UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Returning rider

Old 04-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Wrider

Bike: S4r
Returning rider

Getting back in to riding after 3 years, last bike was an SV650, have previously owned a monster 600 and 620. Been addicted to twins my whole biking life 😎.
Currently have 5k to spend, have my heart set on a monster and have seen a 796 abs I really like but open to suggestions.
Wrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Welcome back.
Lots of nice Monsters out there.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Wrider, good luck with you search, I believe the 796 is holding it's money very well so will probably only go up in value.

Last edited by mickj; 05-07-2019 at 10:32 AM..
mickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Wrider

Going to view this Monday, https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323834147946

Anything in particular to be aware of?
Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Plastic fuel tanks are prone to expand and distort.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome aboard, Wrider, and good choice (I have the 1100 Evo).

The one you're going to see looks like it has some nice extras, (carbon bits and Termis), but don't be tempted to pay extra for what the seller describes as 'rare'. Around 650 of the 796 model were registered, (second only to the 696), and the black, ('Diamond Black Silk'!), was a standard colour from new along with red and white, so it's not like it was a limited edition.

I don't know where the seller went for his belt change but £700! Really! Last year I had my valves done at Moto Rapido, (which includes removal and replacement of the belts), for half that.

As Darren says, the plastic tanks can swell from the ethanol in fuel but it's not such a problem on the 696/797/1100 range as the tank itself is covered by plastic skins. You may only notice it has expanded if you have to remove the tank and then find it difficult to replace it. If you're concerned, just use Esso premium, which, in most of the UK, is ethanol-free.

I see from the eBay photos that the clutch lever looks scratched and it has replacement bar-ends, which suggests it might have been over so check carefully for any signs of damage.

Finally, the levers themselves look like 'shorty' versions. Some people find the clutch pull heavy even with a standard lever so a short version will make it feel worse - maybe bargain for replacements.

Anyway, good luck with your hunt and let us know how you get on.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Sounds good but as noted not actually as rare as might be hinted at, more rare because the people that have them are probably keeping them. But it looks well fitted out.
As with all of these things if you have a look and you get that overwhelming feeling of lust for the bike then it's the one you ought to get, otherwise walk away.

If you are planning on laying the bike up over winter then drain the tank and leave it somewhere warm and dry for a few months.
The water in the plastic will flash out and the tank shrink back to close to where it started,
Then seal it with one of the slow set epoxy kits you can buy and it won't give you any problems in the future. Even if it looks good for size then it isn't a bad idea to seal it anyway.

On the same theme I have an ex swollen S2R tank in scratched orange that's been sitting in the dry for 6 months so will be close to standard again.
Anyone want's it let me know.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It would be good to have original exhaust system if they still have it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Wrider

Looking at the MOT record I can see it has definitely been over at some point as it’s had a bent brake pedal.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #10
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
Looking at the MOT record I can see it has definitely been over at some point as it’s had a bent brake pedal.
Nice detective work! Look forward to hearing how it goes on Monday.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: