UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » S2R 1000 Black or Silver

Old 08-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
S2R 1000 Black or Silver

Hi,

Anyone knows of S2R 1000 for sale, ideally black or silver?

Lower miles is better but I am not bothered if it has 13-15k miles as long as it was serviced and looked after.

Let me know if any of you know of one.

Cheers

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

There's a couple on ebay but only the usual boring red

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...Loc=2&LH_All=1

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #3
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Yea seen them

"I am Lucazade"
Old 08-05-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
As tank resprays are £250ish; the current colour of a tank compared to the availability & condition of bikes wouldn't seem that important. New paint would be a plus on an older bike!
Old 08-05-2022, 05:47 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I've not seen many silver or black S2R 1000 actually, I think they might be quite a rare colour. There's a couple of nice black S4R and a silver S4R 07 for similar money on ebay though, obviously a few more miles but does not really matter with those and I do know that the silver S4R 07 only about 52 were UK registered which makes them rarer than the S4RS, if your after a rare S model? You'll certainly not lose money on either. Happy hunting.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #6
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Re-painting is an option if I get red one with black frame. Otherwise also frame and rims need painting.

I would like to get S4RS but this one has to come first as need it to also be a commuter.
Sadly another issue is garage so till I sort that out not getting S4RS.

But RS is on cards later.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 08-05-2022, 08:01 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Re-painting is an option but will almost always cost you a big chunk of cash more than you can't get back and body parts like tank are also mega bucks for that model so it's probably better to get one that you won't need to re-paint and original paint is always worth more. The S4RS is just an S4R 07 with Ohilins so is it worth paying 4-6K over what they are fetching for just the same base bike for 2K of suspension upgrades and 500 quid of carbon? I think not.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Re-painting is an option but will almost always cost you a big chunk of cash more than you can't get back and body parts like tank are also mega bucks for that model so it's probably better to get one that you won't need to re-paint and original paint is always worth more. The S4RS is just an S4R 07 with Ohilins so is it worth paying 4-6K over what they are fetching for just the same base bike for 2K of suspension upgrades and 500 quid of carbon? I think not.
Well for me S4RS would be to enjoy and keep stock for value but I like the Grey S4R colour.

Saying this S2R is wanted due to low running costs as I can mod it, use it as commuter and weekend blat. Its very basic not many things to go wrong.

Separate Question, which one you would go for?

Option 1:
- 5690GBP for 2008 Model with Termi End Can (Has ECU to match), has tail chop so would need to reverse that. 12.9k miles and they will do Desmo service before shipping.
No room for discount, maybe can get free delivery.

Option 2:
- 5499 for 2006 Model with Termi End can (looks like stock ECU but can get one), no tail chop and 9.1k miles. Desmo service Done Jan this year plus new battery fitted same time.
Looks like maybe can get 200 off, maybe

Option 3:
- 4699 for 2006 model with BOS End Can (so no termi ECU but I can get one), has no tail chop but also no front cowl, no passenger pegs and no Desmo service. This one I would be looking to get for 4k.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 09-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #9
Jam911

I would go for the most expensive one I could afford... Option 1

Last edited by Jam911; 09-05-2022 at 02:45 PM..
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:18 PM   #10
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam911 View Post
I would go for the most expensive one I could afford... Option 1
But it has higher mileage lol

Reached out to both options

"I am Lucazade"
Old 09-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #11
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Exactly. Option two seems the best buy assuming all the bikes are in similar condition apart from the points you mentioned.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Buy the newest Ducati you can afford, that was the wisdom imparted to me and it stands, not sure if they updated much from '06 to '08 but maybe they did the ECU update on the S2R? The earlier ones were a bit mad and did tend to break a lot (immob.clock/ecu failure). Sound familiar?

Old 09-05-2022, 08:25 PM   #13
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
From what I can see it’s the 2006 that is tail chopped, 2008 is not.

I’d go for the 2008 mostly due to the intact tail. Chop is not something I like, less weather protection from tyre spray when riding in rain and reversing a tail chop is a hassle and expense and even so frame will never be truly original again….

I see the 2008 also has black wheels. Maybe less cool looking than the (clean) white wheels on the 2006, but a lot more practical if you ride more than you clean/polish…

Some other things to consider:

- I think I recall Ducati changed service intervals to bigger gaps/more mileage after 2006 model year, so in theory there is less regular therefore cheaper servicing costs for later models (tho’ I do not think any actual differences to the S2R 1000 bikes themselves so presumably you could adopt same schedule for 2006 bike if you wished at no greater risk than for later bikes)
- these days termis can apparently run fine (or better) on original chip. I had both original chip and the performance one I got with the termis kit. For a long time I ran it with the termi chip. But apparently these days original chips can be made to work fine or better, so no need for termi specific chip. Alec at Ducati Proteam swapped me back to original one as part of work to sort a rough running issue in the end and it runs better than it ever did. It apparently also means immobiliser works (it’s disabled when using the termi one).
- Termis full kit should have the open air box (essentially the air box lid with top part cut off) and different cleanable/reusable/oiled filter too as they are all part of the kit the chip and termis come with).
- To complete things I see there is a spark cat eliminator pipe on ebay for S2R 1000 going for about £250 . It might be worth fitting that too for cleaner look getting rid of udder/maybe better running too (I have this fitted on mine - got it years back following advice here, stainless steel unlike the DP de cat pipe of the time)
- if you’ll be riding in London low emission zone at any point, all model years are compliant. But the crude and incompetent way TFL administer this means later bikes will be waved through no problem on basis of year of first registration. BUT on other hand you may find it is quite a hassle to convince useless TFL that the 2006 model is compliant even though 2006 model is exactly the same standard as later bikes and it is clearly stated on V5 that it is the right Euro standard… I had a long frustrating saga with TFL for my 2006 S2R 1000 before they finally sorted it.

Hope that helps and sure you’ll enjoy the bike if you get it. They are quite rare and a lot of fun but still with the original monster air cooled simplicity and purity of looks etc. That said if it’s slow speed town commuting you’ll be doing, then S2R800 may be worth a thought. They are cheaper and more common and with wet clutch and lighter lever maybe better in heavily built up areas. I commuted in London on m S2R 1000 a fair bit, but more often took my M600 as was pre battered from a crash, lighter, lower and more manageable for endless 1st or 2nd gear filtering (despite also having pretty heavy dry clutch).
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:31 PM   #14
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Thx Yellow fever. FYI I had 6 old style mobsters before I got 1200r that I had to sell. I know details of the bike, problem is there is not much choice of S2R 1000s so wanted help which one to check.

FYI there is 0 differneces between 2006 and 2007 or 2008 bike. Longer service intervals can be applied to those models as well.
Long ago around 2008 there was a thread here where member pushed ducati to spill the beans as they had December registered 695 2007y and that was 6k mile. Jan registered bike produced before his December one had 7500 miles

"I am Lucazade"
Old 10-05-2022, 04:34 AM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Option 3 is an 800?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165341627...sAAOSwqANiD-Nw