UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » 1100 Evo - Battery dilemma

Old 29-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #16
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
That’s definitely an issue, we checked the breather was clear last summer but you should never get a ‘fountain’ even with a full tank in a heatwave.

Sounds like a blockage? I would definitely get that checked out because I have heard of fuel tanks imploding due to similar problems.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #17
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Suneye had a fountain from his evo.
Here's three threads.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...light=fountain
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #18
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I pm’d suneye last summer, just to check plum had’t got his old bike.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Plum View Post
Couple of updates...

I've had my battery replaced because the other one had been damaged by repetitive starts (ignition issue which I thought was because the battery was low) Turns out I have no auto choke and each time she dies she drains the battery trying to fire up again. So I'm gonna take her to a garage where they can run diagnostics, I hope it's just a 'switch' somewhere.

The fuel issue (where it turned into a fountain) isn't an issue in the purest sense. Because of the new EU regulations there's no vapour holes in the petrol cap, so that fizzing is the vapour build up (the exit hose at the bottom clearly doesn't clear it quick enough). It's a common thing where if you're going to open the petrol cap on a warm bike with half a tank or so of fuel you need to open it like a bottle of fizzy water...very gently and slowly to let the vapour ease out.

At least now I know what's going on.
Disappointed to hear that you have the same fuel tank pressure build up issue that my evo had. I hope you get it sorted. If you have any questions about it just PM me.

The battery on my evo would quite happily go for several months through winter without being charged.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #20
MerlinPV12

Bike: M1100evo
Charging option

I’m without power or sunlight in my garage so I’ve been using a CLT 400 Powerpack that comes with an inverter for the past 4yrs. The Powerpack also has the option to add an external battery, so I use a leaisue battery to provide longer charging/trickle time.

I use a Ctek charger that has been wired to the battery. When not in use, the Ctek lead from the battery is just tucked up under the seat. This system will charge the monsters Lithium battery in under 4 hours, it will also charge my 1200RT in about 6>8hrs. I have found that I can leave the Powerpack and lesuire battery attached to the bike for 5 > 7 days and it is still happily on trickle. This usually gives me a window where I can take the bikes out on dry roads so the mechanicals stay moving and lubed.

Have not noticed any ill effects on the batteries (as yet, touch wood!) and it works works for me. Hope every one is well and has a chance to ride over the Easter break
Old 30-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #21
Paul_

Bike: M696
I tried advising of a powerpack with an inverter earlier in this thread, the responses were not favourable.

Thanks Merlin PV12 for offering the same advice as they do work to solve this problem of having a storage facility with no power.
Paul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #22
Miss Plum

A little update.

She's been laid up with MD racing for past few weeks. Diagnostics are running fine however sensors seem to be lying. The step-up (auto-choke) sensor is being replaced as they can only come to the conclusion that it's failing even though readings say it's working!

Also pressure valve is being replaced, again there's no bad readings coming from ECU but there is a definite pressure build up which the system isn't managing.

Luckily it's under warranty and with very good hands! Here's hoping I might have her back before I go away to Japan!
Old 21-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
Miss Plum

Wow! 2 months later I finally get my bike back! I've been to Japan and back but due to awaiting parts from Italy repairs had been delayed.

Probably thought best to write what was on the invoice s(you all might have better understanding than me)

"Starting Issue, Fuel tank pressure issue, Fault codes cleared down to see if problem current or historic, MC runs when hot but won't start when cold, checked fuel pump by pressure testing, replaced fuel filter, checked all hoses and fittings, checked stepper motor control, functions all ok, checked breather system on fuel tank found no issues, checked valve clearances found NO clearance on both exhaust valves unable to determine what measurement is due to no gap. Resolved by going down the scale in gap of 0.10 until able to gain clearance this took 3 attempts per valve. Also found catastrophic wear and tear to belt tensioner roller bearings this in turn has caused damage to timing belts which will need to be replaced."

Please let me have your thoughts on the above - I'm getting the feeling that the dealer I bought this bike from was not truthful in saying this bike had a 'Full Big Service' just before I bought it!
Old 21-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #24
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Jeez, that sounds horrendous! Exhaust valves with no clearance No clearance when cold. Exhaust valve open when hot, are your exhausts badly discoloured?

Last edited by Mossleymonster; 21-06-2018 at 11:15 PM..
Mossleymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #25
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Plum View Post
Wow! 2 months later I finally get my bike back! I've been to Japan and back but due to awaiting parts from Italy repairs had been delayed.

Probably thought best to write what was on the invoice s(you all might have better understanding than me)

"Starting Issue, Fuel tank pressure issue, Fault codes cleared down to see if problem current or historic, MC runs when hot but won't start when cold, checked fuel pump by pressure testing, replaced fuel filter, checked all hoses and fittings, checked stepper motor control, functions all ok, checked breather system on fuel tank found no issues, checked valve clearances found NO clearance on both exhaust valves unable to determine what measurement is due to no gap. Resolved by going down the scale in gap of 0.10 until able to gain clearance this took 3 attempts per valve. Also found catastrophic wear and tear to belt tensioner roller bearings this in turn has caused damage to timing belts which will need to be replaced."

Please let me have your thoughts on the above - I'm getting the feeling that the dealer I bought this bike from was not truthful in saying this bike had a 'Full Big Service' just before I bought it!
I would say that sounds like pretty much the complete opposite of a 'Full Big Service' so hopefully MD Racing will have taken photos of the issues so you can present them to the supplying dealer for their 'comments' and hopefully some remuneration as I suspect the purchase price reflected the bike having had such a comprehensive service history.

How many miles had the bike done when you bought it and did MD Racing elaborate on what they considered to be 'catastrophic wear and tear' to the timing belt bearings?

I ask as there is a lot of talk around the forum at the moment regarding belts and bearing replacement with what seems to be a pattern forming of the newer bikes going through bearings much more frequently than the older models, and I wonder if this has anything to do with the new single piece design which has replaced the two part bearings if bought from a Ducati dealer.
Old 27-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #26
Miss Plum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I would say that sounds like pretty much the complete opposite of a 'Full Big Service' so hopefully MD Racing will have taken photos of the issues so you can present them to the supplying dealer for their 'comments' and hopefully some remuneration as I suspect the purchase price reflected the bike having had such a comprehensive service history.

How many miles had the bike done when you bought it and did MD Racing elaborate on what they considered to be 'catastrophic wear and tear' to the timing belt bearings?

I ask as there is a lot of talk around the forum at the moment regarding belts and bearing replacement with what seems to be a pattern forming of the newer bikes going through bearings much more frequently than the older models, and I wonder if this has anything to do with the new single piece design which has replaced the two part bearings if bought from a Ducati dealer.
Hi Flip,

I've got all the old parts and photographic records as they were required by the warranty company. I know that even though I have warranty insurance it doesn't affect my legal rights on pursuing the previous seller. Which I will once I have the bike back - there seems to be further problems with the fuel pump now!

The catastrophic damage was collapsed bearings and the whole part would no longer move. There was also scuffing/scarring all over the belt where it had been catching. It was heavily corroded which would have been obvious to any garage looking at it. The damage couldn't have been done within 700 miles. This has been longer term damage.