UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Yes it hurts...but I have a new knee!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Morag

Yes it hurts...but I have a new knee!

Hi All,
I've had the knee replacement op. It went really well, it's just been a rough first few days managing the pain. Old rotten part has gone and I'm now full of various kinds of metal. Going to see the new xray tomorrow - how exciting and weird is that going to be!

Might be a slight problem though... The maximum bend angle I'll get with the new knee could/will be less than my old one!!! So, looking for volunteers to measure the normal leg angle for when your foots is up on the peg twhilst sat on a Monster. Fingers crossed I'll be within the limit and still be ok to ride the Monster. (left side) now this could be quite funny watching you do this, and don't drop your bikes, but would love to know so I can stop worrying about having to swapbikes.
In a great Hosptial in London over looking the Thames, it looked such a lovely day today for riding your bikes and I hope all of you did!

Hope the message makes sense, anesthetic and words aren't mixing too well yet.
Morag
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Oh well done and hope you mend soon. Can imagine the pain could be severe in knees. GT has one leg so I doubt you will have a problem. I hope not and your very brave and I admire you says a squeamish Albie eeek !!!!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I am sure you will be ok with the angle of bend in your knee - as long as you get at least 90 degrees you should be ok on the Monster.
Make sure you rest and take your medication. Keep taking the voltarol!

Titanium knees rock!

See you on the bike on 7th September?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Snips

Glad to hear you're on the mending side of the op'.

The angle probably depends on a number of things (leg length etc), and you can probably tweak the bike a little too (different seats etc).

I'm sure you'll be back on a Monster real soon.

Good luck for a speedy and optimal recovery!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
From a 'trade' point of view a good knee with skinny legs can flex up to 170 odd degrees, you will inevitably loose a bit of flexion but I'd say that even if you lost as much as 40 degrees you're still going to fit the bike.
I'll see if I can catch our local and nationally respected knee guy and get some solid numbers on outcomes, it will depend on what kind of joint replacement it is I imagine.
Quick sit and guestimate says anything over 95 degrees should do the job nicely, so we'll see you out there soon
Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
I'd also think you need more than 90 degrees for comfort on a monster. I struggle to get past 90 on my gammy side for various reasons, and more than an hour in the saddle's agony as cramp eventually sets in. Have been toying with some sort of a forward "cruising" peg on the LHS of the trike to give me option to stretch out on long rides, but like a lot of things its on "get round to it " list. Hope you are soon back on the road Morag
Old 09-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Dave in USA

My wife had the same thing done last September, pain was a bitch but worth it in the long run.

She is pain free & rides her bicycle with ease, its critical you stick with the physio regime they give you.

Oh, and rub Vitamin E into the scar once the stitches are out, reduces the scarring!

Best of luck.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
alreadyinuse

How tall are you? how long are your legs?

cos the shorter you/your legs are the less problem you'll have.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
albs

this makes very interesting reading,as i also need a new knee (me and a kh250 v a hillman hunter in 1976)i am trying to put it off as long as poss.because i,ve heard they dont last that long.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
singletrack

They reckon the new knees last 10-15 years now. Hopefully I will still be young enough to get another replacement in that time and still be very active.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by alreadyinuse View Post

A ha - that might be why i had very few problems - my legs are only short.

The range of movement on my half knee replacement is almost as much as my other ( good knee). I think it depends on the type of replacement the surgeon uses.

A friend of mine had her whole knee done and although she doesn't have as much movement as me, she manages to ride a bicycle with no problems ( you need at least 110 degrees of movement for that), so riding the Monster should be easy.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
davetronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morag View Post
In a great Hospital in London over looking the Thames, it looked such a lovely day today for riding your bikes and I hope all of you did!
This brought back memories - I was in London Bridge Hospital for a while after a major brush with the reaper and spent ages staring out at the Thames and all the 'normal' people wishing I was there!
On a lighter note, a guy I play golf with has had the op and always walks the course. And another guy I work with (on an offshore rig) has had both knees done and still climbs ladders to the top of a 150ft derrick.
He rides an old Harley and a Kawazukiha or something with no problems either. He says he just thinks of his plastic knees as integral sliders. Oh, and he's in his 60's!
Get well soon!!
Dave
Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
Morag

Smile

Hi All
Thanks for all your best wishes and advice. Haven't felt 'with it' enough to sign on for a few days....but should be able to keep up now.
Physio as you say is hell, but straight standing with full weigth going through the joint is fine!!!! So in hospital for another few days, mainly as I want the physio to continue with support of these great people here. It does bring tears to my eyes and it's timed for when the drugs kick-in but as you all say it'll be worth it in the long run.
I had a full replacement following a HTO and ACI two years ago which only partialy worked. I'm 38 and yes I'll need another one (at least one) but the general feeling is I'd rather have a better quality or life now than wait a few more years until I'm older as you never know whats round the corner... Technology means that when I have the next one the life of a joint will probably be extened. Also the insert can be changed every few years when it shows signs of wear - so I have to be careful but the positive side is I'll have a normal painfree active life again...and hey in 10 years if I need another one then so be it. Life is worth living now (Albs go for it!!)

I CAN'T WAIT, feels like I'm getting a new lease of life...
Monster from all your comments should be ok, can't wait to try it. It's in the garage on a padock stand ready for me to sit on it - then slowly try and get the foot on peg - my own for of physio! amazing what small steps will seem like huge achievements....
As I expected beautiful weather has arrived since I've been in, so enjoy the sunshine and have a ride-out for me
Hugs to all for your kindness
Bionic Morag x
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Morag

Quote:
Originally Posted by alreadyinuse View Post

Hi...I'm 5'6" and my legs are pretty long! unless I've shruck since being laid up!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
Morag

Quote:
Originally Posted by albs View Post
this makes very interesting reading,as i also need a new knee (me and a kh250 v a hillman hunter in 1976)i am trying to put it off as long as poss.because i,ve heard they dont last that long.
long is a relative term - 10-15 years of pain free/normal living is a feeling I can't wait to get. you can have it done 2/3 times and the older we get the longer they tend to last - as most of us become more sedate in our older years. I'm particularly young, but the problems I've had already have wasted so many years - now I've got a ticket to a new lease of life and it'll be worth every ounce of pain.
Life too short not too!!!
M