UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newboy here, from Reading.

Old 16-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Newboy here, from Reading.

Hi, I'm new here, new to Ducatis and new to Monsters. I've been a lifelong biker, now 64 and retired. But not new to Italian machinery. My other bikes are a long owned Laverda Jota 120 (since 84)

and a just completed nut and bolt rebuild and Electric start conversion to an XR400R Honda.

Im now looking for my next ground up rebuild and after having a good read of Ian Falloons book and having always had a hankering for the Monster, I started looking for a suitable early M900 before 98.
I was particularly taken by Tony Lloyds (Buzzer) rebuild and by complete co-incidence I ve ended up with a black 95 ( registered jan 96) M900 from Nick Brown in Nairn near Inverness. It arrives next Saturday.

I havent made up my mind yet whether I will meticulously return it to original or allow sympathetic revisions. (Nick is very keen I keep it Black)I had an experienced motorcycling friend give it the once over and had long very helpful chats with Nick and I think most of the important stuff is there and whats missing is still obtainable. Its a project, and it will come apart to the last nut and bolt, it will no doubt cost me overall, but it will get ridden when finished (I do about 5k miles a year on the Jota)

So expect plenty of inane questions

And I'll start with this to see who got this far
Is this the right Factory manual or is there something better?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mo....m46890.l49286
PPuxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
welcome aboard
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
crust
rattles when he walks

Hi fellow Reading Monster owner.

Welcome to the club, keep us posted on progress.

There's a wealth of knowledge on here, question away.
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Welcome-I bought Nick's M750 last Autumn via this site and have been very pleased with it.Good luck with the 900 project.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 04:20 AM   #5
Moco1961

Welcome aboard PP, looking forward to your build thread
Old 17-04-2021, 06:15 AM   #6
Darkness

Welcome on board!

Regarding the manual, depends whether you want the paper copy. I got a CD digital copy for far less money. What I can’t do without are the parts fische that Stein Dinse publish on line:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Parts availability for the early Monsters is still pretty good through Ducati dealers, though some of the specific early parts have been discontinued. It depends how “original” you want it, and whether the Elefants and Date Stamps on parts matter.

If you use MotoRapido in Winchester, don’t forget to ask for the 10% UKMOC club discount. They also do mail order and are a fount of knowledge. As is @Albie on here.
Old 17-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #7
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Welcome on board!

Regarding the manual, depends whether you want the paper copy. I got a CD digital copy for far less money. What I can’t do without are the parts fische that Stein Dinse publish on line:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Parts availability for the early Monsters is still pretty good through Ducati dealers, though some of the specific early parts have been discontinued. It depends how “original” you want it, and whether the Elefants and Date Stamps on parts matter.

If you use MotoRapido in Winchester, don’t forget to ask for the 10% UKMOC club discount. They also do mail order and are a fount of knowledge. As is @Albie on here.
Thanks for the reply, Darkness. I'm fine with digital and someone has offered me a pdf file, so that should be sorted. I discovered the Stein-dinse fiches after Buzzer put me onto them. Although I can't quite reconcile their part numbering with what I see on the cans for this model, which I will need.
I'll need a bit more time to understand the whole elephant, cagiva stamp thing.
And I have already had a couple of chats with the very very helpful Craig at Moto Rapido, so looks like I'm on the right track. But I didn't know about the 10% discount
Looking forward to the build and being an active member here
Old 17-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #8
PPuxley

Grappling with the ways of this Forum. Ive recd a PM and I think Ive replied to it, yet I dont see anything in my sent box....am I missing something?
I'm either going to be thought of as rude for not replying or a stalker for having done so three times
Old 17-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I think Nasher still has some DP Remus exhausts for sale which should fit your model. Look in the for sale section on here.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #10
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I think Nasher still has some DP Remus exhausts for sale which should fit your model. Look in the for sale section on here.
Its got Silmotor carbon cans, but I need a pair of original ZDM-A21/ZDM-B21 , I think the numbering is, although my research is coming up with conflicting numbers....steep learning curve!
Old 17-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Most standard ones will fit from 600/750 and 900 and they probably all have different part numbers. The really early ones didn't have a chamfer and those are the ones sought after for the really early '93-94 bikes but the others should be readily available not much $$ I'm not sure that the ZDM is a Ducati part number but maybe some sort of type approval code?

Old 17-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #12
PPuxley

Quote:
Most standard ones will fit from 600/750 and 900 and they probably all have different part numbers. The really early ones didn't have a chamfer and those are the ones sought after for the really early '93-94 bikes but the others should be readily available not much $$ I'm not sure that the ZDM is a Ducati part number but maybe some sort of type approval code?
Ive already found out about the "Hens Teeth" early ones and I know about the chamfer. ZDM-A21 is something I have seen stamped on them looking on ebay
The long part number seems to vary, although the can looks just the same, I guess thats what youre talking about it being shared between models
Ive seen 573.1.050.2E or 574.1.050.2B

Last edited by PPuxley; 17-04-2021 at 08:24 AM..
Old 17-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The ones from the injection bikes were slightly longer but still fit IIRC. I've a feeling that Gazza had several sets up for sale a while back.

Old 17-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #14
PPuxley

Quote:
The ones from the injection bikes were slightly longer but still fit IIRC. I've a feeling that Gazza had several sets up for sale a while back.
Do you know which Gazza? theres quite a few. I was going to PM him
Old 17-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #15
dacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPuxley View Post
Grappling with the ways of this Forum. Ive recd a PM and I think Ive replied to it, yet I dont see anything in my sent box....am I missing something?
I'm either going to be thought of as rude for not replying or a stalker for having done so three times
Welcome to the forum - took me a while to realise that I had to go to the list of options at the bottom of the screen and select the option to keep a copy in my Sent folder, before clicking Send. Your pm probably went thrice, you're welcome to join me in the stalkers' corner