UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » s4 stalling...

Old 13-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
bonesaw

s4 stalling...

Hi folks
I had my s4 out at the weekend for the first long spin..I'm getting used to the gearing and town driving..The only problem I had was that when I slowed down to stop or nearly stop, the bike was cutting out..As the day went on I found myself having to keep hitting the throttle and slipping the clutch in towns to keep it from stalling in first gear..Any ideas?..It's due new belts which are going on this week..Is there a way to adjust how it idles..I felt like using the choke when i got into slow traffic to keep it going but this is obviously not the answer...
Thanks
Old 13-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw View Post
Hi folks
I had my s4 out at the weekend for the first long spin..I'm getting used to the gearing and town driving..The only problem I had was that when I slowed down to stop or nearly stop, the bike was cutting out..As the day went on I found myself having to keep hitting the throttle and slipping the clutch in towns to keep it from stalling in first gear..Any ideas?..It's due new belts which are going on this week..Is there a way to adjust how it idles..I felt like using the choke when i got into slow traffic to keep it going but this is obviously not the answer...
Thanks
If you look at the side of the carbs where the throttle cable goes to, there is a stop that can be adjusted with an 8mm spanner if it is like mine. I had the same when mine was new to me. Other than that, maybe the plugs need cleaning or changing?
Good luck.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
bonesaw

thankks rally..Ill try it..
Old 13-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
animaluk

also open airbox S4's just dont like this mod I had open air box on mine used to stall all the time at low speeds. Ray at Rosso told me to close it and it would stop, put the normal lid on and it worked a treat
Old 13-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quite a lot of S4's seem to do this, mine did, most seem to get used to it and just tap the starter and away again. Pain in backside though.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
weimeranerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
If you look at the side of the carbs where the throttle cable goes to, there is a stop that can be adjusted with an 8mm spanner if it is like mine. I had the same when mine was new to me. Other than that, maybe the plugs need cleaning or changing?
Good luck.
Tweaked my throttle stop nut as Rally suggests and it cured mine.
Old 13-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by weimeranerman View Post
Tweaked my throttle stop nut as Rally suggests and it cured mine.
Well done, pleased to hear it.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Phatty

When mine starts stalling it's usually water getting into the front plug/coil or hot air pushing the rear coil out.
Old 30-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
bonesaw

Up'd the idle and got belts done..no problems since..Thanks