UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Monster photo's

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote: I just can't understand Ducati stipulating 7,500 mile oil change intervals......

No nor me but they have simply extended the service intervals as people these days just wouldn't be prepared to accept the cost of Ducati ownership otherwise.

You only have to go back a few years into the 2v motors' history (and apart from fuel injection and a few other tweeks to comply with various emission laws etc. there's not much difference) to find that the service intervals were 1860 miles (3000Km) and as well as oil (and filter every other service) that included a belt tension and valve check/adjustment!!!

The clearances they spec'd were (are?): opening clearances were set at 0.10mm (4 thou), closers though were at a much more challenging Nil to 0.02mm (that's nothing to .07 thou).

So the combination of (very) close clearances and (VERY) regular maintenance lead to machines that ran really sweet down at low revs (take note those people who think they ALL run lumpy low down 'coz that's how they are!!) but also made them ridiculously expensive to maintain (remember just how exclusive Ducati's used to be?).

So basically, it's all down to marketing and when other manufacturers are offering bikes with long service intervals all Ducati really did was stretch the specs to their maximum which is fine(ish) for your wallets but not really as good as the motors could be if you go back to the original clearances.