UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Gaskets...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
JayJosephS4RS

Gaskets...

Fired up the Monster for a little idle. Let it warm up.. Let the parts move. Mainly so I could hear the glorious sound and gas myself with the smell of burning oil/fuel again...

Noticed a tiny leak coming from the timing inspection cover. Took it off, cleaned and put back on. Noticed it has no gasket. Just seems to be metal to metal. Is this right or should it have a silicone gasket at least?
I also removed and cleaned the special screws from the front cylinder head cover as they were corroding and looked bobbins. Now look spickspandozie... but also noticed they have no gasket either... just metal to metal.

I can’t believe that screws and covers that are there to stop hot oil spewing from the engine have no gaskets. Should they have gaskets? I have some Abro red gasket maker in the garage, would it be advisable to gasket those points of contact?

Also does anyone know the correct bolt torque for the timing inspection cover and the cylinder cover special screws as I’ve just pinched them up hand tight and then turned a fraction more... is this correct?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited by JayJosephS4RS; 14-02-2018 at 05:00 PM..