UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New here

Old 12-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
peterbgoode

New here

Hi everyone! Pete from Bristol, thinking of buying a Monster, the only thing left is to figure out which one You look like a knowledgeable bunch of people. Thanks for having me! Now going to read hard
*read read read*
Old 12-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
S4R Dude

Bike: S4r
Stop reading.........S4R
S4R Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Darkness

Bike: M900
Easy really: a pre '95 m900 [Original and best], or a m1200R [Latest and mostest]. Anything else is just in the development stages.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
This could be like an oil or tyre thread. For me though it would have to be S4/S4R or if you can stretch the budget there's a really nice Black S4RS on ebay for 8K but prices for those are going to go ballistic soon I think. Same as 748/916/996 prices seem to be heading.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Easy really: a pre '95 m900 [Original and best], or a m1200R [Latest and mostest]. Anything else is just in the development stages.
Yes quite true but then those 'in between' bikes allow you all the fun of 'developing' it they way you want just as Ducati originally intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
This could be like an oil or tyre thread.
And lets not even get started on the Air versus Water cooling debate- oh crap!!

Back on thread- welcome along there's a Monster for everyone (well everyone with any taste that is) you just need to decide what you want from one and how deep your pockets are to narrow the choices.
Old 14-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
peterbgoode

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. I was actually looking at S4r, it's really cool, though M900 is more affordable, right?
Old 14-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
S4R Dude

M900 bloody nice bike, and you can easily really make it your own. OR.......cut out the inevitable change in a couple of years and go S4R..
Old 14-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbgoode View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. I was actually looking at S4r, it's really cool, though M900 is more affordable, right?
Well it depends a little on whether you mean more affordable to buy or to service etc?

Yes an M900 would be cheaper to buy -although an immaculate original or well restored model (like Albie's) might be a close call as prices are rising steadily as more and more people start putting them under the 'classic' banner.

As for servicing, particularly if you are paying someone to carry out quality work then any of the 2v models will be a bit cheaper for parts, require less time spent doing the work (half the number of valves to shim) and also with the extra power of the 4v bikes they will get through the consumables (tyres, chains and sprockets etc.) a bit faster too.

Also for any bikes (like the S4R) that have a single sided swing arm they will need a dedicated paddock stand and correct tool for routine jobs such as chain adjustment.

There are a few S4R's on eBay at the moment at varying asking prices from around £4-7000 but out of them this one looks good (albeit at the higher end), with a ridiculously low mileage but being sold through a Ducati dealer so any problems where it has been standing should be sorted or honoured through a warranty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MON...gAAOSwOMdZPltR

But also worth a look if you like the single sided swing arm but decide against the higher running cost and plumbing is this S2R 1000 which is fitted with arguably the best air cooled 2v motor Ducati have ever produced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Ducat...wAAOSwRwhZups0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4R Dude View Post
M900 bloody nice bike, and you can easily really make it your own. OR.......cut out the inevitable change in a couple of years and go S4R..
After seventeen years of 900 ownership I'm still waiting for the 'inevitable change' to happen!!

I did have an S4 along side it for a while (well a couple of months), I really wanted to like it and on paper it should have been sooo much better than my 900 but for me it had none of the character of the air cooled motor and none of the WOW! of a 'proper' 916.

Plus, and I'm sorry to have to say this ..... all that plumbing on show just didn't do it for me.

But I will say and I know things have to move on etc. etc. the S4R is by far the best (in my eyes) package (looks and performance) water cooled Monster there is to date and with those classic looks will no doubt be the one to watch the prices rocket in the not too distant future.
Old 15-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
peterbgoode

Flip, I can't thank you enough, really appreciate it. I meant the initial price, without further service.
The picture is getting much more clear to me
Old 15-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #10
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Agree but then I have both!
Old 16-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #11
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
So you like the S4r but want a proper engine and something a bit more affordable?? Then only one choice, S2r !
/end thread
Old 16-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #12
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbgoode View Post
Hi everyone! Pete from Bristol, thinking of buying a Monster, the only thing left is to figure out which one You look like a knowledgeable bunch of people. Thanks for having me! Now going to read hard
*read read read*
The original style Monsters are the iconic ones, with the 900 being the size the design concept thought best. Some might say it can be a blessing not to have carbs so I recommend you find a 900ie which as you have probably guessed would very similar to mine...

Winter is just around the corner, so I expect you will be tripping over cheap bikes soon enough.

PS. In case you hadnt noticed I am a little biased.
Old 16-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
... the 900 being the size the design concept thought best.
Probably not quite true. The Monster was conceived around an 888 and would have most likely have had an 888, 4 valve, liquid cooled engine. (Not far off 900 though, granted.)

When the Monster went into production apparently the 900SS models were not selling well and so 900 (904) engines were pulled off out of stock and used in Monsters.

Not saying this story is gospel, happy to hear other versions. But agree that the M900 is the most iconic.
Old 16-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
S4R Dude

888 chassis with a 904 engine from the 900ss was, i agree, the first of the monsters. Not sure i agree that it was likely to have had the engine of the 888. As Ducati ceased production of the 888 in 1993 i suspect they were never intending to use it.
Old 16-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
i remember seeing this as the original concept drawing. does look like a 4v
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote