UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » At Last

Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
David695

Talking At Last

Hi Everyone

I first noticed Monsters around 2001, liking the "naked" look my thoughts turned to buying one until...... my wife said "you're not getting a bike called a Monster" I didn't expect this because she's never stopped me buying cars or boats so I assumed she was concerned about my safety!!

Sevenish years of quiet persistence and in May 2008 she said "If you really want one just get one" The next day I took her to the local dealer to show her one (I only planned on spending a couple of grand but this was a better way for her to see her first Monster than scanning the web). In the showroom was a new Black & Red 695, the salesman explained about the new model but the 695 was the look that first caught my eye back in 2001, I like the low upswept exhausts. The salesman explained he could do a deal but I knew it would be more than by £2,000 self imposed limit. "Just get it" said my wife "you've wanted one for a while and you won't need to spend time tarting this one up" Even though she was right (as usual), she had take me for lunch and persuade me to go back and do a deal with the salesman.

It's mine now , I've only done 1100 miles because I work away a lot but plan on putting more miles on it this summer, I've just ordered some bar risers and plan on adding a gloss black belly pan (any ideas?) and carbon side panels.

It was defo worth waiting for
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Snips

Welcome to the UKMOC, and congrats on the bike.

How about some photos of the bike, please?

Last edited by Snips; 03-05-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Welcome to the fold Dave, hope you have lots more fun miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David695 View Post
"Just get it" said my wife "you've wanted one for a while and you won't need to spend time tarting this one up" Even though she was right (as usual), she had take me for lunch and persuade me to go back and do a deal with the salesman.
loving the quotes above , a Monster is never complete there's always one one thing to get or do to make it perfect anf there are so many bits and pieces you can get!!! , might be she wasn't quite correct this time !
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
southfrance

Wink

Belly pan is a good idea, it will protect the engine from stone chips, how about 14 tooth front sprocket, will make riding in 2nd smoother and make 6th more usable, carbon Termi exhausts for sound and looks, short or chopped tail, short carbon rear hugger, some bar end mirrors for the old school look err.... rear brake light with indicators eliminates rear blinkers and small front LED blinkers, together will make the bike cleaner looking, oooh ! and some Rizoma belt covers with see throught panels so you can whatch the err.. belts go round, when you've done that lot let us know and WE can do some more.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
David695

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yep, my wife didn't know that a monster would always be a work in progress but that's part of the fun, it's good to start with a new one because I'm such a fussy b*st*rd and because of work time is limited. This way I can start with mods insted of rennovation. As far as mods go I like the look of the Rizoma belt covers that Southfrance suggested and they will defo go on my list as will a short tail, but not too short as my wife rides with me and if the tail is too short she will feel like she could fall off the back!!!. Still waiting for the bar risers but I think I will start my search for a GRP bellypan.