UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newby

Old 15-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #1

Newby

I am looking for a Monster,

I have a Norton Commando that I will keep but I am looking for something less painful to ride as my body has been abused from 20 years of MX Enduro.

I borrowed a 600 (750 engine) Monster and liked the riding position, handling was acceptable, very good brakes but it was too slow!!!

I think I will need a 900, I will probably go for an older biker to try out for 12 months. I will do all maintenance myself.

What are the weak points to look at when buying a 900?

Where can I find the model history?

Mike
Old 15-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #2

My Norton

Commando 750

03May 010b.JPG

Mike
Old 15-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Scotty

in yellow, best eva

MX eh , beware monster have low ground clearance
Old 16-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
kevm

Bought My M900 Few Weeks Ago And After 30 Years With A Bike License And Many Bikes Under My Belt, I Love It. I Find It Comfortable And So Easy To Ride Hard And Safely. Went Out With A Bunch Of Mates At Weekend And Really Suprised Them. All On Mixture Of Bikes Suzi Tl1000/ Yam R1 Etc. As Am A Bit Older, Perhaps I Am Now Not Quite So Brave, But Across Country, They Really Struggled To Keep With Me. Never Been So Impressed With A Bike, So Quickly.
Old 16-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevm View Post
Never Been So Impressed With A Bike, So Quickly.
I Am More Impressed You Have The Willpower And Inclination To Put A Capital Letter At The Beginning Of Every Word!

Seriously I Am.

Welcome To 944 BTW

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
welcome 944. There are loads of helpful people here.

I just provide balance.
Old 16-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
steve wright

M900

Very well behaved bikes in my experience. Clutch slave cylinder seals can weep but rarely let go completely, the symptom is oil weeping from the Dry clutch cover.
Pre 96 ones have bigger inlet/exhaust valves,so a bit more poke but cylinder studs of that era were prone to snapping if not warmed up slowly, particularly in cold weather. Mind you any such bike you buy now will almost certainly have had them replaced. Later (1999 on) fuel injected Sie types reverted to the bigger valves I believe and most S types have a lovely plush Ohlins shock.
Engine wise, flaky paint on cases is about as bad as it gets.
Brakes, running gear, fork seals, bearings,shocks wiring etc all seem fine.
Just go buy a reasonably clean one and change the cam belts (about £35 and 40 minutes of your time) to be safe.
Dumping the concrete lined standard silencers knocks about 12 kgs off the weight but feels like a lot more in terms of handling!
Fitting a 14 tooth front sprocket makes them smoother and more responsive as does open pipes and open airbox (just cut a massive hole in the lid-not rocket science) although this last mod makes them a lot noisier.
Buy all the second hand bling off this site you want, or spareshack for everything monster new.
They are top fun, go get one.
Old 19-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
Spike

Try looking at Zimbo's bike, good price for a well sorted early 900
Old 20-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
jwood26

Welcome

Welcome 944 to a great place to hang out. I personally have had a M600 which I found hard on the left wrist! but kept up at ride outs and loved her to bits. Have now got an S2R1000 and its my M600 and so much more! What a dream to ride, so if its power, looks, bling and head turning machine, this, to me is your bike
Old 21-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Try looking at Zimbo's bike, good price for a well sorted early 900
Does look interesting, but rather than get an 80bhp tuned to ? wouldn't I be better off getting an unmolested 916cc that already has 100 bhp?

Also has 980cc on V5, so would have to have insurance "modification"

Mike
Old 21-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Scotty

well the two valves have a much reduced servicing cost cf the 4 valve ones

maybe to the tune of £100 at a dealer

air cooled are significantly lighter also

get a quote see what they say
Old 21-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #12
Bodybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 View Post
Does look interesting, but rather than get an 80bhp tuned to ? wouldn't I be better off getting an unmolested 916cc that already has 100 bhp?

Also has 980cc on V5, so would have to have insurance "modification"

Mike
I had an S4 (the 916 model) and they're great but no good if you're planning on using it round town. The clutch is too heavy, they overheat, they don't like moving at anything under 4000RPM and they're heavy in slow traffic. But, and its a big but, get it on the open road and it'll annihilate almost anything else out there. Just be aware that for spares etc, the engine is the 916 ST4 Engine and not the 916 Superbike engine (different cam profiles etc) but still phenomenal!!

The other watercooled models are the S4R and the S4Rs. Obviously specs get better as they go up the list. 999 Testastretta engine on these two with Ohlins and Brembo Radial monobloc calipers on the S4Rs.

Hope this helps.
Old 31-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #13

How does the 916cc compare to the 998cc
Old 31-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
From the feedback the extra 82 cc's is more than just a number. The Testastretta engine creates more from the cc's and is a bit more refined from what I've read in past posts. (I don't know because I haven't ridden the older ones). The power increase goes from 117bhp to 130bhp, so an extra 10% for your money.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
IMHO, the testa engines (S4Rs and 2007 S4R) are too much for the road. Around town a 695 is as much as you need.