UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Racing » MOTO GP 2017 predictions?

Old 01-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #31
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Kato - I'm not going to argue with you about not liking Rossi, that's your perogative, however 'overrated' and 'average'? Behave.

In some ways though, rightly or wrongly, Rossi IS bigger than the sport. Name one other rider in the paddock who would have fans, or who would be known for anything at all outside of MotoGP... He's a worldwide superstar, and that's why they say every race is a home race for Rossi and they don't say it about anyone else.

When he does eventually retire, MotoGP will be a little bit less interesting on track and off it, that's for sure.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #32
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
G.O.A.T no doubt, his skill and record shows that.

Punching people? The G.O.A.T also has character

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #33
Dookbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Erm... Hailwood? Just saying...

No doubt Ago should be up there though, of course. For me though (and for many), given all his achievements, and the fact he's still winning races, Rossi is the current GOAT. It'll take one hell of a career to surpass his now.
take a glance at my avatar to see who I rate as G.O.A.T
Old 01-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #34
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
As far as I know there are only two riders with nine world titles, usually when a there is a tie the winner would be whoever achieved the wins in the fastest time, so by that logic Mike Hailwood wins
MH 9 titles in 76 wins
VR 9 titles in 112
But that does not take Ago into account 15 titles in 122 wins so surely he is N01 ??

I would add Jarno Saarinen, and King Kenny to the list and put them both above rossi, only my opinion

Who was the most talented? Impossible to know because they rode in different eras on different bikes, with different rivals and when different talents mattered, so we need to look much deeper to understand the achievements of the greats, their performances according to the motorcycles they had beneath them and the rivals they had beside them, because merely counting race wins and world championships is never enough.

One IMO legend whos name I won't even mention, over one weekend raced in 5 different categories in all 7 rounds of each capacity; a weekend consisting of 35 races. Not only did he compete in all these categories at different engine capacities, won 32 out of the 35 races. There were five National titles to be won that weekend, He won all five, greatness indeed.

So I think calling Rossi the greatest just because he is currently the media favourite is a little short sighted.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #35
SteveG

Yawn. .... Bored now. How about this gets back to a predictions 2017 thread as per bigredduke original post and the K.A.R.H (Kato Anti-Rossi Hijack) and / or G.O.A.T (s) discussion.. the latter which admittedly is quite interesting in it's own right - gets moved to thread all of its own?....just a friendly thought...
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #36
Dirty
Bockloks

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

G.O.A.T. We all know who that means

Old 01-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #37
Ursa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Yawn. .... Bored now. How about this gets back to a predictions 2017 thread as per bigredduke original post and the K.A.R.H (Kato Anti-Rossi Hijack) and / or G.O.A.T (s) discussion.. the latter which admittedly is quite interesting in it's own right - gets moved to thread all of its own?....just a friendly thought...
Yes! Kato's obsession with hating Rossi is dull at it's best...

How interesting was it that lovely Iannone got the second highest times in the aggregated laps?? I think it's looking more like Maverick/Iannone for top spot going forward.

And in the celebrity stakes lovely Iannone seems to be taking up many column inches in the Italian press with his relationship with the slightly unfortunately named Belen Rodriquez (which Iannone cannot pronounce with his speech impediment) a TV and modelling personality, in the realms of the Abbie Clancy type. Something Rossi has never really been afflicted with...

So I revise my 1 2 3

1. Lovely Iannone
2. Vinales
3. Marquez
Old 01-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #38
Dirty
Bockloks

Rossi has never had a speech impediment or Rossi has never had a hot girlfriend?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #39
Kato
Dismantled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Rossi has never had a speech impediment or Rossi has never had a hot girlfriend?
His speech was fairly impeded the day that Casey pointed out to him that
his ambition clearly outweighed his talent

Definitely not hot, but his girlfriend is called Uccio

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 AM   #40
Ursa

Rossi turned up with a girlfriend for about a year, but it wasn't the type of tabloid/gossip rag/Hello/OK fodder that Iannone's current relationship is.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #41
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
My final comment on the GOAT\Rossi thing... Read Mat Oxley in the March issue of Bike, where he talks about the future of MotoGP without Rossi. It's interesting stuff.

There are suggestions that the following of MotoGP will fall by 20 - 30% after he retires, such is his popularity, and that's a bad deal for sponsors etc. which potentially could mean less money for the sport. It's all speculation of course, but I'm not really in a position to dispute what Oxley is saying or where he gets his information from.

It takes more than wins to make somebody 'great'. And like it or not, nobody else's participation has ever had such a global imact on this sport, whether it's the number of titles, number of fans, popularity, economics, whatever. Can that be sensibly disputed?
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #42
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Me too Steve, but seemingly not yet........
Old 02-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #43
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
Rossi turned up with a girlfriend for about a year, but it wasn't the type of tabloid/gossip rag/Hello/OK fodder that Iannone's current relationship is.
Oh yeah, rough as ####!

Old 02-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #44
Ursa

That picture link is broken, I'm guessing it's Rossi's ex? Point is Belen is very famous in her own right in Italy, is a big TV star and model, so is part of a power couple hence the press insanity. Linda not so much.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #45
Ursa

Correction, link not broken, still my point stands.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: