UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Monster 821 and Esso

Old 23-10-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
Fuzzy

Monster 821 and Esso

Ok so my experience with Esso fuels and the monster 821, panigale 959 and the xDiavel is that they do not want to start on any of essos fuels... when they do eventually wheeze into life they run like bags of ****. Empty the tank put anything else in there.... he’ll **** in the tank if you feel the need to and it’ll start and run like a wet dream.

Long story short if you’re desperate for fuel and Esso is all that’s around by all means.... ride past until she dies then push to the next station.

Fuel they run well on includes Asda, Morrison’s, BP, Tesco

Fuel they run best on is Shell V Power

Fuel they run like a dogs arse suffering from diareaha on includes Texaco and Esso.

Tried and tested over 25,000Miles.

Hope this helps someone out.
Old 23-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Interesting.
I always use Esso Synergy Supreme+ because in my area it doesn't contain ethanol. My bike always starts instantly, even if left for a month or more (famous last words)! Don't know how it would be on their standard grade fuel though.
It does pop a bit on the overrun, but I put that down to the aftermarket cans I fitted.
I have used other fuels (not supermarket though) if I've been caught short on a run and I've had no issues, but I have always topped up with Esso super-unleaded asap.
Old 23-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
BLUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

It doesn't help

It's complete NONSENSE
Old 23-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNT View Post
It doesn't help

It's complete NONSENSE
easy tiger.

No need to come off all aggressive like that. (people might think you are being a twat)

Perhaps you should say why you feel it is nonsense.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:

Not really: are you suggesting that I don't but an 821, 959 or XDiaval, or that I avoid buying petrol near Brizzle?
Old 23-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Blunt by name, blunt by nature...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
Fuzzy

My experience around the Lake District. No other bikes have had a problem with Esso just those 3 models and the issue has been present on 2 821s.

You say it’s nonesense... it’s funny then how filled with Esso fuel none of them wanted to start resulting in calling a mate out with a tool kit, emptying the tanks, pushing over to shell (across the road) filling up and she fired up on the first thumb of the starter as a posed to wheezing into life for 2 seconds then dying and refusing to start again.

Tried the premium stuff from them which didn’t help. I thought perhaps it’s fuel contamination at that station until I filled up on the A1 at Esso (no option) for it to not want to start the following day again. Never had issues with any other brand, queried it with Ducati Italy who said its to do with the ethanol content and the 2012 onwards bikes being set up to run on E10 and that 0 ethanol fuel can cause running problems.
Old 23-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Weird. My 2014 Diavel seems happy enough to run on anything, though V-power is definitely smoothest. BP Ultimate 97 is a close second.
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Flip

V-Power is awful stuff and the work of the Devil.

I can only assume from when I used it for a season on my race bike that the way it rotted through carburettor inlet stubs, other rubbery bits and even destroyed the Caswells' liner stuff in a composite fuel tank that was fitted at the time (since replaced with an Alloy tank) that it is full of Ethanol and other chemicals which cause those things to disintegrate.

To be fair I couldn't notice the bike running any worse or better on Shell but no issues of things falling apart with BP Ultimate fuel.

Quote:
Ducati Italy who said its to do with the ethanol content and the 2012 onwards bikes being set up to run on E10 and that 0 ethanol fuel can cause running problems.
I wonder if Ducati (and Triumph for that matter) have any thoughts on those post 2012 bikes with plastic tanks which have now swollen due to the Ethanol that they 'have been set up to run on'?

Oh yeah wait a minute- they've gone back to metal tanks and left all those owners with plastic ones to fork out instead of giving warranty replacements!

Last edited by Flip; 23-10-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
Dukedesmo

I use super unleaded of whatever variety is available for all my bikes and haven't noticed any difference between brands.

Recently had my car remapped and was advised to use only Shell V-power or Tesco Momentum 99 as everything else is too low octane...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #11
Perryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I use super unleaded of whatever variety is available for all my bikes and haven't noticed any difference between brands.

Recently had my car remapped and was advised to use only Shell V-power or Tesco Momentum 99 as everything else is too low octane...
Glad it is not just me. I do exactly the same and even go to unleaded where station does not sell super. I find any old **** will do! Granted that if you are driving quite hard then super will be best to stop pinking....
Old 27-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Been on Tesco, BP and Esso for years - putt in a tankful of Vmax the other week and Norah was TRANSFORMED - actually ticked over and smoothed out amazingly - will keep an eye on the rubber bits though. 2000 M900ie.
P.S. Yes I did have my hearing aid in!
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post

I wonder if Ducati (and Triumph for that matter) have any thoughts on those post 2012 bikes with plastic tanks which have now swollen due to the Ethanol that they 'have been set up to run on'?

Oh yeah wait a minute- they've gone back to metal tanks and left all those owners with plastic ones to fork out instead of giving warranty replacements!
MV had this issue too, they replaced min within 2 weeks and I believe they have fixed the issue (MV) as 3 years later and my tanks is still fine and no reports that I have heard of as of late.

I believe it was Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia, MV and possibly KTM that were affected.
Old 28-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
Char
We're all mad here

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I have taken to using Lucas Oil Safe Guard Ethanol Treatment if my MV is going to be laid up for a week or two

It deffo runs better with the expensive fuels but I'm not precious about it
Old 28-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
I have taken to using Lucas Oil Safe Guard Ethanol Treatment if my MV is going to be laid up for a week or two

It deffo runs better with the expensive fuels but I'm not precious about it
Good to know, I'll be getting something in.