UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Returning member

Old 30-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
mattoldskool

Talking Returning member

Hi everyone.

I joined this forum last year after buying a great little 620, well I got it just how I wanted it then sold it (daft I know) & since then I've had a 954 fireblade & gsxr600, vfr750 & did some greenlaning with the trf over the winter. However I really missed my 620 so much so I've bought another ��. Picked up I nice yellow 620 last week which is in great condition apart from the engine missing all its paint so I'm probably going just enjoy it this summer & then drop the engine over the winter to strip & paint the engine, & may aswell do valve checks while it's out.
It's pretty standard apart from having MIVV cans, the only thing I was going to & have actually ordered from monstertailchop in the states is the chop kit (same as I bought for my last one & was really impressed with the quality) however I'm now having second thoughts on chopping it, I love the look but I'm wondering if poeple are liking the the tail chops less & less nowadays?
Hopefully get out on it later today ��
Thankyou all

Last edited by mattoldskool; 30-04-2017 at 08:12 AM..
Old 30-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Hi Matt and welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoldskool View Post
....... I'm now having second thoughts on chopping it, I love the look but I'm wondering if poeple are liking the the tail chops less & less nowadays?
Whether to chop the tail is likely to bring out some strongly held, but opposite views.

In summary, some like it and see it as a mission to persuade others to conform by showing their "individuality", whereas others think it spoils the profile of the bike from what was originally created.

What is certain is that if you chop it, you'll get a lot of dirty water up your back if you ride on wet roads (And avoid cow pats for an extra reason), but the significance of that depends when and where you ride.

Personally I wouldn't chop it, but you should make your bike as you want it.

I would recommend that you keep all of the bits though, including the cut off part of the frame, in case you or a future owner ever want to un-chop it.
Old 30-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
mattoldskool

I am leaning towards not chopping it this time, although I'm good enough at welding that I could unchop it if I needed too but that's extra work I could do without. I think I may just put the chop kit aside when it gets here for now atleast.
Cheers
Matt
Old 30-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
As already said, that question will get divided views as it polarizes opinions completely with some saying the chop is how the bike was originally designed (which if you look at the first sketches is actually the case) and the 'tail' having been added to comply with various legislation where the bike was to be sold.

If it was an early bike I would be saying keep it un-chopped but without sounding rude the 620 is not an especially rare or landmark model so I'd say do what Ducati intended to be done with the entire Monster range and make it your own as the blank canvass it was originally sold as.
Old 30-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
I would concentrate on making the bike look how you like it best. Thats what makes you happy.
Old 30-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The DP style carbon tail tidy is a big improvement over the black plastic one, no chopping required.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
mattoldskool

Hmm many I will chop it then. As you say it's nothing particularly special being a 620. I will say that I had no trouble selling my last one & id chopped that so there must be plenty that prefer them chopped.
Thanks
Old 30-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Exactly what flip says

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote: