UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » S4RS 2006 Fuel pump leaking

Old 22-08-2024, 12:58 PM   #1
Tipusss

Bike: S4Rs
S4RS 2006 Fuel pump leaking

Hello,

I found a bit of fuel on the quick release connector coming from the fuel pump. It's not leaking heavily, just the plastic bit is covered in fuel and smells like fuel. The fuel does not go down the hose, I think it evaporates before if has the chance to go down any lower.

I took the bike to the official dealer for inspection and they guy said the fuel pump I have has already been fixed and from the looks of it not by any of the dealers. He said if they are to fix it, they would need to replace the whole fuel pump assembly, it's number 3 on this diagram: https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/du...P/77/1200/0/77. Quite expensive to begin with plus the labour costs.

However, he also said I can buy a used one and have it replaced somewhere else, but obviously there would be no warranties to such a replacement. I went to everyone's favourite website, but can only see these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+pump&_sacat=0. It looks like these are the fuel filters and they are all suspiciously cheap and come with long warranties. They all say "fuel pump" though, so I'm confused.

Any advice please? Also, if I was brave enough, how technical a job is it to change the fuel pump? Kinda looks like a bolt off/bolt on job to me, but I was fooled by diagrams before. Shall I leave it to a Ducati mechanic?

Any comments and especially advice would be greatly appreciated!
Tipusss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2024, 01:02 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
IIRC the 848 and 1098 sbk use the same pump unit but you may have to modify the internal hoses slightly to fit inside the monster tank.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2024, 01:16 PM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Having removed/refitted the pump on my 916 pump assembly, it was easy enough and, from what I've read on various forums the cheaper pumps are generally fine.

But you need to know exactly where the leak is as I don't think a faulty pump would cause a leak outside of the tank?

A common leak point on 916 style pump housings are the quick disconnects and the sealing 'O' rings therein.

* The above comments are based on my knowledge of a 916 pump setup which looks to be similar but I'm not sure so I may be talking bollox...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2024, 03:00 PM   #4
900Rebuilder

Exactfit sell new connectors from memory but in metal
Old 22-08-2024, 03:37 PM   #5
Dukedesmo

CPC, Colder Products Company; https://www.cpcworldwide.com/ make them in metal (and plastic) they are used for numerous fluid control applications including medical.

I bought mine from Tom Parkers; https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/ but, as above they were for 916 so maybe different?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2024, 04:27 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
.... I don't think a faulty pump would cause a leak outside of the tank?
Exactly.
In fact I would go further and say that if the official dealer mechanic said he could see evidence of a previous repair then this would almost certainly be to a leak around the oval cover plate to which the pump assembly is attached.
I'm guessing there might be signs of silicone sealant around the joint.
This joint should be sealed with an o-ring (item no 6 on the parts diagram in your link)
I'm somewhat staggered at the price quoted for this though (£41.74 is really taking the p1ss) but its still way cheaper than the £871.64 for the full assembly.

It might be tempting to change the quick connectors first and see if that cures the leak but if there are signs of previous attempts at a "non-std" repair to the cover plate o-ring seal then that is a fairly decent pointer to that being the source of your current leak.
Bear in mind also that the clips holding the quick connectors are a bit fiddly to remove and replace if you're not used to them.

Another option might be to simply open the quick connector and check that their tiny o-rings are intact and in good condition. I would add a smear of vaseline before reconnecting them, which might just cure the problem, though perhaps only in the short term if they are degraded.

You could consider taking the bike to a different place for a second opinion. An independent perhaps, who won't just give you the official Ducati line.
I would suggest either Ray Petty Mechanica or Vanoni Moto Officina.
They may well agree to replace both the o-ring and the connectors.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2024, 05:05 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
These are the connectors used on S4R/RS bikes. They are different to the 916 type and have an additional possible failure. Read the info on this item and then check yours are not as described. You can also check the o rings too while they're off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124811251...mis&media=COPY

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote