UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Project Single sider has begun

Old 13-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Shandy do you think its stuck in bearings or swingarm. Do I heat up swingarm. Heating up shaft will make it tighter wont it.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #17
Scotty

reet i had exactly the same problems (bar the angel grinder one)

give me a moment il take some photos ...
Old 13-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
Scotty

reet then

what you need to do is remove this bit from the swig arm

removing the bolt isn't enough and taking out the pinch type bit really helped on mine

i snapped exhaust studs on my front an all if there's enough of the stud still sticking out my favourite method of removal is to hammer on a tight fitting socket

told ya gratuitous hammer use required

uh use more release oil on the pinch cotter things and see if you can remove anoy more corrosion off the exhaust stud before 'hammer time'
Old 13-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
Scotty

umm also having replaced two exhaust studs I wonder about doing the other one (just for fun like) as the threads look a tad used
Old 13-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #20
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

So you think I should remove cotter pin type clamps. I still wonder whether the bearings are holding. I will try again tomorrow. Much thanks
Old 13-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #21
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
So you think I should remove cotter pin type clamps. I still wonder whether the bearings are holding. I will try again tomorrow. Much thanks
Albie I thought I mentioned this to you yesterday mate about taking the cotter pins out

sorry to hear about the exhaust bolts, what a pain for you

AK
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #22
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Ah yes you did but I didnt realise they were inside there. I got the bolt out and thought it would look different. Thought it was too easy. Wil try again tomorrow nite. Usual manual doesnt show detail. Exhaust shouldnt be too much of a problem. At least its at the front and not rear one with poor acccess.
Managed to get a wheel.

http://www.ducati.com/doc/catalogue/S4_Eu-02.pdf
As per usual no real details on what parts look like. Helps a bit though. How did you extract them scotty

Last edited by Albie; 13-01-2008 at 07:37 PM..
Old 13-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
Scotty

with a hammer

put the bolt back in but don't nip it up leave a few mm slack so that when you hit the top of the bolt with a hammer it should knock the threaded cotter pin out, gradually unwind the bolt to knock it further through (think I used a longer bolt for this bit)

then the other side is more difficult (in my experience as there's no thread to it) I used same bolt and hammer to gradually drift the other pin out from the other side
Old 13-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #24
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Albie, swingarm spindle is a PITA to get out, but a doddle compared to getting it back in again... that really is fun Try doing it with an extra 50kg of trike subframe welded on for a laugh

I had to replace both front exhaust studs on trike. Both nuts were rusted solid and chewed up, but managed to wind studs out with mole grips. Rear cylinder was ok but clamp bolt on downpipe was seized, and had to be attacked with dremel.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 13-01-2008 at 09:20 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #25
Scotty

I'd offer to come down and hit your bike with a hammer for you , but its a bit far, did I mention I like hitting things with hammers ~:?
Old 14-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #26
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

These cotters deffo need to come out then. I got home late tonite so tomorrows the time. Scotty if you have a home number could you pm me. Maybe could have a chat.

GaryT you can home and help if you like LOL. I had to angle grind that clamp. Ooops went into the exhaust too. Did it blind
Old 14-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #27
DavidEJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I'd offer to come down and hit your bike with a hammer for you , but its a bit far, did I mention I like hitting things with hammers ~:?
Ahhh, how I miss the unique North East sports.
Old 14-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #28
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
These cotters deffo need to come out then. I got home late tonite so tomorrows the time. Scotty if you have a home number could you pm me. Maybe could have a chat.

GaryT you can home and help if you like LOL. I had to angle grind that clamp. Ooops went into the exhaust too. Did it blind
Albie it's all in the timing...

Repeat this little chant after me

Come...WHACK!...Out....SMACK!...You... WALLOP!......BANG!...

Works (nearly) every time
Old 15-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #29
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The joy then comes when you try to get the shims back between the swining arm and the engine as you cant see anything and you cant get your hand up there - I know as of late I've done a few of them

AK
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #30
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Ahh yes... the shims

Alan,

You've spoilt the surprise - I was going to let Albie find out about the shims the hard way...fantastic fun to be had in a freezing cold, dark garage