UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » sprag clutch replacement

Old 29-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #46
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Hi Darren, I couldn't justify the price for Exactstart cables so went for Halfords upgrade instead. They do various different lengths and colours for only a few quid each, cables are approx twice as thick as OEM. Only marginal difference to starting though.

Apart from changing the sprag the other main positive change was swapping the reg/rect for the yamaha equiv with triumph cables (Kato method).

I changed the starter motor as well last year, I think it conked out due to the stresses of trying to start the engine with the duff sprag though.

This will be the 1st time in 7 years I've not had a "will it/won't it" fear every time I hit the start button!
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #47
CarloL

Bike: M900
Hi Alan

I think I have the same issue , mine is a 1997 M900 but with only 6K miles ; on hitting the start button (especially from cold) , all I hear is a Whizz sound , appears to make zero attempt to turn the engine over , 3-4 tries it will at some point turn it over , if it fires its up , is a lottery , might make a few more Whizz noises then turn it over again

Like you I was changing everything , exact start cables, batteries, new starter solenoid (i put Tyco super seal connector , mitigate the corrosion on the butt connector) ... looks like I will need to do the sprag clutch

Is the Sprag clutch a common issue?

Does yours just fire up first try now?
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #48
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Sprag wear and poor starting are a bit of a vicious circle, if the starter’s turning without the engine firing it’s probably wearing the sprag clutch more. Look for extra metal shavings on the drain plug when you change the oil. 6k miles sound very low mileage for that problem though.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #49
CarloL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Sprag wear and poor starting are a bit of a vicious circle, if the starter’s turning without the engine firing it’s probably wearing the sprag clutch more. Look for extra metal shavings on the drain plug when you change the oil. 6k miles sound very low mileage for that problem though.
I have no idea , when I last left it in for a service , mechanic said he did not notice anything regards starting it , I never noticed any shavings in the oil

Winter last year I noticed it , bike was used daily , cold mornings it is most prevalent , if you start it from warm , she fires straight up

Now she gets used roughly once or twice a month , battery going flat I am sure does not help

I will keep an eye on it , maybe look at it again when things get better

Just looking at the parts

https://oem-parts.hu/en/parts/ducati...gnition-system

I was thinking

19 .THRUST WASHER 35.5X48
21 .BEARING, NEEDLE
22 DRIVEN GEAR
23 .SPRING RING
24 CLUTCH, ONE WAY
Old 19-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #50
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
I presume you've checked battery voltage? I think my problems originally stemmed from the duff reg/rect that was fitted to the bike.

Watch this video and if you don't have a decent impact gun get one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfmBK7frAtI&t=927s
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #51
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
A couple of weeks ago, i invested in a flywheel locking tool from Moto rapido Ducati. Approx £110.
Some on ebay are 2/3 the price. It’s an updated design to the genuine tool i borrowed a few years ago. I had to borrow one at the time, because the ‘ Laser tools ‘one i had bought was sh@t!
Just don’t make the same frustrating mistake!

You’ll need some threebond or a gasket from exact uk.

Last edited by damien666; 19-10-2020 at 05:50 PM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #52
CarloL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
I presume you've checked battery voltage? I think my problems originally stemmed from the duff reg/rect that was fitted to the bike.

Watch this video and if you don't have a decent impact gun get one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfmBK7frAtI&t=927s
Ap per this thread you are refereeing to ?

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=46708

I will check again , not too sure if a single phase ( i think the gen 1 97 model is) is pnp with the Triumph lead?

Last year I removed the OE butt connectors and replaced with a crimped weather proof connector