UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Good bye lads and ladies.

Old 21-06-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
Fuzzy

Good bye lads and ladies.

So the time has come, I've gotten rid of the least reliable bag of **** I think I've ever owned and have gone back to Yamaha.

Update on the m821.
Failures.
2016 821 - Throttle position sensor, temperature sensors, can line, black box, rear wiring harness, exhaust valve motor, main harness, main ECU, dash, fuel cap lock mechanism, rear wiring harness again, ABS sensor and a second TPS.

2017 Ducati replaced the bike.
Failures.
Same as above plus a cracked swing arm and oil pump leading to an engine failure.

Both bikes had full Ducati service history, 12,566 miles on the 2016 bike and 7500 on the 2017 bike. Neither bike made it past 8 months.

I will never stop appreciating the design, however I will never buy another. MT-10 might not look as pretty in the garage but she turns both wheels under her own steam
Old 21-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Sounds just like the things I had happen to two Yams and a Honda .... Not had any problems with Monsters though I have gone for older ones so they have gone through any early fails/recalls.

Shame but everyone makes Friday bikes sometimes, it's just unlucky when you get one.

Enjoy the Yam should be plenty of summer left for you
Old 21-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #3
stopintime

Did you or maybe the previous owners use pressure washers? Just curious.

Good luck with an easier mc life. Welcome back later!
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
Did you or maybe the previous owners use pressure washers? Just curious.

Good luck with an easier mc life. Welcome back later!

I've never seen a pressure washer crack a swinging arm Just sayin.
Old 21-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
Fookin ell, you must have done half of those miles back and forth to the stealers!

I like the mt10-sp, ticks a lot of boxes.
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Shi - ugar! Thats an awful tale and I would likely be moving on too had I experienced the same. I hope you have better luck with your next bike.
Old 21-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
stopintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossleymonster View Post
I've never seen a pressure washer crack a swinging arm Just sayin.
Too bad - it's spectacular to watch

(it's a fair question since everything else is electrical)
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
Fuzzy

Second bike was stripped as sold as parts by the dealer who took it back, first went back to the factory. Harnesses were killed by vibrations and heat causing shorts which were responsible for the dash, ecu, black box failures. Exhaust failure was down to the motor sizing (crap trap), TPS died the day i picked it up from the dealership the first time.

It's a shame I love the way the ride, feel and sound.. ducatis are a little less tame than the Japanese bikes but the build really is a joke.

I appreciate that some of you might never have those problems, but 2 bikes with the same problems at roughly the same mileage +/- 200 miles says alot. I hadn't expected bullet proof.. you don't buy Italian if you want bullet proof... But I also didn't expect to spend 6 weeks going to and from dealerships out the 8 month ownership on each bike on a tow truck, then waiting for weeks on end for new parts.

FYI the second bike to suffer a wiring harness Ducati sent out 13 starter cables labeled as Wiring harnesses followed by a factory engineer with a wiring harness because they thought the dealership were idiots and couldn't tell the difference between a wiring harness and starter cable. 5 weeks without the bike that time
Old 22-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Never heard of such failures. I have a 999 16kmiles, had a hyper sold at 10k (done in 18 months), sold a m695 with 40k miles still used by other owner, 900ss 60k miles then I crashed it, 749 and few others. Never big issues.
Now have 1200r. Fork seal is leaking which is warranty item. No other manufacturer takes seals under warranty. At same time me mates BMW GS cough fire at a shaft..... Wtf

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote