UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Lightweight horn alternative

Old 25-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Lightweight horn alternative

Hi All, OK it struck me the other day that the horn on my heap only gets used once a year.... at Mot time, and for the rest of the year I take it out for rides. So is there a lightweight alternative to satisfy the legal requirement?
Bitza
Old 26-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Does it come with matching big red shoes?
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Not MOTable, can't produce a continuous tone.

Given your CF/Ti throttle quadrant manufacturing success, I can see an opportunity for you there ;-)
First stop: local mc breakers, take your kitchen scales to find the smallest/lightest donor item to start from.

Last edited by slob; 26-11-2021 at 10:25 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Bummer about the single continuous note regs....I was going to link the squeeze bulb on the horn to the water squirting flower on my lapel.....hey-ho...
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I've no idea how loud a cab buzzer would be?
https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co...?search=buzzer
VWP is a good company to deal with and have an interesting catalogue of useful looking stuff. One for the favourites bar.

You would probably need to mount it on something that would resonate to amplify it a bit and possibly make a lightweight carbon horn of some sort? (Take the top off a coke can and mount it in the bottom?)
At least you could put as many as you liked on your bike as the weight is listed as 0.00kg.

I've gone the other way on the Commando and mounted two horns, a hi and lo.
Thinking about putting some mega horns on the Monster too, as I am sick and tired of 2@s pulling out in front of me.. Something to hopefully burst their eardrums or shatter their windows..
Old 26-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
Bitza
Bronze Member

Well the squeeze horn idea takes me back to the late 70's, at that time I lived/worked SW London and the best place to get an MOT was Mac Motors around Mitchum way as I remember. Anyway if your bike was a little iffy then the drill was to wait for a rainy day, then park the bike out on the street in front of the shop forecourt, go in buy a bulb horn and ask for the MOT, which simply involved telling Mac the registration number and paying the fee. Things seem so much more involved these days.

Cab buzzer seems like an idea, I'm going to try out a plastic alarm horn 125Dbs, 266gms max saving on this one.
Old 26-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
slob

266g!

this one claims to be under 100g
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The cab buzzer will probably be 80-90dB and about 30g

"An audible warning must be loud enough to be heard by other road users.
For vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1973, the sound emitted must be continuous or uniform."

Last edited by slob; 26-11-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Old 26-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Would the noisy bit of a smoke alarm be usable? There might be a voltage issue but not unresolvable. No idea how they work, nor if they can be made to sound continuously.. Bloody loud though!
Old 26-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
That looks like the one on my Monster, I bought it because it was slimline (and cheap), sounds a bit squeaky but loud enough and does the job at the MOT station. Can't say I've ever used it in anger...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #11
Bitza
Bronze Member

Well that would save a cool 175gms, pretty goods saving in terms of gms/£. I'll let you know how much the plastic one weighs next week, this thread really is riveting.
Old 26-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #12
slob

I also almost never used the horn and was in the habit of blipping the throttle and using unbaffled Remus/Termignoni alert others of my presence, until I read the material for a basic maintenance course I was asked to teach, which pointed out that: if you blip the throttle to alert some myopic twit pulling out on you and they knock you off anyway, witness statements are more likely to say “I heard the bike revving hard…” etc.
Old 28-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

It was a couple of the little waterproof horns that I put on the Norton.
I weighed them yesterday and can confirm that they are 100g each. Interestingly the stainless bolt, nut and washers weigh in at 26g. I have used a few aluminium bolts on the Monster in low stress areas and they work fine for a fraction of the weight of stainless or Ti.
I also use aluminium nuts on them and sometimes nylon, which are never going to corrode.

The little horns and alloy brackets replace the original structure on the Commando, there was also another Altette the other side. not sure how much this lot weighs as my scales do not read in Solar masses! (It was held together with 12 5/16" bolts and nuts and another 4 to hold it on the frame!)

I've also replaced the two coils with a twin output one which is an unintentional weight saving, but something to think about on a Ducati if it would work? Don't know if you might even have 4 coils on a twin spark motor?
The new bracket is made from alloy channel and doubles as a heat sink.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 28-11-2021 at 09:50 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #14
Bitza
Bronze Member

Neat job Gary. Re coils I'm using Magnetti Marelli ones basically due to the plugs on the harness, and the fact that I couldn't find plugs to suit the Beru coils which lok to be far better. The M M coils do weigh a lot. Something for the future maybe.
Old 28-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #15
slob

696/796 have much smaller coils than 620/800, might be worth looking at what the 1100(s) uses