UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Tyre question

Old 18-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Ady00

Bike: M900
Tyre question

Hi soon need to replace the tyres on the wife’s ‘93 M900 , currently has conti road attacks which have been good so will look at what their latest version is like but if any of you can suggest tyres that are good for spirited road riding that are consistent in the wet or dry then please forward them, wife doesn’t do track days and doesn’t ride like that on the road either so guess we’re in the sports/ touring bracket.

Thanks in advance..... Ady
Old 18-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Michelin PR4s all day long, and considering the PR5 is out now the PR4 might be a bit cheaper. I found them really 'safe' and predictable, warm up quickly and felt good in the wet (although admittedly my own experience of them in the wet was limited).

This was on a M696 I should add. And the default riding mode on that bike was most definitely 'spirited'!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 18-06-2019 at 05:22 PM..
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
vince53

Bike: M1100s
YEP mitchy Pilot rd 4's really good , had 3's 4's and 5's just gone bk to 4's very good and all of what bob has said , nice and gripy and really good wear, get about 5 to 600 miles more than most every thing else iv tried , and iv tried most * )
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #4
Ady00

Thanks both of you will give the PR4’s a try 👍
Old 18-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Rrawlings

Sorry to hijack but has anyone had a track day on pr4’s? I would recommend them to anyone for road in my own experience. Not had any moments and they are great in the rain. Got them nice and hot the other week on my trip to Hawes with some very spirited riding on some roads I know really well and they were faultless.
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
Ron1000

I’m on pr5’s excellent tyre
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Flip

Just me that isn't really a fan of Michelin's PR3 then?

First time I rode on them I had to keep stopping to check the front hadn't lost pressure.

Once I'd raised the rear up some more (it was already raised 20mm) I got most of the feeling back but still not as nice feeling (to me at least) as the Pirelli's they replaced.

They do seem to be lasting an annoyingly long time though but won't be putting another pair on when these eventually wear out.
Old 20-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #8
Ron1000

3’s! Rather old tech now? Best with 4’s or 5’s
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
Uncle Bob

Haven't tried 3s personally, but the 4 is one of the best road tyres I've ever used.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Flip - the PR3's had a real issue with front feel, all down to the "sipes". I had exactly the same opinion as you.

Not long after fitting PR3's front and back I had a slow puncture in the front, the new PR4 was available so I fitted that instead. Totally different tyre and much better front end feel.

Still got the PR3 on the rear, 8k and still going strong!
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #11
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
3’s! Rather old tech now? Best with 4’s or 5’s
I don't think is all has to do with old or new tech as much as the confidence a tyre can give (or not of course).

All modern rubber is better than most riders can use with any degree of reserve on the road and generally I have found the more track biased a tyre is the worse it can feel due to warm up and more importantly cool down times and that's without the fact that most have near slick edges making them a liability in anything other than bone dry conditions when cornering.

I admit I have got most of the feeling back by a few suspension changes but they still don't feel as nice or confidence inspiring as Pirelli's original Diablo (or Dragon Evo's before those) I had on previously and by today's standard they are proper 'old tech'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Flip- the PR3's had a real issue with front feel, all down to the "sipes". I had exactly the same opinion as you.

Not long after fitting PR3's front and back I had a slow puncture in the front, the new PR4 was available so I fitted that instead. Totally different tyre and much better front end feel.

Still got the PR3 on the rear, 8k and still going strong!
Alan, I think you are the first person to ever say they have had the same feeling about PR3's as me- I didn't know about the issues they suffered from but I wonder if it has something to do with the earlier bikes' geometry- I know the S4 had the ST frame as opposed to the 888 (loosely) based one of the 900 but not too dissimilar (I had an S4 as well for a while on Dragon Evo's) whereas the later bikes may not have been so tyre sensitive or simply the Michelins' suited them better?

Who knows but thanks for the heads up- I may have to go do some burn-outs

Last edited by Flip; 24-06-2019 at 10:04 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #12
Paul_

Bike: M696
On my 2nd set of Pirelli Angel GT, very good tyre in wet & dry conditions, gives good mileage, maybe not as long lasting as Michelin tyres but importantly gives back good 'feel'.
The equivalent Metzeler tyre is also good, a bit more wet biased than the GT.
The only negative I can give it is because it has a flatter mid section profile it takes a tiny bit more to get it to transition to the shoulder of the tyre. This isn't much but you do notice it doesn't fall in on initial transition, once on the side it feels good.
Now superceeded by the GT 2 they will probably be discounted even more.
Paul_ is offline   Reply With Quote