UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Ooops not a good start to Saturday

Old 03-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Moco1961

Ooops not a good start to Saturday

So fuelled with nostalgia from the Weekender I had resolved that this mornings task was to swap fuel tanks on the S2r from the ethanol ravaged original to the not so immaculate ( but not swollen or displaying a rash ) replacement .

My logic being that the bubbles would eventually morph into pin holes and the thought of unleaded dripping on a hot engine between my legs doesn’t really appeal !

All started well, fuel pump removed,breathers removed and I noted “ furring” in the breather connectors.However the original tank breather connectors were in way better nick than the replacement tank ones so a swap over was obvious . Originals removed and which soon cleaned with a length of wire.

Now all I needed to do was remove the replacement tank breather connectors…..ouch……sheared clean off flush with the tank!
Ideas please !!
My thoughts are to soak area in a release agent and use one of those reverse thread drill bit thingys but all advice welcome.

The good news is the original tank has only a handful of tiny bubbles underneath so that’s now back on and I will use “as is” until the replacement is sorted and long term I bite the bullet and get an alloy one…..what a faff

Bugger !!!

BFA2A7A1-159A-4BC5-8430-F731FC5963CC by Mike OConnor, on Flickr

Breather blocked…..and sheared !

9F896C52-B9AB-49D1-AA56-6E438736CF7B by Mike OConnor, on Flickr

Only a few bubbles…..low risk

3EAE6603-DF74-408F-A14B-A8CC32FDD4CF by Mike OConnor, on Flickr
Old 03-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
like you say ez-out or similar extractor bit should work fine mike.
i found the same blockage on my plastic tanks, I ran a small drill bit down them to open them up a bit and they stayed clear
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
Moco1961

Hi Rob, I did consider drilling in situ but thought some of the crusty gunge would end up in the breather that is incorporated within the tank….. every day a school day
Old 03-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
slob

mine came out ok, i drilled them in a vice.
i reckon the risk of fuel on on hot engine is much higher with no breather hoses than it is with bubbling paint
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I've just bought a spare tank for the same reason and had to drill out one of the breathers on that, a simple task with a small drill bit, I did mine in situ. I doubt I'll try and remove them though, just grease them a bit should be enough I think. I must have a look at my original tanks breathers in due course,might be a common thing.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
Moco1961

Hmmm, that didn’t go well, Mark came over and we didn’t make any impression, beginning to think a previous owner may have glued it in ! Off to Halfords
Old 03-07-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Sorry to read this frustrating thread Mike!

This might be of interest to you, probably worth a visit as it's in Wales I believe, so reachable for you. It's a very skilled lady who makes the tanks.
I know she has made tanks to fit Monster frames, but probably not Monster tanks as such.
Nothing looks like it phases them though and well sub £1000 for a bespoke tank, with your spare as a pattern.

https://tabclassics.com/
Old 03-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
ChrisC2925

Bike: M600
On Blackadder tomorrow then Mike?
ChrisC2925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #9
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Sorry to read this frustrating thread Mike!

This might be of interest to you, probably worth a visit as it's in Wales I believe, so reachable for you. It's a very skilled lady who makes the tanks.
I know she has made tanks to fit Monster frames, but probably not Monster tanks as such.
Nothing looks like it phases them though and well sub £1000 for a bespoke tank, with your spare as a pattern.

https://tabclassics.com/
Hi Gary, I have spoken to them previously and they can’t do one I am afraid,thanksfor the link though. It has led me to have a thought, if the breathers were gunged up, on my original tank, has that contributed to the rash in the plastic ?
Old 03-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC2925 View Post
On Blackadder tomorrow then Mike?
99% sure ,but with the original tank, I have the replacement upside down with 3in 1 penetration oil soaking around the breather thread.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #11
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

I had this happen to me with an S2R800 tank, in the end I drilled out the plastic fitting to 8.8mm (not to deep obviously!) and the tapped them to 1/8"BSP and fitted a hose barb fitting.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #12
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Same here with an S2R tank, though unblocked. Drilled out and replaced with a brass fitting
Old 04-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #13
jerry
Old Git

Why cant they make Monster tanks at TAB is it the shape ????? or complexity ???
Old 04-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #14
Moco1961

Complexity I think Gerry, there is a whole lot going on inside the tank I noticed