UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Yes it hurts...but I have a new knee!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
Morag

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
I am sure you will be ok with the angle of bend in your knee - as long as you get at least 90 degrees you should be ok on the Monster.
Make sure you rest and take your medication. Keep taking the voltarol!

Titanium knees rock!

See you on the bike on 7th September?
Titanium knees are the best...
Might be the aneasthetic still in my system, but what's on the 7th Septmeber - I've put it in my diary anyway :-)

sadly voltarol doesn't agree with me :-(

Bring on the Monster
Old 11-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morag View Post
Titanium knees are the best...
Might be the aneasthetic still in my system, but what's on the 7th Septmeber - I've put it in my diary anyway :-)

sadly voltarol doesn't agree with me :-(

Bring on the Monster
I am guessing 7th September is roughly 3 months after your op - which means you will probably be able to ride you bike again by then ( possibly earlier if you have a consultant who doesn't think motorbikes are the work of the Devil Incarnate like mine did.)

Voltarol doesn't agree with me either ( or morpheine, or codeine, or diclophenac, or any of the pain killers/anti-inflmmatories that actually work!)
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
Morag

Quote:
I am guessing 7th September is roughly 3 months after your op - which means you will probably be able to ride you bike again by then ( possibly earlier if you have a consultant who doesn't think motorbikes are the work of the Devil Incarnate like mine did.)

Voltarol doesn't agree with me either ( or morpheine, or codeine, or diclophenac, or any of the pain killers/anti-inflmmatories that actually work!)
Now, we'll have to arrange to meet on the 7th now it's in my diary - bionic knee appreciation society gathering!
My surgeon does appreiciate bikes, he doesn't ride but said (before he knew what I rode) that if he did it would be a Ducati Monster - he just laughs now he knows I ride one. He made me promise that if he did the knee, I'd have to ride into Hospital when I've recovered for him to see it...Riding in London is going to be a test and a challenge. Might have to stop at the Ace Cae on the way for a rest!
M
Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #19
Morag

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetronic View Post
This brought back memories - I was in London Bridge Hospital for a while after a major brush with the reaper and spent ages staring out at the Thames and all the 'normal' people wishing I was there!
On a lighter note, a guy I play golf with has had the op and always walks the course. And another guy I work with (on an offshore rig) has had both knees done and still climbs ladders to the top of a 150ft derrick.
He rides an old Harley and a Kawazukiha or something with no problems either. He says he just thinks of his plastic knees as integral sliders. Oh, and he's in his 60's!
Get well soon!!
Dave
Hi Dave
It's a great hospital and view - 5th visit for me and always lucky to get the view! Maybe you were the guy in the room next door!!!
Good to hear your friend plays golf and has had 'the op' I used to play county golf but stopped most sport 3 1/2 years ago. Was thinking about golf again as an easy sport on the old knee..I'll walk the course but think I might use a trolley rather than carry as I used to.
I think I'll convert the golf trolley into a Ducati version - think this might be my recovery project!
Intergral sliders, like the thinking...
What do you ride?

Thanks for the best wishes
M
Old 11-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #20
singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morag View Post
Hi Dave
It's a great hospital and view - 5th visit for me and always lucky to get the view! Maybe you were the guy in the room next door!!!
Good to hear your friend plays golf and has had 'the op' I used to play county golf but stopped most sport 3 1/2 years ago. Was thinking about golf again as an easy sport on the old knee..I'll walk the course but think I might use a trolley rather than carry as I used to.
I think I'll convert the golf trolley into a Ducati version - think this might be my recovery project!
Intergral sliders, like the thinking...
What do you ride?

Thanks for the best wishes
M
Coincidence:
I bought a new set of clubs last week and had a lesson this morning. I am looking forward to playing again, but my swing has changed, and I definitely need a trolley.

Ducati trolley - that sounds like a plan. perhaps we can get GaryT to work on it.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #21
Morag

Quote:
Coincidence:
I bought a new set of clubs last week and had a lesson this morning. I am looking forward to playing again, but my swing has changed, and I definitely need a trolley.

Ducati trolley - that sounds like a plan. perhaps we can get GaryT to work on it.
Shame we're not closer...we could have a game!

Ducati trolley, must be the project of the summer.. GaryT could do a Ducati golf bag trailer for our Monsters - actually with the right tweaks it could be a course buggy and a half!!!!!!

The mind is racing...
Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #22
gremlin

Best of luck with the recovery. Hopefully by the time you need a new knee they will have worked out how to grow your own! They're managing to create quite a few new bits from scratch so you never know. Don't go too silly though, you'll be better for it in the long run, I know you'll be tempted to push it just that little bit more but it's better to get a good healing than rush it and possibly do a bit of damage. Perhaps when you're better the East Anglian brigade could meet up.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #23
Scotty

Quote:

what were you on then ~:? ( we make anti-inflammatories at work like)
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
what were you on then ~:? ( we make anti-inflammatories at work like)
I found putting a piece of wood between my teeth and screaming like a banshee used to help with the pain. Ice compression and elevation helped with the inflamation.

Other than that it was voltarol suppositories and a sick bowl!

None of these things were very effective.

If you can find another treatment that doesn't make people throw up, let me know. I might need it in another few years when the other knee is replaced.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #25
eddie munster

hi, hope all goes well with the bionic leg... i had artery by-pass surgery in my left leg last year and was cut from my groin to my ankle on the inside and then knee to ankle on the outside leg lol...

try your bike as soon as you can take the weight, as the changing up gears exercise made a big improvement to the strength of the muscle and movement . took me about 3 months from the op.

get some R & G crash bungs your bike too as you can rest your legs on them on long journeys and get straightened out... more than one good use