UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New Il Mostro 900 owner, and she's a beaut!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Edcase

Thumbs up New Il Mostro 900 owner, and she's a beaut!

Well, it's been almost a year to the day since I passed my CBT and bought a Vespa 125 for commuting to work and back in London.

Initially it was all about convenience, however I soon grew to just enjoy being on the bike. I never planned to get a 'proper' bike, I've always been a car person.

Then I got fed up of struggling to get away at the lights, and wanted that little bit more power. I planned to get a 250 vespa, but decided to do a full license as I knew the test was getting harder next year.

2 days on geared bikes, I passed with 2 minors, and fell in love with the feeling and freedom on a 'proper' bike (albeit a 500 Suzuki GS!)

I began looking at a 748 Ducati, which I've always loved, hated the riding position, nearly bough a NC30 VFR400, but then a move slightly further out of London meant the need () for a better commuter bike, and after a hot tip off from a friend on a car forum my heart and head found the Ducati Monster 900.

But not just any Monster 900.

This one is a 93 plate, yet has only covered 3500 miles, having been dry stored by a female owner for over 11 years!

I picked her up today, and she is utterly mint, starts in a hearbeat and runs like a dream. Since being back on the road its had all fluids, belts, battery etc. done, the tyres seem okay, I'll commute on em for a while then change them as they are bound to have hardened.

I was worried getting on it having not ridden since passing my test, but it was super light, low seat, great riding position for my build, and remarkably easy to ride (except the obscene turning circle!). I was expecting, well, a monster!

On the open road, the 90degree twin took some getting used to, but I found it worked keeping a slightly open throttle at all times where possible, but when you get a chance to open her up, it rearranged my definition of quick, and I drive an M5!

Despite riding 60 miles back to London, I didnt dare open it right to the stops in anything below third for fear my hands were going to come off the bars! (I only weight about 9.5 stone ) Bear in mind this is my first proper bike and my first above 500cc. And the sound!!!

Anyway, as you can tell I am smitten, and its hard to fathom looking at her that its a 15 year old design!!

Anyway, judge for yourself.

Look forward to hopefully meeting some of you around soon!