper grease to keep the worst of the weather off it. I’ll just keep an eye on it.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Do you have a multimeter? Measure between the frame and the end of the screw thread under the rubber boot on the starter. You should see +12V while the starter is running.

If you see 12V on the thread, then the battery, wiring and contactor are all OK.

If you don't, then either the battery is weak or you're getting a voltage drop somewhere between the battery and starter. It's worth probing directly on the battery itself, on both terminals of the contactor, and on the crimp terminal under the rubber boot on the starter.

It's a very simple circuit and there aren't many places where a voltage can be dropped.

If the contactor has gone, there are cheap alternatives available on Ebay that do fit. IIRC I put in an aftermarket one designed for a Kawasaki and it was fine (but had the input and output terminals the opposite way round - watch out for this if you go this route!).
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote