UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » BIKE magazine owns a Monster

Old 28-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
Langy

BIKE magazine owns a Monster

Hello everyone,

My name is Paul Lang and I am the current Art Director of BIKE magazine, Britain's biggest selling motorcycling monthly.

The magazine is doing so well at the moment and sales are on the up. One of our most popular sections is Bike Bikes. It is where we run the long term bikes from manufacturers BUT also our own bikes that we have spent our pennies on.

You will be glad to hear that I have just purchased a 1993 Ducati Monster M900 and it will be appearing on the pages of BIKE magazine.

I would love to hear from members of what I should do with the bike, any tips you have on maintaining it and generally get in touch for a chat.

Last year I ran a 899 Panigale which was a privilege and such a joy (don't hate me please), I should of bought it at the end but didn't have the funds. My dream bike to own is a 1994 916SP but the prices of those seem to be getting very very silly right now.

So why the Monster? I love Ducati, I have always had a soft spot for Monsters. Even more after we've recently rode and interviewed Miguel Galluzzi but also I rode one back in 94 when I worked for MCN.

I have only had it three weeks, still haven't ridden it because of the salt on the roads (they gritted round here 2 nights ago!!!) but can't wait for Spring.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from fellow Monster fans soon

All the best

Langy
Old 28-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
What should you do with it ?? Ride it
You aren't going for a show or concours bike(?) so just put on things you like, its your blank canvas Paul.

Oh BTW bought the first edition of Bike which was a few years ago and been mostly buying it since.
Old 28-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Langy,

Post some pictures.

What plans do you have, keep it standard or pimp it up a bit?

Monsters are always good for a little bit of personalisation.

Yorkie
Old 28-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
yellowjonboy

wow yeah like they say blank canvas whats the plans any pictures
Old 28-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Langy

At the moment it's standard apart from a few painted bits, different rear sprocket and grips. I'm going to keep it standard, it's too nice to play with. To me its a classic.

It's all about riding it for me, it's a bike to enjoy.

Soon as I have ridden it then I'll see about changing the tyres, suspension. And maybe a few teeth off the front sprocket.

Keep checking out BIKE
Old 28-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
Langy

Thanks for buying the magazine, I hope you are enjoying it.
A lot of time and effort goes into every issue
Old 28-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I still have a copy of BIKE from about 1975.
It has a T160 and a Commando on the cover in front of Stonehenge..Would love either of those bikes.

It also features a 1975 Moto Morini three and a half Sport...Had one of those identical to the test bike....What a humdinger that was.

The 750GT also gets a mention somewhere if I recall. Hailed as the modern equvilent of the mighty Vincent Black Shadow........Classic issue...

The '93 is a classic, it is the first year of the model, as you no doubt already know.

I might be a bit anoraky, but I love to see the '93 models in nice standard trim, with as many original bits as possible.

I particulaly like to see the rear suspension hoop in yellow. It is a direct genetic link to it's 851 ancestor...The Monster did improve by increments over a long model run and plenty have been modded to good effect over the years too. But it's still nice to see the original in all it's simple glory as it first came to us.

Good to hear that BIKE is still going....I gave up buying contempory bike mags at about the time a 1300 came out with a square headlamp..!! I just thought that was enough, and stuck with stuff at least 20 years old.

Ironic that the best thing to come along since is now over 20 years old...
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
Langy

The editor has a Moto Morini 3 1/2, he has had it years and even does track days on it.

My monster does have the yellow stays. I'll get pics soon.

Have a flick through BIKE, you may return
Old 28-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

If the staff run around on Morinis and Monsters It might be my kind of read....If Frank Westworth writes in it I would be coverted..

Welcome to the club by the way...Good to have you on board..
Old 28-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
Langy

Sadly Frank isn't on board but we have some great writers including James May ever now and then.

We have a lot of bizarre bikes in our garages.

Best
Old 28-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

What was the name of that Top Gear motorcycle correspondent years ago?

I spotted Frank in the background of the Top Gear shots several time when he was on....Was it Steve Berry?....Very pro Ducati sort of chap.
Old 28-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #12
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi Langy

Early Monsters are still the best but I may be biased, mine was built April / May 93, registered early August

If yours is a nice clean example then use it, enjoy it but perhaps don't do anything too drastic to it, the early ones are getting rare now in original condition

Ped
Old 28-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Hi and welcome

Do whatever you like to it. Just make sure you tail chop it so it's looks like it's been finished and is ready for the road

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
Langy

I will keep it standard Ped, I even took off the open clutch cover when I got it home.
Although looking at your pic I believe the footrest hangers have been painted to match the frame, I also thought they were silver but you never know how they were coming out of the factory. A Ducati employee probably could'n't be bothered to go and get silver paint and carried on.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Flip

Bike: M900
I'm with Mr Gazza and Ped with regards to the very early bikes although I think a few subtle mods to enhance your riding and improve the bike are the way to go.

So if it were mine I would look at having the fork internals sorted so they actually work without feeling notchy and skippy- Maxton do a cartridge conversion for this.

Replace the rear shock with something like a Nitron if it's anywhere close to the original as it will be knackered.

While we're on the rear suspension and keeping the yellow hoop!! I would raise it up with a pair of spacers from Louigi Moto to stop the horrible sensation of understeer at low speeds.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOUIGI-MOT...item2336a79095

Then go up two or three teeth on the rear sprocket (the standard is 39) which will make life a lot easier in traffic and give the chain an easier time without it running close to the swing arm guides.

Having the motor breath and fuel a bit better with a stage two dynojet kit and some open pipes (ideally with down pipes to get ride of the restrictive 'X' piece collector will also release a dollop of midrange torque and allow everyone to hear that lovely Italian twin as it was designed to be.

Oh! And no matter how many drinks, bribes or offers of debauchery you get DO NOT chop the tail!!!