UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » DIY Belt Change

Old 06-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #31
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac3r View Post
Just thinking if I decide to do the shock myself too then it would be good if it covered that
The upper and lower shock bolts on the S2R are the same torque as my Evo at 42Nm so the 60 wrench would be fine.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:32 AM   #32
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I was recommended one of these, among some others more expensive options, but this was the best value wrench that I found: -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-3-...72.m2749.l2649

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #33
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
You may be confused by the link posted by Darren as it shows four small locking pins (OEM 88713.2009) rather than the two larger ones described by slob at #2 (OEM 88713.2282).

As you've got the 800 motor, Darren's pins are the ones for your model; the larger pins are for the S2R 1000 and later models.

In case you're wondering where the pins go, they are shown in this service manual extract.

As has been mentioned previously, the pins aren't essential - if you do without them, just make sure you mark up the cam pulleys clearly and rotate the vertical cylinder to TDC power when checking that belt's tension.

Utopia, you're correct in assuming that the belt frequency should be checked at specific points. Those "plucking points" are also shown on this page.
Thanks, I'm glad to have confused things by clarifying the error! If you want to use drills or knitting needles or whatever you have to hand that's fine if it works for you. What if you want to pull the head off and keep the cams locked? For a couple of quid those factory style tools are suprisingly for a change pretty good value imho. You can make do, but the proper tools make the job much easier and have more uses than just a belt change.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #34
rac3r

Whilst I wait for all the bits to arrive I thought I'd take the covers off and have a nosy. Some of the adjuster bolts look okay but I want to change them to be on the safe side. Can someone send me in the right direction for some good replacements please?

Also I got all the marks to line up (after a few goes), is the mark on the left side of the engine supposed to line up too?
Old 09-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #35
slob

on the left is ignition timing marks, ignore them.
all three pulley dots should line up with the relevant marks.

Last edited by slob; 09-05-2020 at 07:11 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #36
rac3r

Ah okay. A UKMOC workshop manual would be far more useful than the Ducati one!
Old 09-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #37
slob

the ducati manual is a pretty complete reference, although you do come across the odd error. you should read and properly digest the whole of the sections that relate to your task before you start.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #38
rac3r

Can anyone recommend some good replacements for the tensioner screws? Ti or stainless, basically not OE cheese. Part I'm referring to is 77210103A
Old 12-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #39
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I wouldn't say the Ducati ones were cheese, in fact they would be a much better replacement than S/S. That said, I found a chewed one after a Ducati mechanic had done a belt change! I replaced it with an old disc bolt.

Just to note that it is important to use the correct torque on those as they thread into a Heli-coil type insert from new so if you rip that it's not so straightforward to just Heli-coil it again I believe you have to use an oversize Wurth insert.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #40
rac3r

I plan to do the belt change later this week and some of them look a bit chewed already. Ducati ones are £6 each I think!

I got my torque wrench today so I'll be sure do them up properly.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #41
rac3r

Does anyone know what the full size is? Manual just says M8x1.25
Old 12-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #42
slob

My inclination would be to go with stock Ducati bolts,
if you don't make sure what you do get has the same size flange as the originals, so they grip the tensioner adequately and also double check the height of the heads, they have quite a low profile.
They are easy to chew up of you don't get the allen socket square on to them.
Old 13-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #43
rac3r

Ordered the OEM ones for a nice £30, not in stock so won't get them until next week. There's my weekend fun gone
Old 21-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #44
rac3r

Belts are on but tensioning them is driving me mad! I've tried both the allen key method and the app (one that Proteam recommended) and both give different results. If I go by 99hz which exactfit recommend then they seem too loose on the Allen key test and the opposite the other way around.

I'm setting the tension with all the marks lined up and the locking pins in place (as mentioned in the manual)
Old 21-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #45
rac3r

So the best I've managed is:
Horizontal - 110hz, 5mm allen key max
Vertical - 100hz, no allen key fits!?

As before both were done with the timing marks all lined up and the locking pins in place as per Ducati manual