UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Can't find neutral with engine running

Old 11-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
m600jim

Bike: M600
Can't find neutral with engine running

I have a 1997 M600. It has a new clutch master cylinder and braided hose, new fluid and bled so no bubbles at either end. When the engine is running it seems impossible to find neutral, it jumps between 1st and 2nd. If I turn off the engine it drops into neutral easily from either 1st or 2nd.
Any ideas for some fault finding steps?
Thanks
Jim
m600jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
All of my 750's, essentially the same family of motors, were quite sensitive to chain tension as far as hitting neutral went.
A generality but they can be a pain when at a standstill, if you slip into neutral just before you stop you'll never miss.
So it's more a 'feature' than a fault
Old 11-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Never worked on a wet clutch Monster but on the dry clutch models, difficulty selecting neutral with the engine running can be caused by too thick a clutch 'pack' - basically it is dragging when clutch pulled in so it makes the fine movement required for a half-shift difficult.

Reducing the pack thickness helps, wear does this eventually anyway, selecting neutral whilst still on the move may get round the problem.

However, I don't know if the same applies to a wet clutch and it's obviously not as easy to adjust/play with as a dry clutch...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Ah! yes wet clutch.
Its the engine oil that makes or breaks the clutch on those.
Your oil could be in need of a change? You must use a motorcycle specific oil with a wet clutch or it could end up slipping due to the type of friction reducers used in general oils.
I think JASO is one of the codes you need to look for, but better educated than me will soon post the relevant spec.
I used Castrol power 1 racing 4T with good results on a wet clutch, other oils are available..
Old 12-10-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
m600jim

Thanks all,
It has new oil (Shell Advanced Ultra 10/40) so I'll try the "change into neutral while still rolling" approach....
Cheers
Jim
Old 12-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Zimbo

Bike: Multiple Monsters
As above, get neutral whilst still rolling, or if at a standstill then in 1st just "edge" the bike forwards and try to snick it into neutral with the bike moving slightly?
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
m600jim

Thanks Zimbo, I've tried the usual "rick it back and forwards a bit" which doesn't help and also dropping into neutral while rolling which also doesn't seem to make much difference. However the chain looks like it might be a bit tight so I'll loosen that a bit. I also found that after about 30 mins of riding it all seems fine, no problems engaging neutral at all. But after a 15 min coffee break the problem was back.
Clutch lever actuation point is very quick (I don't have to pull it in very far at all) so probably not a dragging clutch and no air in the clutch lines....
I'll adjust the chain and report back
Old 13-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It sounds like it's a normal issue with the earlier wet clutch bikes, my '97 750SS was the same temperament the 900SS not so much. I found slacking the chain helped and I dialed in my riding style to anticipate at lights and such by shifting before coming to a complete stop.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
motomartin11

Bike: M750
My M750 does this but I can always manage to engage neutral with some careful foot work. I always tend to have my chain on the slack side of the specified tolerance.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
Nickj

Bike: S2r
It kind of goes with the more considered approach to riding you need to adopt to get the most/best out of the motors.
Old 13-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
It kind of goes with the more considered approach to riding you need to adopt to get the most/best out of the motors.
The Italians would call it 'character'. We'd call it character building!

Old 13-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #12
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Yes - if you're used to the convenience of Jap bikes-you almost need another approach.
If you're used to trad Brit bikes (not Hinckley Triumphs) or classic Italian then you have to try to work WITH the bike not against it.
This approach doesn't always work however!
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomartin11 View Post
Yes - if you're used to the convenience of Jap bikes-you almost need another approach.
If you're used to trad Brit bikes (not Hinckley Triumphs) or classic Italian then you have to try to work WITH the bike not against it.
This approach doesn't always work however!
That's pretty much it. The small case motors had very little development since the late 70's Pantah/Cagiva Alazzurra motor on which they are based. The large case motors only really benefited from development on the back of SBK racing so the later injection ones are actually really nice to ride which was probably the intention all along but it was only when the $$$ came rolling in from the 851/888/916 bikes winning races that they really could produce the road bikes that were nearly as good.

Old 20-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
m600jim

Some good news on this. I found that the gear linkage was very loose. Specifically the pinch bolt on the splined gearbox shaft was loose and also the front spherical joint was loose in its arm. Having tightened both of these up the mechanism is now much more precise and I can get neutral pretty easily even when stationary (sometimes requires a slight rocking of the bike) and if I drop into neutral while still rolling it's easy to find.
Will give it a good long ride tomorrow when it's sunny but looking good so far. Hope this helps someone!