UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » Going for Gold.. Help please!

Old 02-05-2024, 06:27 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Going for Gold.. Help please!

When I first got my Monster 11 years ago, I gave it a quick spruce up and then got on with the business of riding it.
One of the things I wanted to do was paint the cases a nice Gold colour the same as I'd seen on Rob's M1000 race bike project at the time.

At the time I squirted some VHT Gold on in the hope that it was close, but now I want the proper colour!

Rob has been tirelessly helpful with sourcing that colour engine paint, but I've been foiled at every turn.
Emily's driver (Rod) has also tried hard to help me.

I tried to order this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385079921057 But the listing was suddenly ended due to "An error in the listing" It has not become available again and all attempts at contacting GPColors has failed including eBay messaging and emails in English and Italian. All have been ignored.

Then Rob suggested Stardust Colours who list Magnesium engine Gold, but having emailed them, I just get a very blunt answer say we haven't got any, and won't be getting any!

I suspect in my suspicious mind that Ducati(Audi) have pulled the rug as the colour is always described as Ducati Magnesium Gold, Or Ducati Magnesio Oro.

I've seen a Gold caliper paint that looks like it might be similar at a push, sold under the name of Stemma https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175563128...evt=1&mkcid=28
This is a brush on Gloss. I want to spray it and end up with a satin finish. Messaging the various sellers has again not generated any replies whatsoever and all I'm asking them is, what thinners do I need to spray it and is there a satin lacquer I can coat it with?
I'll probably take a punt on a tin just to see if there's any info on the tin!

A search for Stemma has drawn complete blanks, but I do suspect that it's based in Ireland and might be a dodgy false brand name? Anyone got any clues?

I'm asking for help please, to find some Magnesium Gold engine or caliper paint anywhere (Preferably Europe or UK).
Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 02-05-2024 at 06:30 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:21 PM   #2
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Have Cerakote got something suitable? Heard great things about their air dry product (Buzzer was trying it out and seems impressed, and has created a "how to at home" guide on his website.

https://www.cerakote.co.uk/product-c...tings/glacier/
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:57 PM   #3
Nickj

Bike: S2r
There's some local guys doing cerakote over in malern and it does look nice.
I was thinking about having some bits done but not got round to it yet, dropped by and had a look at what they were doing.
The prep is meticulous, degrease, cook, degrease, surface etch, degrease, paint, cook to cure.
I've seen some bike casings they've done on a few bikes, looks very nice and better than standard finishes.
I'd guess that the surface etching would mean the coating actually sticks!
Old 02-05-2024, 08:03 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I have seen Cerakoted bits on bikes and it is a nice finish for sure, but I don't really want to take the clutch case off, and I can't see a Gold like the Magnesium Gold on their colour charts.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:40 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Found that Cerakote seem to be based in Newmarket, which is not many turns of a wheel from me.
Also found this on their website which is a mix of 4 Cerakote colours, but not sure if the black is just for the ring?
https://www.cerakote.com/project-gal...i-carter-color

Could get a bit salty if I need to buy 3 or 4 tins at $35 a pop!
Old 03-05-2024, 08:18 AM   #6
Nickj

It would be worth talking to your local guys, they probably have a shelf of stock colours but who knows if they'd sell you a small quantity.
So while 'researching' the how to you have to think

# Is there an alternative paint
These are all in the same family of paints, sprayable with a ceramic content.
Norrels molyresin crops up in searches but it's get very limited coulour ways, no gold and no cheaper. Mostly available in the US and used as a gun finish.
Duracoat, again crops up but again is limited in colours, the only near metallic they do is a burnt bronze that's matt and too dull a colour.
Sprayable expoxy might be an option, wheel paint springs to mind as the colour ranges will cover a gold type finish, Stardust colours do rattle cans of this for about £43 a shot of a gold colour. They also do a liquid metal paint which is cheaper but more a 2k type paint

# Is it feasible to anodise the casing?
First pro is it is a tighter bond to the material than paint will be but the drawback is the colour range you can achieve is much more limited.

I'd go with cerakote or the wheel paint and be quite likely to farm it out to someone who has all the kit and experience to do a good job. Stripping epoxy or cerakote would be a real pain if it didn't come out as expected.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:45 AM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for taking time to think about this Nick, some good tips there.
I'll investigate those other companies you mention and I'll probably nip into the nearest Cerakote "applicator" when I can, there's a couple within range. Including the HQ.
The people who mixed the Gold for that tank cap are in France and only give a phone number for contact so it could be fun trying to find out their formula.

Stardust (also French) suggested BC71 as being close to Magnesium Gold, but it's not a high temperature paint.

Anodising is out of the equation as I don't want to take the clutch case off and getting an exact shade of Gold is extremely difficult. I've been down that avenue before with forks.
Nasher has professional dealings with anodising companies and admits to them being very frustrating.

Spray gun is no problem as I have a good supply of air now and quite a collection of spray guns!

I might pay Ketts a visit too as they are very helpful, but I don't have a sample of what I want except photos... Actually come to think of it a rear brake master would be a good start.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:50 AM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I'd really like to know why GPColors have pulled Ducati Magnesium Gold engine paint from their listings.
What would be really cool is for someone fluent in Italian to phone them and see if they could weedle a tin or two out of them. Capo would have been good at that.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:36 AM   #9
Kato
Dismantled

Might not help as in the states, but i beleive this is the color you are seaking Gary

https://www.colorrite.com/product/du...anium-2092.cfm

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:17 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yes, thanks Rob.
They actually do the Magnesium Gold, but all attempts at filling in the order form failed completely.
It only offers USA and Canadia* as shipping destinations in a drop down box.
It also insists on filling in a state from a drop down box and won't procced with an order unless the fields are filled. So I'm buggered by that!
If I don't get any joy locally, I'll try them again with an email and hope they will ship to UK.

* Where the Canadians come from.
Old 08-05-2024, 07:07 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I've spoken to Colorite in the USA and they bluntly told me they can't ship to the UK.
So I think I'm screwed trying to get this colour unless Ceracote can work a miracle!
Old 09-05-2024, 07:24 AM   #12
Kato
Dismantled

DO you have a good sample of the colour ??

Then take it to an Automotive paint supplier and they should e able to match it for you !!! some will even put into a rattle can if that what you want

Old 09-05-2024, 07:29 AM   #13
Kato
Dismantled

How about
https://www.rapidpaints.co.uk/

10 miles up the road from you

Old 09-05-2024, 08:20 AM   #14
Nickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
How about
https://www.rapidpaints.co.uk/

10 miles up the road from you
I've used them before, I needed a rattle can to patch up some scratches on some old paint that had faded a bit so using the original colour would have looked a bit obvious.
It ended up a pretty good match.
Old 09-05-2024, 09:45 AM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yes indeed, thanks guys.
My next move is going to be a trip to Ketts in Norwich, who are my go to for auto paint.

They have a good photo spectrometer, but importantly a couple of blokes there who know exactly how to use it.

I haven't put any fluid in my new 4 pad calipers yet, so I think I'll see if they can match a paint to the anodized caliper. The colour is cock on for what I want.

I'll be chancing ordinary base coat in a "warm" application, and it will be sandwiched between the VHT below and then coated with Satin VHT lacquer.
I actually used cellulose on my first Monster and it seemed to work okay on the outer covers.