UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Ben's 900 Monster build

Old 14-08-2023, 08:10 AM   #91
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Been struggling to find some converters that fit the early risers for putting fat bars onto (into?) the M900 so gave up and had some made by a local engineering firm. Once I know how high I want them I'll probably get them milled lower at a later date (currently bracket +40mm). They are also doing my clutch casing for me as well

Old 14-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #92
Sirc

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
Cleaned the brake callipers up as best as I could but cant get them any better than shown despite multiple efforts with various cleaners. I'll have to settle for the dirty look and pretend they are magnesium

Also need to find a source for the pad pins as there seems to be a number used across the years by Brembo / Ducati etc. I've found some SS ones on ebay but they dont come with the little barrel shaped spring holder and also have an extra part on the end with an R clip which mine dont

Unless your calipers are somehow different to the many i've owned and lightly refurbished, i think the "grubby" grime appearance can be removed with a diluted solvent. You can safely use GT85 for this, as the propellant that evaporates in seconds is perfect for this, although it's an expensive way to do it. This and a clean toothbrush or nailbrush and some clean cotton cloth, the latter used quickly after after each spray, works wonders.
I can see some more ingrained discolouration that probably won't be improved, but this looks to be a minority.
Old 14-08-2023, 12:46 PM   #93
900Rebuilder

Thanks Sirc - I'll give it a go
Old 14-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #94
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Been struggling to find some converters that fit the early risers for putting fat bars onto (into?) the M900 so gave up and had some made by a local engineering firm. Once I know how high I want them I'll probably get them milled lower at a later date (currently bracket +40mm). They are also doing my clutch casing for me as well
IIRC you're using 916 Showa forks as am I? if so with regards to the height, the forks protrude around 50mm, depending on how high you set them in the yoke (mine are around 48mm with 2 'rings' showing) but you obviously want some room to get to the adjusters without having to remove the bars.

I've got 30mm risers on top of the original Monster riser/bracket and that sits the centre of the riser bracket/bar around 75mm from the yoke which is about as close as you can go if you still want to adjust the forks (I've got around 8mm gap between bar and screw top).

As fat bars are a little thicker I'd say bracket +40mm sounds about right to me.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 02:34 PM   #95
900Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
IIRC you're using 916 Showa forks as am I? if so with regards to the height, the forks protrude around 50mm, depending on how high you set them in the yoke (mine are around 48mm with 2 'rings' showing) but you obviously want some room to get to the adjusters without having to remove the bars.

I've got 30mm risers on top of the original Monster riser/bracket and that sits the centre of the riser bracket/bar around 75mm from the yoke which is about as close as you can go if you still want to adjust the forks (I've got around 8mm gap between bar and screw top).

As fat bars are a little thicker I'd say bracket +40mm sounds about right to me.
Yes I've got early 916 fork legs for this bike coupled with Renthal Street-Low fat bars. If they are too low I'll get some spacers made that are the same dimensions as the new risers to be able to fine tune things - we shall see....
Old 15-08-2023, 09:51 AM   #96
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Yes I've got early 916 fork legs for this bike coupled with Renthal Street-Low fat bars. If they are too low I'll get some spacers made that are the same dimensions as the new risers to be able to fine tune things - we shall see....
Having properly re-read your post, if I've understood it correctly then it will almost certainly be too low.

Unless your forks are somehow different to the 2 sets of 916 forks I've got? then there is around 40mm of 'gubbins' protruding from the fork top so unless you fit them with the tops flush to the yoke (which would be too high a ride height) then the bars will foul the fork tops.

I'd say you'll need another 30 - 40mm height, mine has 30mm risers on top of the OEM 40mm? Monster risers and there is sufficient (but not much) clearance.

Assuming the 40mm is to bar centre? then with fat bars being fatter then the lower edge of the bar will sit closer to the fork top than 'thin' bars meaning, all else being equal, you'll have a little less clearance.

You could use a suitable bar riser though a custom spacer underneath would look 'cleaner'.

Old 15-08-2023, 10:25 AM   #97
900Rebuilder

The 40mm is to the bottom of the add-on adapter so in truth its around 50mm, but if like you say its still too low I'll get some spacers machined to match coupled with longer bolts etc.

This is why I'm building now but expecting to ride next year
Old 15-08-2023, 10:47 AM   #98
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My M900Sie has the "916" forks as standard and is fitted with higher risers as standard to raise the bars above the fork top adjusters.
It does this with the forks the standard 20mm above the yoke. (to the top of the fork top nut flange.)
Just before my last ride, I dropped the forks by 10 mm and I'm amazed at how nicely it handles now after riding it at the "standard" setting for 10 years.
The turn in is now much more confidence inspiring and its steady throughout all lean angles, holding a line beautifully and yet still willing to flick round manhole covers just like before. I even reduced my chicken strips a little more.

It just felt so wobbly after riding the Commando and Zero. It now feels much safer and I'm holding more corner speed too.
Only slight drawback is a bit more side stand lean, but that's fixable and I'm planning on fitting a centre stand anyway.
Old 15-08-2023, 10:49 AM   #99
Nasher

Just as an aside, in case it's any use.
The Top yoke and various adaptors I show in post #28 of this thread could be persuaded out of my grubby mits with a decent offer:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=60050&page=2

Apologies, I can't access Postimage or similar through our work firewall.
Old 16-08-2023, 09:33 AM   #100
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Just as an aside, in case it's any use.
The Top yoke and various adaptors I show in post #28 of this thread could be persuaded out of my grubby mits with a decent offer:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=60050&page=2

Apologies, I can't access Postimage or similar through our work firewall.
The ABM yoke shown is interesting as, aside from the slanted riser it has the riser mounts offset to the forks meaning you wouldn't need so much height to clear the fork tops and adjustment would be easier.

If I hadn't already got mine sorted and happy with the setup I'd be interested, assuming they fit old-school Monster.

Old 16-08-2023, 12:49 PM   #101
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Unfortunately Nasher's lovely ABM yoke has 30mm offset if it fits a 1000SSie.
Ben's yokes are 25mm offset.

Old 16-08-2023, 01:16 PM   #102
Dukedesmo

Yes, I should have realised that is how it can be more 'offset' than that of a Monster.

Old 16-08-2023, 01:35 PM   #103
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Are they stainless bolts in the callipers? Don’t think it’s a good idea I only use titanium on brakes due to the heat cycling issue.

Pooh
Old 16-08-2023, 01:36 PM   #104
900Rebuilder

Can you please explain? I dont have SS on the mounts but thought / assumed these would be ok...
Old 16-08-2023, 01:57 PM   #105
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Unfortunately Nasher's lovely ABM yoke has 30mm offset if it fits a 1000SSie.
Ben's yokes are 25mm offset.
Ah, yes, thanks Mr G.

Getting my mucking offsets fuddled again.