UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Electrical connectors

Old 26-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Electrical connectors

I am considering changing the standard indicators on my 1100 Evo for some nice Oberon ones. Where can I get some connectors that I can put on the new indicator wires which will be a straight fit into the female connectors on the standard wiring? I don't really want to change the OEM wiring set-up.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Luddite

I don't think the Oberon indicators come with any connectors at all; just bare wire ends.

As they're LEDs you'll need to wire in some resistors to ensure that they flash at the correct rate. Although Oberon sell the resistors, they have no wiring attached, which doesn't help you much.

I would recommend Desmoworld resistors, which come with Ducati connectors at one end and bullet connectors for the indicators at the other. All you then need to do is fit some male bullet connectors to the Oberon indicators and you're good to go.

Have a look at this thread, post #7, for more details and a link to the Desmoworld indicators:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55490

Last edited by Luddite; 26-11-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Another option might be to fit the led indicators fitted as std to, for example, Panigales.
I'm more familiar with the older monsters but I believe the Panigale led indicators are basically the same as your existing bulb ones, but smaller.
This should mean that they fit in exactly the same way as your existing ones, avoiding any need to fiddle about.
Also the existing lines of the bike will not be disturbed (though you may or may not prefer that).
You would still need the resistors though, I think.
Either that or swap the flasher unit for one that is led compatible (or has an adjustable flash rate).

Buzzbomb knows more about the std led swap as he has done it, I believe.
I'm sure he'd respond to a pm.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Ron1000

Ive been avoiding changing my indicators for similar reasons. I’m a stickler for being able to go back to stock wiring.

Best i can see is ducati themselves, evotech, lightec do an led indicator and resistor kit that plugs together to the stock connectors.

Trouble is they do get quite expensive. The ducati ones come in around £110 per pair.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

I fitted Oberon indicators to my 2004 S4R and, although I bought the resistors, I found the indicators worked perfectly without them. So I was going to try the indicators as a straight swap & buy resistors afterwards only if they were needed.
Old 26-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I don't think the Oberon indicators come with any connectors at all; just bare wire ends.

As they're LEDs you'll need to wire in some resistors to ensure that they flash at the correct rate. Although Oberon sell the resistors, they have no wiring attached, which doesn't help you much.

I would recommend Desmoworld resistors, which come with Ducati connectors at one end and bullet connectors for the indicators at the other. All you then need to do is fit some male bullet connectors to the Oberon indicators and you're good to go.

Have a look at this thread, post #7, for more details and a link to the Desmoworld indicators:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55490
Thanks for that info., very useful. Despite my ancestry, my German is non-existent so I need to check carefully before ordering!
Old 26-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
I fitted Oberon indicators to my 2004 S4R and, although I bought the resistors, I found the indicators worked perfectly without them. So I was going to try the indicators as a straight swap & buy resistors afterwards only if they were needed.
If you want to first try the indicators without resistors, you'll need these connectors:

http://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/9500004...-BLK-INDI-CONN

Just leave enough length on the indicator wires to enable you to cut them off and fit bullet connectors if needs be.
Old 26-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Thank you, very helpful. I assume these match the connectors on the standard indicators so they are just plug-and-play? (it's been a while since I last had the indicators off when I fitted the tail tidy)
Old 26-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
Luddite

One other thing, there's no actual flasher unit on the Evo, the indicators are controlled by the ECU.

With the Ducati Performance LED indicators, note that they only flash at the correct rate when the engine is running. If the engine is off, they flash at double speed. Bear that in mind when you test your own set up.

I only found that out, much to my embarrassment, when I rang Moto Rapido to tell them the indicators weren't working properly. "Have you tried them with the engine running?", they said. D'oh!

Let us know how you get on.
Old 26-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #10
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Come on BRD you know Chris and if you email him he'll sort you out, I use desmoworld resistors when changing to LED indicators and as Jeff stated the indicators from the panigale are perfect as they are of similar size and shape but a lot smaller.
Best of luck
Geoff.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
Luddite

Quote:
Thank you, very helpful. I assume these match the connectors on the standard indicators so they are just plug-and-play? (it's been a while since I last had the indicators off when I fitted the tail tidy)
Yep. These are the standard Ducati indicator connectors and will plug straight in. You only actually need the female plug but I'm not sure you can buy that on its own.

The Desmoworld resistors come with these connectors already fitted.

Edit: I just remembered, Desmoworld set up a new website recently so those earlier links I posted are out of date. These are the new links:

Indicators (Ducati Performance look-alikes):
https://www.desmoworld.com/blinker-6936-81?c=496

Resistors:
https://www.desmoworld.com/desmoworl...wider-39?c=496

Last edited by Luddite; 26-11-2017 at 10:55 PM..
Old 27-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #12
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
Come on BRD you know Chris and if you email him he'll sort you out, I use desmoworld resistors when changing to LED indicators and as Jeff stated the indicators from the panigale are perfect as they are of similar size and shape but a lot smaller.
Best of luck
Geoff.
Thanks Geoff, I have only just started looking so trying to work out exactly what I want. Head's a shed at the moment!
I will email Christian if you think that is the best thing to do.
Old 27-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #13
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Yep. These are the standard Ducati indicator connectors and will plug straight in. You only actually need the female plug but I'm not sure you can buy that on its own.

The Desmoworld resistors come with these connectors already fitted.

Edit: I just remembered, Desmoworld set up a new website recently so those earlier links I posted are out of date. These are the new links:

Indicators (Ducati Performance look-alikes):
https://www.desmoworld.com/blinker-6936-81?c=496

Resistors:
https://www.desmoworld.com/desmoworl...wider-39?c=496
Thanks again for the links. The indicator page mentions with or without adaptors. Do I need these or not?
Old 27-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #14
Luddite

Quote:
Thanks again for the links. The indicator page mentions with or without adaptors. Do I need these or not?
"With"

The adapters are the small plastic baseplates that you can see in the pictures. The Ducati Performance ones also come with these.

Old 27-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
Luddite

Of course, if you want to be really flash, Desmoworld also do them in anodised aluminium...

...at a price, natürlich!