UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » 1200 brake fluid..... What to buy?

Old 27-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
Martin Duke

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Been there and done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
You do need to be very careful not to adjust out too much freeplay on the earlier Monsters. Not sure if that would also be the case on the current models?

I carefully removed nearly all the freeplay out of my M900ie brake lever for the very first ride out. I learned the hard way that it needs a good gap, or else the brake slowly binds up and locks the back wheel. Frustrating for me a few miles from home on back lanes, but not so funny for those who had this happen on the Motorway!!

Absolutely agree with this - I made the same mistake on my Cagiva Raptor once, believe me, when the back wheel locks up of its own accord it isn't very funny!

I was lucky and just had to wait for the disc and pads to stop sizzling before they freed up enough to get home and sort it out. What is important and worth getting right is the lever
position, this can make all the difference to the rear brake operation - get it right and the improvement is really noticeable.

Martin
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
When you’ve finished, I’d recommend getting rid of any left over fluid (your local council should have a suitable facility to do this safely) as it’s hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the atmosphere) and water boils at a much lower temperature than DOTx, causing vapour lock. An open bottle of brake fluid in your shed becomes a liability after a few months.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
davkyt

I've still not acquired a rear stand or socket to get the wheel off.... Garage is fully booked for a month....
... Really need the rear brake sorting.... It's not enjoyable at all having only the front brake to rely on... Especially with all the stones on the road at the min... I ended up aborting my ride tonight and going home..