UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Monster S4R Back Brake

Old 21-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Perryl

Monster S4R Back Brake

Hi,

After 18,000 miles, the MoT tester suggested that I nay want to change the back brake pads! I hardly used the back brakes except for holding the bike at standstill.

I did it by taking the whole caliper off and putting in mew pads. Put the caliper back on and now I cannot bleed the brakes to save my life. I even bought a vacuum bleeder but that has made no difference.

I suspect that it may be that the master cylinder is not working properly although it was fine before.

I've had the bike from new and the brake has never been touched before.

Anyone else had any back brake issues like this? I thought that I knew what I was doing as I did the front brakes last year in the same way. No problems there.
Old 21-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
you probably need to take the caliper off and turn it upside down so the bleed nipple's at the top whilst you bleed it.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Assuming the pistons aren't stuck or any other issue that could be a fault what you can try is unbolting the caliper and sitting it on top of the disc when you bleed it. I've never had too much issue with my S2R but I remember having to do this on my 916, your just raising the bleed nipple on the caliper to allow any trapped air out. Once it seems to function you just bolt it back into its position as normal.
Old 21-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Exactly what they said - I had the same problem on my s4r, it's a ball ache coz you have to take the exhaust & rear wheel off to invert the rear caliper - you'll be amazed at the difference it makes - every day's a schoolday ��
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Think sideways a little ...

The disk is what 5mm, so get some 6mm thick material or a mil thicker than whatever your rotors thickness is. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it doesn't compress.
Take the caliper off and bleed it with the nipple upwards. Once the airs all gone and it grips your bit of metal, plastic or even wood the brakes been bleed.
Put the caliper back on and give it a pump to take out the extra mil and done.
Usually makes life easier as you don't have to wrestle it round to an odd position on the rotor.
Very odd thing with my S2R is that the back brake works... honest!! It took me by surprise first time I pressed it when rolling as it actually did something... it was almost frightening
Old 25-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
Perryl

Thanks for all the comments.

I found an article about the Multistrada and Ducati's official advice to dealers is to take the caliper off and bleed it with a nipple uppermost. I assumed that this must be the same with the Monster. It worked fine and now the brake is spot on.

By the way: I took off the back wheel anyway to give me better access, but I don't need to mess about with the exhaust. My wheel is really easy to take off (one nut) and nothing else. The ST2 and 3 are much more of a pain with conventional swinging arms.

I did buy a vacuum brake bleeder through Amazon Marketplace. It made no difference if the caliper was bolted to the bike. I didn't think that it was much use and posted a poor review of it. Amazon rejected it! A further investigation revealed that Amazon do not allow bad reviews where it takes the star rating below 4 - I think! I couldn't find anything on Amazon below 4 stars. There was even a laptop bag where more than one person had said the stitching had come apart. But the positive reviews kept the rating above four stars. Hmm... I am getting a little suspicious of Amazon
Old 25-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/...R2Z&ocid=ientp
Old 25-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Perryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Makes sense and why should a billionaire worry about a shmuck like me carping about Amazon reviews? Amazon will take over the World!!!